Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270500 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #2055 on: December 01, 2013, 12:44:26 am »

I've been pretty up on EVE for a while, just never had time or money to play. I'm well aware of the trade offs for the most part. I'll fiddle around in highsec for a month or so and then maybe think about nullsec. But I don't have any friends that play or a corp and I don't particularly want to join a bunch of random players in anything goes land.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: December 01, 2013, 01:05:59 am »

He has an 8 day old character. "Join a nullsec corp and let them show you the ropes" is not awful advice, but "take that ship that somebody gave you money so you could buy and can't possibly afford to replace, and head directly to 0.0" ...yeah, that's awful advice.

It won't hurt him to spend his first month in highsec.
If I were him, I'd sell the Moa, and buy 10 slashers instead, and then lose them all. Also I'd join something like Brave Newbies, or Red versus Blue. For any new players flipping through this thread, don't join E-UNI, they basically make hisec carebears.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: December 01, 2013, 11:37:19 am »

If you want to make tons of isk ratting in nullsec (safer than high or lowsec BTW), you can do it solo in 1 to 3 weeks. I found a vexor load out a while back from a stolen image from a goonswarm loadout page.

Costs about 20 or so million for everything, depending on prices. But can solo rat multiple battleships, cruisers and frigates at once. I made over 100 million everyday, no exaggeration. I didn't play that much either or I would have had far more. All solo rat in null. Way better than missions or high sec.

And compared to what I made, replacing the ship if destroyed was like spending pennies. I didn't see many people where I was in nullsec. It was mostly empty.

Best ratting load out though :D made so much.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: December 01, 2013, 11:59:33 am »

better to grind missions with the moa and keep scaling in skills, and then go to null in a BC, better handling with rats. the only problem is dealing with the usual gatecamp or cloacky ganker. NPC null is very dangerous if you dont know the tricks to avoid other players.

living out in null is easier now with the coming of mobile depots BTW, now you can refit your ship and by that extension repair your ships (have each of the normal repping modules so you can heal when needed). if you get to get a the Yurt type, you basically have an almost non scannable base. this saves you also the need to get into station, but you'll have problems with moving your loot, so the best advice for that matter is to only kill rats and cherrypick good loot. if you've found deadspace modules in your anomalies, make them a priority, and get as much as you can carry with the ship. the problem would be to travel to the nearest trade hub and sell your treasure since it means taking out the depot and going out with a cargo full of bling modules.

its not a bad idea either....

if you get a corp in an stable null sec alliance, by stable i mean that they are capable of keeping their sovereignty in certain systems you can get your isk there, again, killing rats and doing anomalies. you will have to refit your ship or get a different one depending on the type of NPC pirates in that place.

the other option would be to live in WHs but you dont have enough skills to do that at the most basic ones, and its almost like PvP..well its PvP for everything there...

or you can try FW farming, get a fast ship and join the militia......its not very hard and low sec is generally empty (in certain regions), a condor fitted for fast running (microwarpdrive, some defense moduels and warp core stabilizers so you have chances to escape warping) is a good ship to travel throught low sec....again, you have to know the trick for avoiding getting caught in the gate....

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: December 01, 2013, 04:05:49 pm »

on the plus side my tank is like, "damage? what damage?", but on the down side even with 2 destroyer weapons equipped its somewhat slower to destroy the enemy ships cause i keep missing. well its a lot faster to destroy stationary defenses. and i only have 1 high slot for salvage. although i am only a day or so away from salvage drones.

Also does anyone know what I would find at a gurista lesser covert research facility?

Just tanked a hidden hideaway, which before would have killed me in 3 seconds. Stabilized at 70% shield health left. Crushed like 8 cruisers and tons of smaller guys. Took a bit of time due to weapons but not that bad. Also I had to orbit around to get better weapon range. So annoying.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:50:48 pm by MoLAoS »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: December 01, 2013, 05:16:19 pm »

If you want to make tons of isk ratting in nullsec (safer than high or lowsec BTW), you can do it solo in 1 to 3 weeks. I found a vexor load out a while back from a stolen image from a goonswarm loadout page.

Costs about 20 or so million for everything, depending on prices. But can solo rat multiple battleships, cruisers and frigates at once. I made over 100 million everyday, no exaggeration. I didn't play that much either or I would have had far more. All solo rat in null. Way better than missions or high sec.

Fitting isn't really the problem for a new player. It's saving up 20 million based on advice from a post like yours, spending it all on a ship then getting podded in the first hop after leaving highsec.

If you're going to advise new players to head to null, tell them to join a nullcorp and ask to be taught the basics. Tell them to avoid going through corridors near Jita and instead to get there from relatively unpopulated area like khanid space. Tell them to go use eve route planner to check routes first, and to avoid corridors with high numbers of kills. Tell them to scout ahead in a cheap disposable shuttle then go back for their ship after they know a system is clear. Tell them that if they do run into a camp, to not panic and to wait before decloaking, and to pick a target to warp to that's close to their direction of facing to reduce align time. Tell them that if they do run into a camp on their week old account and are outnumbered 3 to 1 to not bother trying to fight back so they can at least try to sell kill rights.

But don't tell them "oh, just spend all your ISK putting together this super secret magic fit and head to null."

Advice like that leads people to quit the game.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: December 01, 2013, 06:55:21 pm »

does anyone know what I would find at a gurista lesser covert research facility?

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Lesser_Guristas_Covert_Research_Facility

So no defenses unless I blow the hack and I would want a hack focused ship to go in there?

What kind of loot do they drop? Is it any good?

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: December 02, 2013, 06:06:48 am »

Salvaging drones are a godsend. Saves me oodles of time. I can drop my salvaging module for a new weapon thus adding 25% to my dps and it'll probably be a 250mm instead of more smaller weapons. better destroyer and structure kills and can even hit small stuff if I'm at a good range. I have a huge passive tank for lulz but really it could be half as much and I wouldn't have an issue. 62 per second on the loadout screen. Could pop another 7 but then I'd had a cap that was 42:10 instead of stable. I may eventually stop liking my shiny number and swap dps modules into my low slots so I can farm a little fast.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: December 02, 2013, 12:56:26 pm »

Fitting isn't really the problem for a new player. It's saving up 20 million based on advice from a post like yours, spending it all on a ship then getting podded in the first hop after leaving highsec.

If you're going to advise new players to head to null, tell them to join a nullcorp and ask to be taught the basics. Tell them to avoid going through corridors near Jita and instead to get there from relatively unpopulated area like khanid space. Tell them to go use eve route planner to check routes first, and to avoid corridors with high numbers of kills. Tell them to scout ahead in a cheap disposable shuttle then go back for their ship after they know a system is clear. Tell them that if they do run into a camp, to not panic and to wait before decloaking, and to pick a target to warp to that's close to their direction of facing to reduce align time. Tell them that if they do run into a camp on their week old account and are outnumbered 3 to 1 to not bother trying to fight back so they can at least try to sell kill rights.

But don't tell them "oh, just spend all your ISK putting together this super secret magic fit and head to null."

Advice like that leads people to quit the game.

I never got podded when I went to nullsec. I got killed far more in highsec than anywhere else by suicide gankers. Highsec is WAY more dangerous. Lowsec was kinda dangerous, but I always make it through. Well, actually...first time in null I ran into a huge army of ships blockading a gate (I got out though somehow, they were distracted with fighting another group)...but after that, I always study the starmap to see active players and other statistics. I've always been solo in EVE (except either newbie corp or one (occasionally two) man corp). I even have my own POS (and I can afford it, yes. There is a lot of one man corps that have them) out in null and some other stuff. I actually run into very very few people where I am.

And getting the ISK is probably hardest thing...plus the skills. But actually, the Vexor is free from the career agent so that saves off 10 million. And career agents supply some other stuff that one probably needs. But yeah, replacing them when destroyed is probably the actually hard part. In any case, if one needs more time to save up...it is an MMO, and MMOs take time. Far worth it once one makes it to null (which is rather easy)...cause one makes lots of ISK and to be honest, its more fun (even when solo).

But for a brand new player, yes it probably would take longer. But in any case, nullsec is still a lot safer and more fun (at least to me).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:58:55 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:45 pm »

is making my own shield rigs worth it? i have the parts, and the print is pretty cheap. but it requires tripped power circuits which are worth a lot. I think its about 2.8mil to make my own and 3.3mil to buy one.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: December 02, 2013, 07:03:00 pm »

is making my own shield rigs worth it? i have the parts, and the print is pretty cheap. but it requires tripped power circuits which are worth a lot. I think its about 2.8mil to make my own and 3.3mil to buy one.

Short anwer:
In my opinion, no it's not worth getting involved with manufacturing at all.

Long anwer:
By all means do the math. 2.8 million is less than 3.3 million, if that's what you're pricing it at. But remember that in addition to materials you'll need to acquire a blueprint, and if you buy one fresh off the market it will be completely un-upgraded and have a (usually) 10% materials waste factor until it's researched. Presumably you don't want to spend weeks engaged in blueprint research in order to save a couple hundred thousand ISK on some rigs you're probably only going to want 2 or 3 of.

Rigs purchased from the market were probably made by somebody who's already done that research so right away it will cost them 10% less material for them to make them than it would you. Profit margins are not usually that high, so odds are fairly good that even if you had all the required materials on hand, plus the blueprint, you still might come out ahead simply selling the materials and buying a rig rather than build one yourself.

There are other factors to consider. Transaction taxes and brokers fees, different prices in different regions, the possibility of placing a purchase order below current sell price, etc. But even if you can work it out such that it'is technically more cost efficient to build them yourself, given the low numbers you're talking about and for the amount of time you'd probably spend working out all the math, checking eve central for best prices, flying around to best markets trying to be efficient, finding a suitable production facility and actually building the things...it would probably be faster to simply buy then spend the extra 20 minutes doing a mission to make up the difference.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: December 02, 2013, 07:21:15 pm »

Yeah that does sound about right. I'd imagine that if I eventually get into being an industrialist it would take ages to do. Ah well. Its not even as good as SWG crafting anyways.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: December 02, 2013, 10:52:41 pm »

I've been out of the game for almost 2 years now but I'm giving strong consideration to reactivating my accounts. Bonus if I bump into any B12'ers along the way. :)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: December 05, 2013, 02:49:48 am »

Well, I got a faction drop finally, 120mil. I'm buying a Ferox to fit for anomaly blitzing. Basically 5 light drones to tank frigates, medium rails to take down destroyers and cruisers. Semi decent tank. I'm dropping all salvage power to focus on the faction drops. Maybe not even looting containers. Hopefully I can pick up enough to plex. Then I have another plan. I want to try and multibox ospreys and maybe a logistics cruiser if I can get enough isk to plex them.

At night I have access to two computers and my laptop could maybe run 2 ships. Maybe the desktop. Should be lots of fun. I really like to play with fit synergy or some ewars and logis. Probably can't handle more than 2-3 ships with the hardware I have.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 210