Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pearls and !!Science!!  (Read 2400 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Pearls and !!Science!!
« on: March 27, 2011, 11:33:08 am »

So far, pearls are something of myths. We need to find out a it more aout pearls, therefor, I propose that we, the modders, overlords of the raws, change the very structure of reality and form a east in our immage. This beast will e tamale to the dwarves and will be as apet at their embark location. The pet shal lay eggs. Also, I proppose that we create another east that lays pearl items. What say you? Are you with me?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Pearls and !!Science!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:57:32 am »

I think we should create a north that is shearable.

WTF are you talking about?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 12:04:50 pm »

What the hell are you talking about? Can we get a translator in here?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:10:27 pm »

Translation: Do pearls or material with the PEARL tag work, and if they do, to what extent?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »

So far, pearls are something of myths. We need to find out a it more aout pearls, therefor, I propose that we, the modders, overlords of the raws, change the very structure of reality and form a east in our immage. This beast will e tamale to the dwarves and will be as apet at their embark location. The pet shal lay eggs. Also, I proppose that we create another east that lays pearl items. What say you? Are you with me?
In case nobody knows what the hell he's talking about, here's a translation of sorts:
"So far, pearls are something of myths. We need to find out more about pearls. Therefore, I propose that we, the modders, overlords of the raws, change the very structure of reality and form a beast in our image. This beast will be tameable to the dwarves and will be a pet at their embark location. The pet shall lay eggs. Also, I propose that we create another beast that lays pearl items. What say you? Are you with me?"
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:42:51 pm »

You gujs don't get jokes. What I mean is :MOD IN A CREATURE THAT MAKES PEARLS FOR GODS SAKE!!! Because I suck at modding. :P

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:57:37 pm »

I'd think a creature that is "shearable" for pearls would work too.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 03:10:47 pm »

We have pearls? Nice. :)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:47:41 pm »

Coral, too, but nobody has ever seen it as far as I know.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 04:19:37 pm »

You gujs don't get jokes. What I mean is :MOD IN A CREATURE THAT MAKES PEARLS FOR GODS SAKE!!! Because I suck at modding. :P

There's nothing funny about illiteracy :P
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 05:09:43 pm »

Actually it's funny but I think not "that kind of funny" the author wanted to show... It just shows that someone didn't go to school :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:28:57 pm »

Actually it's funny but I think not "that kind of funny" the author wanted to show... It just shows that someone didn't go to school :P.

He could be typing under sustained gunfire.  One never knows.

(Though circumstantial evidence favors your suggestion)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 01:46:49 am »

He could be typing under sustained gunfire.  One never knows.

(Though circumstantial evidence favors your suggestion)
I was. My mom like made me have to go clean my room in 3 minutes and this lousy eeepc stinks at typing. So, can anyone try makking the pearl stuff mod because I'm not good at modding.

I came across pearls at the df wiki. It said that pearls had never been seen BUT sometimes, carravans will bring pearl goods.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 02:35:21 pm »

I was. My mom like made me have to go clean my room in 3 minutes and this lousy eeepc stinks at typing. So, can anyone try makking the pearl stuff mod because I'm not good at modding.

I came across pearls at the df wiki. It said that pearls had never been seen BUT sometimes, carravans will bring pearl goods.

The [PEARL] token doesn't seem to have any corresponding effect in the creature files for mussels and oysters.

However, there is a [PEARL] token for material definitions.  I think it would be possible to create a new material, give it the token, and make a creature drop it on death in lieu of a corpse.  If that token works, it should satisfy the existing pearl/ivory reaction.

I'll give it a go tonight (as I have an exam today) and see what I can come up with.

---

UPDATE: I've had success getting a custom creature to drop a new material with a [PEARL] token when it dies.  I was considering giving it a [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] token instead, but I don't think it would be able to reproduce if I did that...  unless I made it a separate caste and...  forget it, I've got too much work right now.

Spoiler: Material (click to show/hide)

I can't be bothered to package and upload these to DFFD at the moment, but if you paste that creature data into a creature raw and the material data into inorganic_other.txt, it will work.  I haven't had time to test the reaction, but that's hard-coded so I don't see why it wouldn't function properly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:34:27 pm by narhiril »