Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454552 times)

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9900 on: November 20, 2014, 11:12:40 am »

planescape:torment.  i would rate it as one of the best games ever made, don't know how it holds up to modern hardware though.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: November 20, 2014, 11:16:58 am »

planescape:torment.  i would rate it as one of the best games ever made, don't know how it holds up to modern hardware though.
Depends a lot on the hardware, and when I played it some time ago spell graphics caused insane amounts of lag and, if stared at long enough, crashes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: November 20, 2014, 11:23:47 am »

Was that the GOG version?  They're usually pretty good about including the necessary tweaks and patches.  (Far better than Steam who seem to do nothing other than bundling DOSBox sometimes).
I haven't played Planescape yet but it has high praise from people I know.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: November 20, 2014, 12:28:43 pm »

I liked Torment enough to finish it twice. The game crashed during some long spell animations.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: November 20, 2014, 01:08:06 pm »

Hm, quite a few games on sale on GoG that fall outside the flash sales and such, too... I see Planescape Torment for $4.99. I have had many, many people suggest that game... Should I just buy it or hope for a better deal later in the sale?

Also looking for any other recommendations for games to grab that are on sale.
PST will be available for cheaper at some point, unless perhaps it already has been? I am not really sure, I don't pay much attention to gog beyond grabbing their free giveaway stuff. Anyways PST is a gem. The combat in the game ain't so great, so the game is much more about dialogue and story. Thankfully the story & dialogues are so excellent! It is one of a handful of classic games that are so damn good that everyone with an interest in PC video games should try them IMO. And when you are done with it you can have a good laugh (or a good cry) over how far the RPG genre has fallen in the 15 years since Torment came out :D

As for other game recommendations, there are almost too many and I don't know what you have played already... If we are sticking to PST level must-play games then here's 10 on top of Torment
Thief 1 & 2 - kings of stealth games and games in general really
System Shock 2 - along with its predecessor (which isn't on GoG but is freely available on the net), the king of FPS/RPG hybrids
Deus Ex 1 - another FPS/RPG hybrid, every time you mention it someone reinstalls it
Blood 1 - more serious than Duke3d & Shadow Warrior (both of which are also great), classic FPS
Alpha Centauri - Civilization but better
Master of Orion 1 & 2 - kings of space 4x games
Jagged Alliance 2 - Strategy/RPG hybrid, king of squad tactics games
Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 - kings of demonic enslavement simulation games
Wizardry 6, 7, & 8 - kings of dungeon crawler RPGs
Quest for Glory - kings of Adventure/RPG hybrids

yeah ok that's really more than 10, sue me
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:41:14 pm by TripJack »

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: November 20, 2014, 02:35:17 pm »

PST will be included in a D&D bundle from time to time. So if you also want Baldur's Gate and similar games, you could always wait for that to go on sale.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9906 on: November 20, 2014, 03:30:04 pm »

I am of the opinion that the above list is null and void, as it made no mention of any of the HoMM series.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: November 20, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »

I am of the opinion that the above list is null and void, as it made no mention of any of the HoMM series.

But 3 was the only good one. Older one, 5 wasn't bad.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9908 on: November 21, 2014, 05:58:55 am »

HoMM is overrated anyways.

/thread
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9909 on: November 21, 2014, 09:19:48 am »

If any game was overrated it was Sinistar.
Ooooooooooh!

/flame :P

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: November 21, 2014, 05:21:08 pm »

I should have waited ... Blink Bundle with 4 games for $2.49 minimum:

From the Depths (I think I payed 10€ for a bundle with this one)
Retro-Pixel Castles
OMG Zombies
Lost Marbles

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: November 21, 2014, 05:33:06 pm »

Retro-Pixel Castles
OMG Zombies
Lost Marbles
So... is it actually fun?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: November 21, 2014, 06:30:46 pm »

Retro-Pixel Castles
OMG Zombies
Lost Marbles
So... is it actually fun?

A Steam reviewer for the castles game called it a tech demo. Considering half the bundle is early-access, it's probably not worth it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: November 21, 2014, 06:50:58 pm »

RPC isn't bad, I backed it. But it currently has none of the meat of the game. No unlocks, no monsters, barely any village things to build. You can build a few structures and stone walls, resource collect and spray blood on the ground with the debug tool, make maps. That's pretty much it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: November 21, 2014, 11:57:42 pm »

bundlestars has Septera Core and Gorky 17 on an RPG bundle:  http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/rpg-champions-bundle/

I have not played the other ones, but Septera Core was a pretty good game in the style of JRPGs... similar to FF7 in many ways.  I found the combat grindy, but no more than in any games of that genre.  Story was fun, and art was nice.  hand drawn backgrounds, so even if the sprites dont age well, the scenery should still be nice.

Gorky / Odium is pretty well known, shouldn't need me to describe it.  well reviewed.
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1134