Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Excess of Bones  (Read 3306 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Excess of Bones
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 03:56:56 pm »

Helmets, greaves, gauntlets, crossbows, and bolts.  That's your combat-related bone things.  Bone is lightweight and stronger than copper, and my bone bolts will break through bronze breastplates and iron helms.  There's probably an easy way to add bone breastplates and boots and such, I think it's the [BARED] token but I'm too lazy to test, and too addicted to steel helmets.  I'm hoping once economy kicks in, peasants will try to wear helmets at all times, so I can just produce some helms and let them get distributed without squads.

You forgot leggings, but they are really just inferior to greaves and should only be used if you can't make greaves. Also, don't the miner, woodcutter, and hunter uniforms still interfere with military uniforms?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 04:10:04 pm »

Not sure, I don't think it effects the helmet, it only effects their hands.  Don't quote me on that though...

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 04:24:59 pm »

Also, don't the miner, woodcutter, and hunter uniforms still interfere with military uniforms?

I believe the bug is that they need 2 picks or axes instead of 1, because one pick/axe is marked as "military" so it isn't available for civilian use (they will stop mining/cutting trees when off duty if you don't have any "free" axes, despite the fact they have a perfectly serviceable tool as part of their military uniform).

The workaround I use is just to maintain twice as many free axes/picks than normally needed.

Not sure, I don't think it effects the helmet, it only effects their hands.  Don't quote me on that though...

Yeah, if the uniform only contains helmet/armor pieces and doesn't specify a weapon, I think it doesn't affect civilian use. Miners won't fight using their picks if you activate the squad though, but it's fine if you never put them on duty and just put on a uniform for protection.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:27:50 pm by Langdon »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 04:27:29 pm »

Not that.  The problem is that those three professions get an invisible uniform, and that uniform is "one pick" or "one crossbow", so when put in a military squad with a uniform, they get two uniforms.  One says "One Pick - Nothing Else" the other says "Helmet" and they conflict with each other.  I'm under the impression that this has been either fixed or made less annoying.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 04:31:30 pm »

Not that.  The problem is that those three professions get an invisible uniform, and that uniform is "one pick" or "one crossbow", so when put in a military squad with a uniform, they get two uniforms.  One says "One Pick - Nothing Else" the other says "Helmet" and they conflict with each other.  I'm under the impression that this has been either fixed or made less annoying.

Oh. Since .16 I've been making my embark woodcutter into my militia commander, and I haven't seen any problems (other than the aforementioned need for two axes). I do notice that until I build a barracks for s(Q)uad equipment, he doesn't wear his armor off-duty, despite the inactive uniform setting in schedule. Once the barracks is up, he goes about cutting trees in his proper armor.

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2011, 04:34:17 pm »

Wait, I thought that you couldn't corpses of sentient species into usable bone.  Or at least you couldn't a few months ago when I last played.  Has this been changed?  Can you make goblin bone bolts and stuff again?  Or do troglodytes just not count for that restriction?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 04:36:10 pm »

Open entity_default.txt

Find your ethics, and change them to show:
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]

Now, your dwarves will gladly make elf skull totems, goblin bow bolts, and human sweetbread roasts.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2011, 04:48:03 pm »

Open entity_default.txt

Find your ethics, and change them to show:
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]

Now, your dwarves will gladly make elf skull totems, goblin bow bolts, and human sweetbread roasts.

Also as a side effect of doing this you really don't need farming anymore at all, aside from booze production.

Goblin tallow roasts for everyone!

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »

You can never have too much bolts. Ever. More marksdwarves, more training, more death. ...Which leads to more bones. Hmm... It's a vicious cycle. But one on that has everyone but you on the receiving end.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 05:47:24 pm by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »

Vicious, delicious cycle...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]