Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have just realized...  (Read 2534 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have just realized...
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »

That Blackrock Depths (instance) in World of Warcraft is as dwarfy a instance (created before DF) can be.

It has:

A prison with tormented "guests" who beg for death.
An arena (complete with a boss fight against one of the several random bosses megabeasts) next to the prison.
A dining room full of drunks dwarves and booze.
A 98% of the fortress population seems to serve in the military.
A magma forge!
A room with tombs dedicated to 7 legendary dwarves (complete with engravings)
A lyceum with worthless dwarven reservists armed with peashooters (they use guns but arming all the peasants with crossbows and bone bolts as a last stand is perfectly viable here as well)
A a long corridor with traps.

On top of all that they uncovered HFS as well! (molten core)

The only thing lacking there would be... a plump helmet farm. However those guys are at war with blackrock spire orcs so they may use them as a food source instead.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: I have just realized...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »

I noticed that as well.  Isn't the forge called the black anvil though?  And the only place possible to smelt a particular kind of iron? (I don't have a blacksmith so I don't know for sure, I'm afraid I'm a tanner/leatherworker)

That anvil could qualify as an artifact.  Also note that that one tavern is where the brewfest holiday places you too.  That place is such an awesome dining room the holiday to celebrate alcoholism plops you down in there.  And you can buy some of the strongest booze in there.  I prefer the sulfurion sizzler myself.  So good it makes you take fire damage when you drink it.

And don't forget the evil king who probably mandates crazy things like cobalt and elementium when they don't exist yet.

*Kills room full of nobles*
King Whats-his-name: They were just getting in the way anyway.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:36:05 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »

I noticed that as well.  Isn't the forge called the black anvil though?  And the only place possible to smelt a particular kind of iron? (I don't have a blacksmith so I don't know for sure, I'm afraid I'm a tanner/leatherworker)

*dons nerd hat*

I haven't played WoW for many years, but the Black Anvil was the only place to make items using Dark Iron; most notably the Sulfuron Hammer, the basic component for 'Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros' - a legendary weapon.

EDIT: But Thunderfury was much, much cooler - I was always sad that the bindings were tank priority for DKP bids.

*removes nerd had, shivers with a mixture of nostalgia and regret*
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:48:12 pm by Hellmoob »
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:00:40 pm »

WoW and Dragon Age dwarves are both very dorfy.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:31:04 am »

*dons nerd hat*

I haven't played WoW for many years, but the Black Anvil was the only place to make items using Dark Iron; most notably the Sulfuron Hammer, the basic component for 'Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros' - a legendary weapon.

EDIT: But Thunderfury was much, much cooler - I was always sad that the bindings were tank priority for DKP bids.

*removes nerd had, shivers with a mixture of nostalgia and regret*

I wasn't going to say it, but I pity you for giving in to the urge to do so.

*pat pat*
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:41:05 am »

There are both black forge and a black anvil.
The forge is placed near the magma sea right next to the MC portal while the anvil is in the center of the city suspended about 50 yrds above the magma sea.

The forge is the only place you can smelt dark iron ore while the anvil is the only place you can craft using dark iron ore.
Self promotion below.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:12:04 am »

*dons nerd hat*

Heh that's the state of things.  Folks who haven't played in years know the vanilla content better than current players.  We are flooded with all this BC (I like my netherwing drake)  WotLK (Am I the only one who thinks Alextraza's hawt?) and Cata (OMG Giant old god crustacean!) stuff that all the old interesting vanilla stuff slipped through the cracks.

I didn't even know the forge and anvil were different things.  Probably because nobody actually bothers with the stuff anymore. I don't see any blacksmiths doing any smelting mid dungeon run.  And really why bother?  BC Greens you'll get in 5 levels are better by far and you'll probably get more than you know what to do with without even trying.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:47:02 pm »

I didn't even know the forge and anvil were different things.  Probably because nobody actually bothers with the stuff anymore. I don't see any blacksmiths doing any smelting mid dungeon run.  And really why bother?  BC Greens you'll get in 5 levels are better by far and you'll probably get more than you know what to do with without even trying.

Actually, we went in a few months ago with my sister to smith some 60 stuff just to see what it looked like. (YES THERE IS EQUIPEMENT PREVIEW SHHH)
No hand of sulfuras though: MC is so boredy boring.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:49:54 pm by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »

Why. Why would you ever need that kind of soldier to citizen ratio. What a waste of resources.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 02:53:57 pm »

I used hang out in BRD whenever I played WoW. It was just that cool. (Playing with DF way before I started with WoW, so the dorfiness of the place really struck me).

Stopped playing with WoTLK though, so no idea if Cata changed it.

I remember soloing at lvl 60, making a stealth run to the Black Anvil (with my engineer warlock) so I could make a Dark Iron rifle for my friend. And nearly dying to the boss elemental who guards the anvil (Lord Incendius?).

Sure, BC came out a couple of weeks later and he never did get to use that rifle, but hey. Stuff of legends and all that.

Ironforge is pretty DF dwarfy as well - magma forges, large iron statues, open magma pit in the center of the military ward...

Why. Why would you ever need that kind of soldier to citizen ratio. What a waste of resources.

It's because of all the thieves and ambusher squads that keep getting in. Not enough cage traps.

I kept going back to BRD/MC specifically to mine dark iron, trying to get Thorium rep up on my enchanter alt. There are some nice low-level enchantments available among the old-world factions (low-level enchant = can be placed on heirlooms) that sell well on the AH. Also, loremaster.

Plus it's great fun to act as tour guide for guildies' alts - not a lot of people left who know the BRD map layout by heart.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:01:33 pm by Langdon »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 03:34:55 pm »

(created before DF)
WoW: November 23, 2004
Dwarf Fortress: ~October 2002

I fail to see the logic here.
(DF's first fully public release was 2006, yes, I know).
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 03:50:45 pm »

I know right. That should be 100%, jeez.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 04:53:04 pm »

(created before DF)
WoW: November 23, 2004
Dwarf Fortress: ~October 2002

I fail to see the logic here.
(DF's first fully public release was 2006, yes, I know).

I played DF 2D around the same time I started playing WoW, so I believe you're right.

I know there are some DF fans on the Cata dev team, but it's a stretch to say WoW copied DF or DF copied WoW.

The dwarf=magma+underground caverns+massive feats of engineering trope is from Tolkien and D&D, from which both DF and WoW draw their dwarfy roots.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 06:16:20 pm »

Speaking of Dragon Age dwarves...

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/q/13441/336

Dragon Age's Dwarves always struck me as a little bit... odd. Like they had less brain between their eyeballs than normal.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 09:05:55 pm »

Speaking of Dragon Age dwarves...

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/q/13441/336

Dragon Age's Dwarves always struck me as a little bit... odd. Like they had less brain between their eyeballs than normal.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Odd...
By odd you mean the one with a really short beard or the one without a head?
Self promotion below.
Pages: [1] 2