Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Book Thread: Yes im very serious  (Read 6763 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Book Thread: Yes im very serious
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:41:14 pm »

Doesn't seem fair that we are flooding the Happy Thread and others with book talk.  So i created a Book thread, there won't be a specific topic discussed so you guys can talk all you want just don't tear each other apart please.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread: Yes im very serious
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:18:16 am »

Oh, its's this thread again.
We have like 3 now in General Discussion.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:56:53 am »

Currently reading The Male Mind, written by a doctor who specializes in the development of the human brain from conception to death.  The book focuses mainly on the changes brought about by hormones in the male brain and the resulting behaviors.  In other words, there's an explanation for all those bizarre man mannerisms we men share.  I'm only at the teenage stage in the book, and it's already giving me chills in how it thoroughly explains teenage behaviors that I'd entirely forgotten about.  Competition, one-up-man-ship, and even reading neutral faces as potentially negative ones, it's all in there.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:19:24 am »

I recently finished an unabridged copy of "The Journey West" a 2000+ page Chinese epic that is hundreds of years old.  I then went and read "Monster Hunter International" in two days.  Both were excellent examples of their own genres.  I feel totally weird that I read them both though given the massive content difference.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:28:09 am »

Finished reading 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NightTime', good god was that a disappointment! People get so hung on the slightly obscure perspective, and suddenly it's a great book! My ass! Anybody who thinks that people with aspergers think like that is sadly mistaken, so that takes the fun out of that bit. The plot itself was also lacking some what. Ooh, look, we can imply a subplot! Good for you, book, now do it well and we will be getting somewhere!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:43:42 am »

I recently finished an unabridged copy of "The Journey West" a 2000+ page Chinese epic that is hundreds of years old.  I then went and read "Monster Hunter International" in two days.  Both were excellent examples of their own genres.  I feel totally weird that I read them both though given the massive content difference.

Oh my god oh my god

What was your translation?  I've wanted to find a good unabridged and well-footnoted copy of that book since I was a third-grader.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm reading A Streetcar Named Desire right now.  It's so-so.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:46:26 am »

A sixth and final installment in the Earth Children's series will be published March 29, 2011
8)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 02:27:45 am »

I read Monster Hunter Inc awhile ago, it fit well with my normal "fighting the supernatural with liberal application of firepower" tastes, although I didn't care for the ending that much.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still attempting to find the tent here that has bookshelves, but heck if it's still here. I'm not sure how I can lose a tent, especially when there's only thirty or so of them here.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:38:31 am »

I haven't read anything in a long time but the last I remember was Alister Renalds - Redemption Ark I think. He's an amazing sci-fi writer and I love every book of his that Ive read and reread.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:19 am »

If I read books will I become smarter?
Yes.

Smart is kinda overrated though. You should just read about things cause they interest you.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 06:54:09 am »

Yay Monkey King!  :D

I have an English copy and a simplified Chinese copy, can't remember who the translator was (Thomas Cleary maybe?). It's an old one, so probably not the best. Been ages since I touched it.

Pseudo-EDIT: OMFG....WANT. Tsai Chih Chung has done a version of Journey to the West!!! (For those not familiar with his work, Tsai Chih Chung is a Taiwanese cartoonist who has done concise comic-book format adaptations of a number of Chinese classics. He always manages to capture the spirit of the original work and distill it down to the core essence in just a few panels. His version of the Daode jing and the Zhuangzi are two of my favorite things *ever*.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:46 am »

Has anyone read the Romance Of the Three Kingdoms books? I've heard they're a good read.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 07:08:45 am »

I haven't been able to read in a long time. It makes me sad. Threads like these fuels my "performance anxiety" (or whatever the correct term is) and makes me even sadder. Woe! :(
Love, scriver~

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 07:19:14 am »

I haven't been able to read in a long time. It makes me sad. Threads like these fuels my "performance anxiety" (or whatever the correct term is) and makes me even sadder. Woe! :(
Story of my life.
Well not exactly, but I haven't read 'properly' in a long time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:46:02 am by Mindmaker »

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 07:24:33 am »

WORLD WAR Z! WORLD WAR Z! For the eighth time may I add.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8