Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Apocalypse: The End Is Nigh...For Your Dwarf Fortress World. *Warning Spoilers.*  (Read 6316 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Basically, I came up with this idea when I made four humans armed with swords and hundreds of undead. I thought what would happen if the apocalypse could happen in DF. But, here is the thing: Everyone has come up with their own versions, so I thought I'd compile the ones I thought of in the OP, then everyone can contribute how they think should be an option for the world to end.

Here is my list of ideas. Now, remember, apocalypses should all be optional, meaning you can change them to not occur in the world gen parameters. These can all happen at ANY TIME too, not just at the end of the age of twilight. It can even happen in the first year. If the apocalypse happens, the age of death occurs. You can still play in Dwarf Mode as escapees from the apocalypse that brought down civilization, and you can still play in adventure mode as an outsider.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please, criticize my ideas and show your own ideas for civilization ending events.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The idea of post-Apocalyptic Dwarf Fortress appeals to me. However for the Clown Car Apocalypse it should require more than a single fortress to fall. It shouldn't be easy for the Apocalypse to happen. Also for any Apocalypse I'd say a small, but significant population should still exist. You'd probably have to survive without migrants for a while, but if you're fortress gets big enough survivors will travel from far away to join you're fortress.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The idea of post-Apocalyptic Dwarf Fortress appeals to me. However for the Clown Car Apocalypse it should require more than a single fortress to fall. It shouldn't be easy for the Apocalypse to happen. Also for any Apocalypse I'd say a small, but significant population should still exist. You'd probably have to survive without migrants for a while, but if you're fortress gets big enough survivors will travel from far away to join you're fortress.

I was just thinking it would add a sense of duty keeping the clowns from destroying your dwarves, since you are safeguarding the thing that could destroy the world.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was just thinking it would add a sense of duty keeping the clowns from destroying your dwarves, since you are safeguarding the thing that could destroy the world.

You mean the demons, right?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mean the demons, right?

Hey, spoilers! The new guys aren't supposed to know about the demons, so we call them clowns.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com

It says *Warning Spoilers.* in the subject line. If anyone doesn't want to be spoiler'd, then they should just not read the thread. The whole clown thing was amusing and all, but it's gotten well past that point IMO. To each his own, I guess.

On topic: I really like the idea of various apocalypses although a few of them would need some tweaking to the core game to actually make them useful (like the Plant Apocalypse would need bigger more dangerous plants). I think it would also be neat if you could purposefully choose one (or more) in the advanced world gen options rather than trying to trigger them.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On topic: I really like the idea of various apocalypses although a few of them would need some tweaking to the core game to actually make them useful (like the Plant Apocalypse would need bigger more dangerous plants). I think it would also be neat if you could purposefully choose one (or more) in the advanced world gen options rather than trying to trigger them.

Do you have any ideas of your own for apocalypses?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com

I don't have a stable internet connection, so I'm posting on my phone, but let's see what I can do.

Apocalypse of the Earth
"They dug too deep"
If too much of the earth is disturbed throughout the world, then an Apocalypse of the Earth is triggered. Earthquakes and volcanoes throughout the world would ensue (which would require adding earthquakes and volcanoes to the game). Earthquakes open up chasms deep into the earth, shift chunks of the ground (so that hallways might not line up anymore) and shake apart various structures. Volcanoes create magma tubes that run to the surface and spew lava for some time.

Apocalypse of the Sky
"They built too high"
If they Dwarves (or anyone else for that matter, maybe the Humans) build structures several hundred Z-levels into the sky, then it may trigger an Apocalypse of the Sky. It could be storm related with torrential rains and winds (wreck havoc on surface structures) or even related to falling meteorites with the potential to blast large wholes in the ground and potentially kick up giant clouds of dust.

Apocalypse of the Sea
"They sailed too far"
Someone ventured too far out to sea, or too deep if there's some sort of submarine or sub-oceanic mining by the Dwarves. Massive flooding around any source of water (rivers / lakes / oceans) and torrential rains (that leave 1/7 rain on any square when they hit and last for years). Could easily reach Biblical levels of floodings...

That took a while... I'm sure there are more, but that's what I have for the time being.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those are all great, and they are all environmental I see. I didn't really put many environmental apocalypses in.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com

Which is why there was space for me to do so... :) Mainly I was actually thinking of the effects first and then what could cause them. It'd be neat to be able to try to build a fort when earthquakes and volcanoes might ruin your day at any moment. Granted, it's not something that everyone would want...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, do you think the effects of my apocalypses are bit too... Small? Not being able to grow plants sucks, but you can get around it. I wonder how I can increase the effects of them.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

I like this idea, except for the war one. In order to mod in a reliably waring race without adding a [BABYSNATCHER] or [ITEM_THIEF] tag you need to remove their [CAN_SPEAK] tag. Then a war starts during world gen because of 'The adversaries inability to form treaties (something like that' and the war never ends and can easily last centuries! The War apocalypse could easily ruin many worlds that would otherwise be normal worlds.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile

Why would Toady even bother with this? As we have seen many times, dwarves can easily make their own apocalypse.

In all seriousness though, the idea of a sudden apocalypse like this really doesn't feel like it fits in with DF in general. Especially since it's supposed to be a persistant world, and the apocalypses (apocalypti?) you are talking about are scripted, not procedurally generated.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like this idea, except for the war one. In order to mod in a reliably waring race without adding a [BABYSNATCHER] or [ITEM_THIEF] tag you need to remove their [CAN_SPEAK] tag. Then a war starts during world gen because of 'The adversaries inability to form treaties (something like that' and the war never ends and can easily last centuries! The War apocalypse could easily ruin many worlds that would otherwise be normal worlds.

Hmm. OK, I will remove that.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why would Toady even bother with this? As we have seen many times, dwarves can easily make their own apocalypse.

In all seriousness though, the idea of a sudden apocalypse like this really doesn't feel like it fits in with DF in general. Especially since it's supposed to be a persistant world, and the apocalypses (apocalypti?) you are talking about are scripted, not procedurally generated.

Well, the apocalypses could be generated. Plus, Dwarves can only make a tiny part of land into mordor. I wanna make it ALL INTO MORDOR!
Pages: [1] 2