Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/6, 1/3], POSTGAME: Mafia Won!  (Read 72009 times)

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Toaster:
Major:
Heliman, I want to pick your brain next.  What do you think the value is of a townie convincing someone else that he is indeed town-aligned?  How much self-defense do you think is too much?
The value of a townie convincing someone else of his alignment is obvious and two pronged: it prevents the town from wasting a day on a bum lead and improves the chances that the next person they target will be a scum.
Putting my two cents in here. It does more than that - it may increase the townie's chance of being NK'd. It also allows the scum to pull out all sorts of WIFOM regarding the townie.

Could you give an example here?  I'm not sure what you mean.

Also, tell me your opinion on this statement:  The best thing a vanilla townie can do is convince scum they are the best NK target.

Now, I said this before:
Bdthemag should be active/online about now. If he hasn't posted by the next time I do, he's over-lurking.
And he hasn't posted. BD, if you do not post in the 24 hours after this post is posted, I'm swapping my vote to you. Lurkers aren't good for town. Well, unless Heliman keeps being scummy. Then the vote stays on him.

I don't like this.  It looks like you're setting yourself up to move your vote onto a target of convenience later here, and only scum wants convenient targets.

Onto the bad part. Most of my attack was based on you saying you're a goldmine of WIFOM - and that's apparently a misinterpretation. An attack without base is crap - and I think you've had enough pressure from me. I think you're scum, but until I can convince the town of that, Unvote. You've still got my FoS to keep you company though, Heliman. To clarify - I think he's scum - I just have no evidence, and if I push my reasoning further, it's going to hurt me, not him. If you want to attack him, by all means - go for it. Just don't quote me word for word.

--SNIP--

PRE-POST EDIT: I feel I should elaborate on my mindgame. I thought TKoE was scum. Overreacting and whatnot - but I didn't want to vote him on that, as it'd be a blatant bandwagon.  I knew I could convince someone to vote him with enough questions, and I happened to get Heli with my first one.  So Heli, I wasn't as sheepish as you thought.

This is very, very weak.  You say you think he's scum, but you're afraid of how the attack will make you look so you drop it.  Basically, you just admitted you're more interested in self-preservation than finding scum, which is very scummy.  Scum want to avoid scum tells.  Town wants to hang scum, and if they vote in a way that might be bandwagonny, so be it- the important thing is that you get your vote on scum.

If you vote someone you find scummy and you clearly articulate your reasons, no one is going to call it a bandwagon.

This post is also very questionable.  Why are you going to great lengths to defend Heliman, someone whom very recently you were voting?  You're doing it more here.

Okay. In order:
An example: Person A attempts to convince everyone he's town. He is. Person B is also town - but doesn't buy his story and continues to press him. The scum NK Person B. They then cry out: "Person A's only opposition was NK'd! Mighty suspicious!"  And they continue to get person A lynched. Then all that went against him can just say that they were tricked by the scum.

Also you're the IC, so if this example is unrealistic, say so.

Onto question:
Well, it's not a clear yes or no, it's situational. The townie could do this to use WIFOM on the mafia - and (possibly) buy him another day of scumhunting, assuming he's not lynched.  Alternatively, if the townie is the center of a bandwagon, he could do this to convince the town to lynch someone else, as he may be NK'd.  If he IS NK'd, anyone who was quick to unvote looks suspicious, and if not, he looks suspicious and argh I could write 10 pages on this and not get anywhere.

Did you happen to notice that I said: "Unless Heliman continues to be scummy" And that I didn't vote him until a while after the 24 hours because Heliman was looking scummy? He was one of my other scumpicks - I just progressed to the next one after me pressure on Heliman didn't get anywhere.  It was mostly a case of "Get in here or there will be consequences!"

It's not "Oh I'll look bad if I vote him", it's "Damn, no evidence. Better not cast a vote."

Also, mind pointing out exactly where I say self-preservation is higher than scum?

I had sparse articulate reasons but they were based on a mis-interpretation. Voting without it would be a bandwagon.

For my response to bread, I typed up what I thought on each post. I didn't see anything solid in there - it wouldn't matter if it was Heliman or not, I made and stated my opinion on his arguements, not on who they're against.

On your second linked post, I have a habit of just adding my two cents in. See later in that post for an example, and earlier for a different one.

Onto Bread:
Afternoon gents. I hope I've not gotten into too much trouble after I left- Oh dear. Well, off to the races!
Post 1: Yeah an RVS.
Post 2: He saw something suspicious and questioned it. Thoroughly. That deserves praise, not rolled eyeballs.
Post 3: The "U MAD?" has been explained. I put the idea in his head for that. It was also a pressuring vote, to see if he got angrier. He doesn't skip over Jim, look at the last section.
Post 4: The back and forth between him and Jim: His reason for the FoS gets taken out from under his feet - leaving him nowhere to go, hence "I don't know what to say." Also in there, he is not over-defending. He was questioned that many times, so he answered that many times.
Post 5: You're wrong. It's WIFOM. It's WIFOM out the wazoo, actually. I'm going to propose a scenario: Person A and Person B are questioning each other. Person C is scum. There's other town around. Person A then turns his attention to Person C. Person C ends up lynched. The scum COULD NK Person A - he's a good scumhunter. But they NK Person B. The remaining scum say "why wasn't Person A NK'd? He's the best scumhunter" and "Person A got Person B NK'd!". Person A calls them out as scum.  The town has to decide whether the scum would simply bus an ally, (like the scum are claiming) or that thw scum has a plan, (that Person A is right). There's no evidence either way, and it's down to speculation.
Wow that was long.
Post 6: Ever think that Heli was suspicious of BD BEFORE he said as such? Also, his main scumpick goes MIA, so he has to start on a new person. You give him that person to start on - and he pressures.
Post 7: Caution is a scumtell. Recklessness is a town tell. This is not guaranteed however, as I'm always cautious, for example. Being cautious as to where your vote goes is scummy play. Hell, I'm trying to be more aggressive and I still don't vote everywhere.
Post 8: The "King" of mafia said it's unreliable. And IIRC, that he think's it's not the best method. He didn't say the method was horrible and never to use it. He wants you mad right? And he has it.
Post 9: You claim he is only using a list of scumtells - I daresay all his arguements against me aren't scumtells alone.

I don't think these are too strong..  I tried to read these as if bread was town, but they still aren't too strong.
#1: If I left it off, people would question me about why I left it off.
#2: I suppose so. It's just the continued "Well I think you didn't say what you mean" after that had me predisposed against it. Looking back isn't always 20-20.
#3: And yet, afterwards, even after being rebuked about it, he tried to use it again. It makes no sense why, unless he was really desperate for a leg to walk on for getting a townie lynched.
#4: :I I don't no what to say.
See how much of a bullshit answer that is when you get called out? Yeah.
#5: But that example is slightly invalid. I would 100% of the time say person A wasn't targeted, because if he targeted a townie, the second scum could just bandwagon, and use the same evidence A did. Remember what the ICs said. The best scum is one who looks like he's scum hunting. As such it follows that a scum could play follow the leader for a quick ride of pretend scumhunting, which is why when somebody asked me about who I would protect as doc, I said the second best scumhunter, because they would be a danger with no tactical use, so the scum would want them dead.
#6: No, not really. He had completely slipped under notice, until I saw there were only 7 people posting. As for the MIA point, what are the odds a lurker could be weeded out by one vote when it was pretty effective until I finally saw it.
#7: I tend to agree, although there are times when the positions switch. Nobody wants to be the one who places the vote on a townie which the scum can then pounce on.
#8: You're right. He earned my ire. And now every word he posts will be considered for how it could or couldn't incriminate him further. And I never said it was completely useless, just less than useful.
#9: I didn't mean to imply that was all he was using, I was just trying to point out how poorly that would work out, and how he could better himself.

-SNIP-

Aaaaand.... back to Seph. I got to that line from the fact that IIRC, most if not all of the things he's attacked others of he's been guilty of himself.
Onto your list first.
1: Yeah. Agreed.
2: I'm glad you see it that way.
3: He was insanely suspicious of Jim for a 'slip'. He continued pressure until his evidence was destroyed infront of him.
4: Hehe.
5: While you have a point - I still say that if the scum were persuasive enough, they could convince the town that Person A was scum. Unlikely - but possible.
6: With every one of my (early) posts I checked to see what people had said, and who had posted. I know I was suspicious of BD before I mentioned it. I was also suspicious of you before I said as such.
7: Yeah, those lines aren't words to live by, just a basic measure. I tried getting that across with my example, but eh.
8: Try to keep your cool though, raging left right and centre doesn't help town.
9: It would work out poorly, and as such he didn't do it.

And your final line:
Looking back:
He pushes TKoE for raging. He's kept his cool (at least in his posts) so far.
He does use a little wifyiom on me. This is where you're partially correct.
He pushed BD for lurking. He's been active.
He pushes me for not explaining an FoS - he explains all of his. (That I've seen)
He votes me for attempting to spearhead a bandwagon. He hasn't done that either.

Bread, can you make sure your voting reasons are valid before you actually vote? Take the advice of an IC before me on this matter though.

Heliman:
What if you were going after two people at once?
Actually, I was planning on going after two people at once before egg asked for another extension. I was planning on seeing what happened if I linked Egg and Major as partners because major seemed hesitant to vote him when he first pressed, and made no comment at all about the caps-lock. Oh well.
I may not have callout out the caps lock specifically - I did say he looked suspicious and that I wanted him to answer everyones questions.

But hell, there's crap like that going around for the three of them (breadbocks, Heliman, major_sephiroth), and it could just as easily be them flubbing around.
Flub, flub, flub,

But seriously now, back to Toaster:

Heliman:  Fair enough.

Be careful when creating scum teams early.  Without any flips, be sure your target is scummy by his own merits, and not due to others.  For example, Major S is making you look scummy by defending you so hard, but I'm ignoring that until his alignment is revealed as otherwise I don't really have anything on you.
His buddying is definitely off key, but the thing is I still can't get why he would do this if he was scum.

If he's scum trying to make me look scummy for a lynching by being overprotective, then he's only going to get himself lynched first, and if he flips scum it wouldn't matter if I get lynched the next night or not, because it would ultimately pro-town. And if he's a semi-barnacle town defending me, he should know that it's not like I need any defense from breadbocks, who hasn't even made a clear argument yet.

I know that looking too deep into the motivations of scum ultimately leads to a WIFOM scenario, but I can't see his reasoning behind all this.
Toaster, Any ideas?
Or would you care to tell us yourself Seph?
I make myself look SO SCUMMY with my scum logic expeditions but here's another one:
If I were scum, I'd buddy you to cause - exactly what's happening. I'd only go for it if I'm willing to sacrifice myself, but both Toaster and Jim are saying you're scummy by association to me. If I were scum and flipped as such - they'd pressure you.  And with the two IC's pressuring you, the other beginners would trust them, and pressure you as well.

My intention was not to protect you from bread, but to poke holes in his arguement.  As I say earlier in this post, I've been suspicious of bread for a while too, so I'm going to make sure any case he uses against anyone is damn sound before I consider listening to it.

Woo not ninja'd!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire

It appears that I will be leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks. Obviously this means that I won't be able to finish this game. You should probably put up a second replacement notice, but I'll still be able to stick around for another day or so. Sorry everyone, this was completely unexpected and I didn't know about this until last night.

In other news:
I make myself look SO SCUMMY with my scum logic expeditions but here's another one:
If I were scum, I'd buddy you to cause - exactly what's happening. I'd only go for it if I'm willing to sacrifice myself, but both Toaster and Jim are saying you're scummy by association to me. If I were scum and flipped as such - they'd pressure you.  And with the two IC's pressuring you, the other beginners would trust them, and pressure you as well.

My intention was not to protect you from bread, but to poke holes in his arguement.  As I say earlier in this post, I've been suspicious of bread for a while too, so I'm going to make sure any case he uses against anyone is damn sound before I consider listening to it.
Wait, so... if you were scum, you'd be doing the exact same thing you're doing now? I don't even know what to say to that.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile

He does use a little wifyiom on me. This is where you're partially correct.
It's WIFOYIFOM, lol man you're horrible at this acronym business.

I may not have callout out the caps lock specifically - I did say he looked suspicious and that I wanted him to answer everyones questions.
Really? I can't seem to find it. Where did you ask him to answer everyone's questions, exactly? Perhaps it was in scumchat?  >:I

Seph, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I JUST SAID.
If he's scum trying to make me look scummy for a lynching by being overprotective, then he's only going to get himself lynched first, and if he flips scum it wouldn't matter if I get lynched the next night or not, because it would ultimately pro-town.
My quote even responded to your idle threat.

from what I've seen, as far as the Players at large are concerned, Bread still has no argument. In fact, if he actually had any relatively legitimate accusations towards me, I myself would have already beaten them down. I haven't, mostly because with every accusation so far he seems to dig himself into a grave. I know that if he's town may be a bad call by me, but either way he should learn to keep the rest of the players in mind when he hunts. Keep in mind that pride is a weakness, breadbocks!

It appears that I will be leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks. Obviously this means that I won't be able to finish this game. You should probably put up a second replacement notice, but I'll still be able to stick around for another day or so. Sorry everyone, this was completely unexpected and I didn't know about this until last night.
ANOTHER ONE?
asljdkfha;sjldha;lksjhfa;jklhaklhgfjhfbalsdkljfna-
Well at least it's the first day. Not that finding someone to brave all these posts will be easy, mind.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

breadbocks, you've been around and made a bazillion posts in other threads. Where are you? I voted you for a reason and you're not doing anything to change my mind. Or anything at all.

Did a little pressure suddenly turn you cowardly?

I can't have caught scum this early.

WIFOYIFOM

Dude, just never say this again. WIFOM is the blanket term that people understand. Going deeper into WIFOM is still WIFOM.

Generally speaking, just ignore WIFOM. Only what people have said and done are reliable indications of whether they're scum or not. Inventing hypothetical scenarios is a waste of time, as it's wrong almost all the time.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

Just woke up for the morning and will leave for school in a bit.

Jim, there is a different amount of brain power needed for something like Mafia, and something like Happy thread. I also don't have the time I need to make a super post at 2AM.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Major:
Okay. In order:
An example: Person A attempts to convince everyone he's town. He is. Person B is also town - but doesn't buy his story and continues to press him. The scum NK Person B. They then cry out: "Person A's only opposition was NK'd! Mighty suspicious!"  And they continue to get person A lynched. Then all that went against him can just say that they were tricked by the scum.

Gotcha.  The problem is that's using terrible WIFOM logic, and I'd be all over the person trying to push that crap.  It's realistic, but it's scummy to try something like that.

Onto question:
Well, it's not a clear yes or no, it's situational. The townie could do this to use WIFOM on the mafia - and (possibly) buy him another day of scumhunting, assuming he's not lynched.  Alternatively, if the townie is the center of a bandwagon, he could do this to convince the town to lynch someone else, as he may be NK'd.  If he IS NK'd, anyone who was quick to unvote looks suspicious, and if not, he looks suspicious and argh I could write 10 pages on this and not get anywhere.

I meant more in the context of "I am the most dangerous scum hunter and you should remove me."  In any case, fair enough answer.

Did you happen to notice that I said: "Unless Heliman continues to be scummy" And that I didn't vote him until a while after the 24 hours because Heliman was looking scummy? He was one of my other scumpicks - I just progressed to the next one after me pressure on Heliman didn't get anywhere.  It was mostly a case of "Get in here or there will be consequences!"

Yes, I noticed.  It made the case worse.  As written, you can stay on Heliman if he keeps votes or move on to BD if he doesn't.

It's not "Oh I'll look bad if I vote him", it's "Damn, no evidence. Better not cast a vote."

Also, mind pointing out exactly where I say self-preservation is higher than scum?

Sure.

Onto the bad part. Most of my attack was based on you saying you're a goldmine of WIFOM - and that's apparently a misinterpretation. An attack without base is crap - and I think you've had enough pressure from me. I think you're scum, but until I can convince the town of that, Unvote. You've still got my FoS to keep you company though, Heliman. To clarify - I think he's scum - I just have no evidence, and if I push my reasoning further, it's going to hurt me, not him. If you want to attack him, by all means - go for it. Just don't quote me word for word.

--SNIP--

PRE-POST EDIT: I feel I should elaborate on my mindgame. I thought TKoE was scum. Overreacting and whatnot - but I didn't want to vote him on that, as it'd be a blatant bandwagon.  I knew I could convince someone to vote him with enough questions, and I happened to get Heli with my first one.  So Heli, I wasn't as sheepish as you thought.

See the underlined bits.  You don't say it directly, but it's strongly implicit.  In the first paragraph, you're backing off someone you say is scum because you don't have evidence.  The correct move is to press him for that evidence.  You shouldn't care if pressing an attack makes you look bad (hint- it won't if it's based on honest suspicion).  In the second, same deal: Town has no reason to not vote someone they think is scum.  If he's scum, vote him and explain why.

I had sparse articulate reasons but they were based on a mis-interpretation. Voting without it would be a bandwagon.

Then get those reasons.

For my response to bread, I typed up what I thought on each post. I didn't see anything solid in there - it wouldn't matter if it was Heliman or not, I made and stated my opinion on his arguements, not on who they're against.

On your second linked post, I have a habit of just adding my two cents in. See later in that post for an example, and earlier for a different one.

Defending others is generally a bad habit.  If you want someone else to be voted, convince people by bringing your case against your target, not by tearing down someone's argument against another person.

You're right there.

This is WIFOM, pure and simple.  Just don't post things like this- they don't do anyone any good.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OH MY GOD IT'S BEEN TWELVE HOURS SINCE ANYONE HAS POSTED. QUICK SOMEBODY GET INTO A BIG ARGUMENT GO GO GO!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

I'm still waiting for breadbocks.

Hope I didn't scare him.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Everyone:  You don't have to wait for someone to ask you a question to post something.  If there's a lull, take it upon yourself to kickstart activity.

Crown:  If you're still around, you should post a brain dump before you leave.

Super:  Can I get your top two picks with reasoning?  Also, it'd be nice if you did something since it's been over three days since your last post.

Mod:  Can we get a prod on Super, with a side of vote count?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire

Actually, I think I'm going to be able to stick around for this, as I should have internet access. I won't be able to post as much, but I should still be able to do this. It all hinges on whether or not I'll have internet access, but it should be available. If I don't show up, you can go ahead and replace me, but I don't think it's likely.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

unvote.Sorry, I had a rather large backlog of homework, I still have a bit to do, but sorry for not posting :/

My current scumpicks are:

major_sephiroth,

I think you're scum, but until I can convince the town of that, Unvote.
I think a kick was just delivered to my brain, and I just lost about 50 IQ, just from reading that >.<

You are meant to PRESS people! You don't give up on someone because the rest of the town doesn't believe you, you PRESS THEM.

Wine.

Okay. In order:

Wine.

I thought TKoE was scum. Overreacting and whatnot - but I didn't want to vote him on that, as it'd be a blatant bandwagon

Passive. It's not a blatant bandwagon, so long as you have a reason.

My second scumpick:

Crownoffire, for NOT POSTING (yes, I know I'm one to talk, but still.), he's barely doing anything :/

Now, I dropped Bread, because a small hunch isn;t exactly evidence.

Major_Sephiroth, why is that you seem to be ptrying tol pump wine into our mouthes with a large, high pressure fire hose?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

breadbocks.

breeeeeaaaaaaadbooooooooooocks.

I'm still waiting.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Yeah, I think breadbocks needs to be prodded.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hopping in since there isn't much to say anymore:
Vote major_sephiroth, long overdue, due to me acting like a nondecisive pansy in front of an IC.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

breadbocks.

breeeeeaaaaaaadbooooooooooocks.

I'm still waiting.
Ah. Actually... He's not here because he's been muted. For three days. I'm not trying to eat my own face right now in childish rage. Turning away is suggested, as it will make the sounds of rage mixed with agony coming from my direction easier to bare.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36