Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454723 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #9000 on: June 29, 2014, 10:37:47 am »

Ultima saga is going to feel a little dated. It's kind of equivalent to modern day Skyrim/Risen/Gothic except you're limited to the "main" quest and the world isn't actively "alive."

Actually, I guess it's more like a classic JRPG in terms of how the story plays out, although of course it's just you (not a party) and the combat is more direct than the turn-based of a JRPG.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: June 29, 2014, 10:42:34 am »

Anyone know if the UFO series is any good?
UFO: Aftershock
UFO: Aftermath
UFO: Afterlight
UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold
What's the difference??

After-foo is a different series from different developers than the Extraterrestrials altogether. Haven't played either yet, but I've heard that Extraterrestrials with some mods (Gold incorporates some of those mods I believe) is more closer to the original X-COM feel if that's what you're after.

---

GOG has all/most of their sale bundles up at the same time for the next 23ish hours. There's some pretty good and classic titles in there:
GOG

There's always UFO AI which is a work in progress and free.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: June 29, 2014, 10:50:18 am »

But no destructible terrain and boo-boo :'(

Yeah I hear it's a fairly good game. I think one of the forumites (Monkeyhead?) had a little LP of it running some months back. It looked fun from what I could tell.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: June 29, 2014, 11:00:02 am »

Get FEZ. It is the best.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: June 29, 2014, 11:01:06 am »

Chivalry Medieval Warfare is 80% for another hour as part of the daily deals. You can get the complete pack of the base game plus DLC for 6 bucks.

Get FEZ. It is the best.
FEZ is indeed good. Also, great soundtrack. Which you can buy. On Steam.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: June 29, 2014, 11:24:35 am »

Ultima saga is going to feel a little dated. ...

Yes, but it's still a decent series, and a good deal (11 games @ US$7).  It's worth playing for the historical context of the early days of CRPGs.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: June 29, 2014, 11:25:58 am »

Was this sale kind of disapointing or im just getting old?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: June 29, 2014, 11:34:59 am »

What do you guys think of the Risen Saga and the Ultima Saga on GOG.com. Are they worth the purchase and what kind of a game is Rise anyway?
The Risen games are in the same vein as the first 3 Gothic games if you've played those. As I understand it Risen 2 is a pretty bad game, but I haven't tried it yet.

If classic RPGs interest you, Ultima is a good choice but it's probably not worth getting the whole series. 1-3 are very old and simplistic. Ultima 9 is one of those occasional video game sequels that are so bad that it's best to pretend that they don't exist. For the rest it's a toss up. U7 and the Underworld spin-off games are the best the series has to offer IMO.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:38:08 am by TripJack »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: June 29, 2014, 11:38:36 am »

Was this sale kind of disapointing or im just getting old?

Fairly disappointing, but par for the course these past few years. Many of the really good deals aren't that great if you've been paying attention to bundles sold elsewhere. And Valve is making oodles off the gimmicks this time around as well.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: June 29, 2014, 12:27:40 pm »

Anyone know if the UFO series is any good?
UFO: Aftershock
UFO: Aftermath
UFO: Afterlight
UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold
What's the difference??

Also, how do they compare to that XCOM game I mentioned?

I quite liked the Aftershock series.  They're real-time with copious pausing, and once you adjust the auto-pausing it's pretty smooth.  The setting is darker than most XCOM remakes - something like 99% of humanity is wiped out in a bioweapon attack before the game even starts.  All the games are pretty good, but Afterlight is probably the best to start with as it's somewhat easier, and has the most streamlined UI.  Also it takes place on Mars.

Aftermath: Take back the planet with like a hundred slightly different real world weapons.
In Aftermath you retake the earth sector by sector.  Missions aren't all "kill all enemies": Initial missions are usually "Spot 8 enemies and escape" or "Capture a specimen from this sector" to evaluate the biomorph threat.  Easy missions can be safely delegated to other survivors, greatly reducing potential tedium.  Reticulans are mysteriously passive: they harass, and guard certain government installations you need to raid, but don't actually attack much.  The reason is eventually revealed, as a deadly new threat is deployed once you've recovered about 50% of the planet.
I played this one the most, good replayability.

Aftershock:  Lots more features, factions.  Slight story spoilers, but mainly just longwinded:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Afterlight: Takes place at the same time as Aftershock, but is the story of the humans exiled to Mars.  Squad members fight in space suits, which can be ruptured by enemy attacks (steady health drain until repaired).  Your mission is to terraform the planet, a slow process which visibly changes the overmap and battlegrounds as it progresses.  Watching an ocean on the overmap grow over an enemy facility was great.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Oh right, you're very short staffed because most of the colonists are in cryosleep until you finish terraforming (limited water, air, food...)  This means that instead of having dedicated soldiers, scientists, and engineers, most of your personnel will have two possible roles.  Sending a techie to fix the aquaduct or repair a facility grants them a lot of bonus XP, plus they have special tech-only combat abilities.  Mostly repairing suits/mechs, and laying explosives.  Scientists can be frailer but their anatomy skills let them specialize in doing massive damage to certain alien types.  And the main benefit is that these field-hardened techs and scientists will build and research much faster back at base.

So I'd definitely pick up Afterlight.  But to answer your question, no, they aren't much like original XCOM or the new XCOM.  I like the new XCOM's small squads and huge emphasis on cover mechanics and abilities, but they make it a lot different from any other XCOM-like game.

UFO: Extraterrestrials is what Xenonauts should have been.  It's XCOM but with a minimap, weapon progression beyond bullets-lasers-heavy plasma, and they've included a fan-mod which allows a lot of gameplay tweaking.  Don't let the new planet and lack of license fool you, it's the most faithful commercial remake of the original XCOM.  It also takes an exceptionally long time to win due to the added padding of the tech tree.  Definitely a game to play over weeks, not try to finish in a weekend.

Fun thing the fan-mod allows: increasing vision distance to include most of the map, eliminating the weird but classic XCOM tactic of having a rookie spot targets for a line of elite snipers.  Really helps the pace of combat in my opinion.

Revenge mode: Set the alien vision range to 2 tiles less than the human range.  (normally it's the other way around, because supposedly it's fun to get shot from offscreen, by invisible aliens "hiding" out in the open).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:36:07 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: June 29, 2014, 12:27:57 pm »

I am mildly furious that Ikaruga for $2.49 got shafted and never reappeared because people wanted Dark Souls up for the third time this sale alone at the same price.

I bought one thing, because anything I was actually interested in got bumped out of Community Sale in exchange for stuff like CoD Blops II at 50% off or Ghosts at 20%. FFS FPS people, good job.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: June 29, 2014, 12:39:36 pm »

I am mildly furious that Ikaruga for $2.49 got shafted ...

Yeah, the will of the mob is a hassle sometimes.  I also had my eye on a couple cheap things that didn't make the cut on voting.

But -50% / US$5 still ain't bad.  If Ikaruga was my sort of game, I'd buy it for that.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: June 29, 2014, 01:09:38 pm »

i feel your pain, i am extremely butthurt that the dominions 4 75% off deal got shafted because apparently people just really wanted repeat deals on derp island and deus ex human derpvolution
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:16:00 pm by TripJack »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: June 29, 2014, 01:20:43 pm »

i feel your pain, i am extremely butthurt that the dominions 4 75% off deal got shafted because apparently people just really wanted repeat deals on derp island and deus ex human derpvolution
Hey, Human Revolution is good.
Though it didn't need to be on sale as many times as it was.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: June 29, 2014, 01:51:46 pm »

How are the Borderlands 2 Headhunter packs?
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 1134