Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Herbalists, Stills and Stockpiles  (Read 919 times)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Herbalists, Stills and Stockpiles
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:54:55 am »

I currently have two herbalists stripping the surface, but even with plant stockpiles scattered over the landscape, they're still bringing everything all the way back to the fort, which I'd rather dedicated haulers did. According to the wiki, herbalist labours are linked to stills, and they seem to be using the stockpile by my stills to store their harvest, so do I just need to plonk down a bunch of stills out in the wilderness with plant stockpiles adjacent?

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Herbalists, Stills and Stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:05:07 am »

I am not sure of why they prefer the primary pile, but making stills will not solve it. The linked to stills thing only means that a dwarf with plant gathering active cab build a still, it doesn't only require brewing.

You could disable plants in your problem pile, maybe make a burrow that covers your plant gathering area + desired stockpile and assign the gatherers to it?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:15:00 am »

I had thought of setting up burrows, but I'd have to set them up with a little booze and a stack of roasts or keep an eye on them(the horror!) and relieve them when they get hungry or thirsty. Problem with banning plants from the stockpile around the main still is, well, it's the stockpile around the main still. Ideally I'd have the herbalists filling up stockpiles in the wilderness, haulers dragging the barrels back to the main still's stockpile, and the brewer brewing in their workshop-cum-bedroom.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:17:55 am »

Yeah, I thought about how we used to set up stockpiles taking from other stockpiles, but that just means your gatherers would probably leave the feeder piles empty, and continue to haul back to the main. Still worth a try before going the big burrows route, imo, if those commands still exist.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:24:07 am »

Cancel food hauling for your herbalists.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:41:54 am »

There are still "take from pile" commands, and none of my herbalists have food hauling on. I'll try the wilderness stills, see if that works.

Edit: Oh, for crying out loud... Stills don't work, and burrows don't work. Defined a burrow, assigned my herbalists to it, and they refuse to use the stockpile, with a barrel, which is inside the burrow, they insist on using a plant barrel in the main fort, which is inaccessible to them, so they just stand in place, spamming announcements of job cancellations rather than put it in the barrel which is available to them. The only thing which does work is physically blocking the main fort off, by locking the hatches in my case.

I know pretty much the whole challenge of Dorf Fort is the cat-herding aspect of controlling your dorfs, but this is a little screwy. My current idea for solving this is to have the brewery shaft separate from the main fort, so I can keep it locked most of the time, and only bring in above ground plants when the herbalists have filled their stockpiles, or I need to bring in more food for the brewers. That'll work, but it seems heavy handed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:20:41 pm by Nidokoenig »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:34:58 pm »

Well, here is some stuff you might want to know:
1) Burrows do not prevent starving/dehydrating dwarfs from wating somewhere else (90% sure about this one :P )
2) If your outdoor stockpiles required barrels, normal dwarf would have brought them already... So something is not right there...
3) like the other poster said: disable food hauling.
4) Why don't you just farm?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:17:34 pm »

The outdoor stockpiles do have barrels, though. And the herbalists already have food hauling turned off, it's just normal herbalist behaviour to bring the plants back to a stockpile rather than dump it on the ground. I just want to make them use the nearest one, rather than haul every gorram thing halfway across the map and back.

As for why I'm not just farming, one, I'm using my pony mod and herbalism is better suited to the pegasi I have gathering plants due to their speed, whereas I already have two legendary planter earth ponies doing the actual farming, and two, I use a shedload of wood(partly because I love using potash to make huge stacks) and any shrub or tree harvested has an equal chance of being replaced by a tree or shrub, so I like to keep on top the the shrub situation.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:13 pm »

You can try making a small stockpile near the still that only accepts 1 type of plant (whichever you're brewing), disable above ground plants from the main stockpile.  The planter will choose a different stockpile, but there is no guarantee it will be the one closest to them.  Change which plant the small pile accepts based on what you want to brew.  Not sure if it will help, but it's worth a shot.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 02:00:41 pm »

Sounds like a fair idea, except for when I want to brew above ground plants(I tend to have dedicate dwarves who only ever do one thing). Eh, I'm about to update my mod so I'll be scrubbing this fort anyway, I'll just build airlocks to the brewery in the next one: roasts and new plants go in, drink comes out, doors get switched once a season or so. I wonder if "locked in a brewery" is a positive thought...

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 02:54:01 pm »

I currently have two herbalists stripping the surface, but even with plant stockpiles scattered over the landscape, they're still bringing everything all the way back to the fort, which I'd rather dedicated haulers did. According to the wiki, herbalist labours are linked to stills, and they seem to be using the stockpile by my stills to store their harvest, so do I just need to plonk down a bunch of stills out in the wilderness with plant stockpiles adjacent?
forget the many stockpiles.
if you want the herbalists to do the picking, and the haulers to bring it home, just disable food hauling on your herbalists.
i do the same thing with wood hauling on my wood cutters.

works wonders for speed and efficiency.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:45 pm »

Nope, I turned off everything but plant gathering(and medical skills, but they should have no effect) and they still store the plants in a barrel. They don't just drop it on the ground. I think this is more to do with the "store plant in a barrel" job, which may be bypassing a food hauling permission check because it's plant gathering, and we know that storing things in barrels isn't all that dynamic from the tools bug, which would lock up food stockpiles stockpiles if empty but unfillable "containers" were present. Basically, it's either the airlock, or try messing with the aggressiveness of dorfs putting things into barrels.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 07:51:27 pm »

I don't know if this will work, but have you tried specifying all plant stockpiles to accept ZERO barrels, and all non-plant stockpiles to accept no plants? If you're right about the barrel jobs being handled differently from plant hauling jobs, that may solve it by forcing no barrels in any stockpiles to be plant barrels, thus never queuing that job.