Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released  (Read 183148 times)

Bellerophon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2011, 11:09:35 am »

Is water not flowing into a new area after melting if you dig or remove a wall whilst it's frozen a new bug?

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2011, 12:01:29 pm »

I'd really like the Toad to announce a 6+ month release-free dev arc of something awesome so we can go back to the 40d days... playing and dreaming.  Good times.

Nothing stopping you from playing as if that was really happening. I've actually been doing that since 31.12. And I expect my personal release-free dev arc to last another year or two.

(I'm also in denial. It'll be a year or two before I can afford a computer that can run the newer versions. :'( )
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2011, 12:04:33 pm »

I'd really like the Toad to announce a 6+ month release-free dev arc of something awesome so we can go back to the 40d days... playing and dreaming.  Good times.

Nothing stopping you from playing as if that was really happening. I've actually been doing that since 31.12. And I expect my personal release-free dev arc to last another year or two.

(I'm also in denial. It'll be a year or two before I can afford a computer that can run the newer versions. :'( )

Actually, the last few releases have contained some FPS improvements. You might want to give the current version a brief test drive.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2011, 12:23:18 pm »

Is water not flowing into a new area after melting if you dig or remove a wall whilst it's frozen a new bug?

Yes, definitely.  I can't find any existing reports, although it's kind of reminiscent of this bug.

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:47 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that caverns are now ~20 levels below the surface?  Worldgen is set to have the standard 5 levels above cavern one, with three caverns.  Something seems wacky.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2011, 01:31:56 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that caverns are now ~20 levels below the surface?  Worldgen is set to have the standard 5 levels above cavern one, with three caverns.  Something seems wacky.

I believe that 5 is the minimum. I also believe that the number refers to the number of layers, not levels, and that many layers are more than a level thick. (I'm not as sure about that second fact as I am about the first)

That said, I feel like my embark has too few levels. Four to the top of the first cavern, eight to the bottom, and 13 to the magma (one cavern layer for me.) Of course, I suspect that this is related to the fact I embarked on a major river, something I normally don't do.

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2011, 04:41:27 pm »

Well, going by the wiki:

Z-Levels of stone above the first cavern layer. Making this higher will guarantee at least this many levels to build your fortress, but will have no impact on how many z-levels thick the surface layer is. Also, the top of a cavern may be higher than the rest of a cavern, so in practice there will be more levels than this.

That says Z-levels, and that doesn't mean layers I don't think.  I've altered the setting many times, and even when set to 7 or 8 have never had 20 z-levels between the lowest surface layer and the actual top of the cavern.  Using reveal and several tests, this seems to be consistent through my generated worlds.  It makes for a very different game, and positive or negative, I'm curious if anyone else has come across it.

It also seems as if the caverns themselves are stunted, compared to what I've encountered in the months since they were introduced.  Most caverns in these generated worlds are only ~4 z-levels from top to bottom.  However, why not ask Toady?

Would it be normal for LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1==5 to generate a world with consistently ~20 z-levels between the lowest point of the surface and the very top of the first cavern?  Is this possibly a bug, or intended?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:46:42 pm by Malorn »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:04 pm »

Alas, I submitted a worldgen-crash bug report. Genesis mod + tunings + chosen seed number.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4395
My questionable raws and settings at http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4085
Edit: no crash if I remove my skin-only ghost creature. *sigh* modding is hard sometimes.

I think if you start on hilltop or other high place you might have 50-130 levels to dig down to magma sea. Usually (with minimum cave distances in worldgen settings) I get caves on -8 to -12. Second caves on -15 to 19.

The wiki says .19 introduced alluvial layers but I can't find them in .25's raws. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Alluvial_layer
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:03:55 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2011, 07:11:17 pm »

Starting on a volcano I have 92 Z-levels from the top of my mountain range to the furthest extent down the volcano that was revealed upon embark.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:30 pm »

Any chance of getting the pickup equipment loop bug looked at? I don't know why but it seems really prevalent this version. It's hindering my military and my enjoyment :(

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2011, 11:30:44 pm »

Awesome, I look away for a few days and suddenly DF has 3 new versions out. Glad to see such bugfixes coming out quickly ^^.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2011, 12:32:18 pm »

I check the forum at least once a day and I completely missed the last ..04 versions. Both of my favorite games have (an) awesome update(s) really (really) near my birthday. It's like a birthday present! Last year I got DF2010. Honestly, I don't even get as good presents from my relatives. I want to wait until Mike Mayday and Dwarf Therapist catch up though.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2011, 02:45:26 pm »

DT works with the most recent version
Memento Mori

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2011, 02:47:08 pm »

DT works with the most recent version
thank you, LucasUP and I'll update the LNP when everything gets set.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2011, 03:05:59 pm »

Holy shit, how ghetto is your computer
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27