Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fetchez La Vache!  (Read 1215 times)

Domus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fetchez La Vache!
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:03:02 pm »

So, my dwarven castle has everything that an ordinary dwarven castle has; war hounds, a moat, some traps and a huge one time only destruction button. So, I have reached the phase where I want to build something new; a cow-catapult. Time for a little bit of Monty Phyton!

I have started my cowfarm and it is up and running... However, how to get it in the air? I could use the bridge method I think, but it would only launch the cows straight forward, right? Is there a way I can really launch them in the air and over my walls? Fetchez La Vache!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:09:45 pm by Domus »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Fetchez La Vache!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:06:58 pm »

Sadly, not that I know of.  I was actually thinking a while ago about the validity of water-pults.  Basically place your ammo (cow) at the opening of a tunnel that's suspended in the air, then push a lot of water down the tunnel.  If it's moving fast enough, it might shunt the cow off the edge while the water dribbles down calmly.  You'll probably have to have a pressure equalizer in the tunnel, and a high-pressure pump system behind the equalizer, so that you have 7/7 water pushing against the diagonals and shoving its way out.

Chances are, the cow will simply drop with the waterfall, though...

Domus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 12:18:02 pm »

Sadly, not that I know of.  I was actually thinking a while ago about the validity of water-pults.  Basically place your ammo (cow) at the opening of a tunnel that's suspended in the air, then push a lot of water down the tunnel.  If it's moving fast enough, it might shunt the cow off the edge while the water dribbles down calmly.  You'll probably have to have a pressure equalizer in the tunnel, and a high-pressure pump system behind the equalizer, so that you have 7/7 water pushing against the diagonals and shoving its way out.

Chances are, the cow will simply drop with the waterfall, though...
The results would be the same as a bridge-catapult. Only forward motion, no upward motion. I want my cow flying over the walls, or a goblin raider who tried his luck a little to much.

However, water (and lava) can create upward motion, I have been thinking about this as well. However, there is no way you (at least, not as far as I am aware) can use a platform to raise with the water (and even then, you would need enough force to launch the object on the platform). Maybe your idea can be used in future updates to do something like this!

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:18:35 pm »

...What is it about cows that makes humans want to see them fly?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 12:26:40 pm »

...What is it about cows that makes humans want to see them fly?
Their haunting moos!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »

Their obvious inability to fly, of course.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:27:53 pm »

When/if we get pressure systems, we can easily make steam or water based launchers, or even a miasma-powered launcher if it's considered a pressurized gas.  Either way, about the only way to shunt things over Z levels is to have it mounted, and to forcefully dismount it, or to remove limbs via axes, at which point it sails off in an arc.  I think adventurers can throw things across Z levels, but never tried it.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 02:44:45 pm »

Make a ubend, one end ends on a grate, the other ends in a large water tank as high as you can get it. Tank should be at least 10 x 10 x 10. Put a floodgate at the bottom of the ubend, and fill the tank and pipe with water. That might do the trick, upwards, then you need to intercept the cow in the air with another water stream going the direction you want it. Properly designed, it might be omnidirectional, simply adjust pressures and apply 2 at once.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 03:11:40 pm »

Now I'm going to have to make a grail shaped beacon on top of my fort. The cave swallows in the game, does anyone know if they are African or European? I've got some plans for weaponizing coconuts...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 04:57:10 pm »

Now I'm going to have to make a grail shaped beacon on top of my fort. The cave swallows in the game, does anyone know if they are African or European? I've got some plans for weaponizing coconuts...
They're so deep down they could as well be Australian.
Now.
What is your favourite colour?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 05:06:53 pm »

Blue! No wait...
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 05:20:22 pm »

Blue! No wait...
Your profile says clearly dark taupe. Whatever that colour is. You dirty, dirty liar.
In other news: http://xkcd.com/16/
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.