Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military training  (Read 1072 times)

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military training
« on: March 29, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »

So, as I am quite new, i have a few questions. xD again.. xD

This time, it`s about the military... again. xD
Only, it`s about training. :) So, How do i know that they are actually training? it`s training months ( 2 months on, 2 months off ) And all they do is stand there in the barracks. Do they actually train? And another thing, 2 of my dwarven soldiers aren`t even IN the barracks! xD How come?

And one last thing: I sent my marksdwarves ( 2 of them ) to hunt down some annoying animals that spammed me down with " *Someone* has cancelled drink : Interrupted by: " but, they don`t shoot any bolts! :( I have been in the military screen to apply som ammunition, but they don`t seem to use it. the same with training. I have set up some archery range, and given my dwarves some wooden bolts for training. also, i cannot enable or disable "use in training" or "use in combat" -.- oh, the confusion...

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military training
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:47:12 pm »

So, as I am quite new, i have a few questions. xD again.. xD

This time, it`s about the military... again. xD
Only, it`s about training. :) So, How do i know that they are actually training? it`s training months ( 2 months on, 2 months off ) And all they do is stand there in the barracks. Do they actually train? And another thing, 2 of my dwarven soldiers aren`t even IN the barracks! xD How come?

And one last thing: I sent my marksdwarves ( 2 of them ) to hunt down some annoying animals that spammed me down with " *Someone* has cancelled drink : Interrupted by: " but, they don`t shoot any bolts! :( I have been in the military screen to apply som ammunition, but they don`t seem to use it. the same with training. I have set up some archery range, and given my dwarves some wooden bolts for training. also, i cannot enable or disable "use in training" or "use in combat" -.- oh, the confusion...

Do the archers have quivers to store their bolts in?

Read up here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 03:50:33 pm »

Do the archers have quivers to store their bolts in?

Read up here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military

Quivers?.. *Facepalm*

Okay. that should clear that up. for I don`t have any! xD *sigh*

But, that don`t explain why not everyone is at the barracks to train, and how do i know they do?
Also, do they need quivers for training?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:39:59 pm »

You didn't have enough quivers? Huh...

Quivers are strange. I always have enough of them despite the fact I can never remember having made or traded them or even had that many hunters come with migrants. There is always enough quivers for everyone. They are like the exact opposite of socks in real life.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:53:51 pm »

Quivers are strange. I always have enough of them despite the fact I can never remember having made or traded them or even had that many hunters come with migrants. There is always enough quivers for everyone. They are like the exact opposite of socks in real life.

Hehe. :D i got my claws into some quivers, so now both my marksswarves are shooting ahead on the archery range, even when they`re not on duty. -.- Military mechanics confuse me. Now, lets just hope they shoot the right bolts at the enemies. will try now to see if they actually shoot, as i have no idea how to see if they are equipped properly. :/

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 05:51:22 pm »

Hehe. :D i got my claws into some quivers, so now both my marksswarves are shooting ahead on the archery range, even when they`re not on duty. -.- Military mechanics confuse me. Now, lets just hope they shoot the right bolts at the enemies. will try now to see if they actually shoot, as i have no idea how to see if they are equipped properly. :/

Press v then mouse over the dwarves and press i for inventory to see what they have equipped. Soldiers will sometimes train even when not set to be training if they have nothing else to do, usually individual combat drills which for marksdwarves I guess could mean shooting at targets.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 06:10:17 pm »

To find out if your dwarves are training look for them in the unit screen (press "u"). It should tell you there what they're doing. Or you can press "v" and move the cursor over your dwarves and press "g". If you see Combat Drill, Archery Practice, Watching/Leading Demonstration it means they're training.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:17:57 pm »

Did you set the squad to "active" in the "alerts" section of the military screen?
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:53:56 am »

To find out if your dwarves are training look for them in the unit screen (press "u"). It should tell you there what they're doing. Or you can press "v" and move the cursor over your dwarves and press "g". If you see Combat Drill, Archery Practice, Watching/Leading Demonstration it means they're training.

It says they are "waiting for wrestling/dodging" demonstration or something like that. and only 3 of my soldiers are in the barracks. why arent everyone there?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »

Sjo, good to see the archers are practicing.
 There are 2 main schedules for the military, Active, and Inactive. Any month with No Scheduled Orders, under any of those two schedules your archers will target practice, when their jobs allow it.
  For Active Schedule, military takes priority, under Inactive, jobs take priority.

When you assign them to train a month, will give lessons, learn lessons, spar, and combat train(This one gets me confused). The train order lets them learn, refresh skills. For Archers, improving Dodge, and Shield use is nice. When they get highly trained in archery, you can cut down bolt production, perhaps produce bolts to practice with every few months to keep skill from getting rusty. Fledgling archers need large amounts of bolts to level up with, experienced archers need less target practice, thus less bolts.

If you want them to practice a lot when you do not need them to work, put them under the Active Schedule, with no orders for each month of the yearly schedule. If you need them to work more, put them under Inactive, with no scheduled orders that year. Remember its easy to toggle them between Active, Inactive from the "S"quad Schedule screen, or any new alert you create.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration