Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453810 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9540 on: October 17, 2014, 12:47:18 am »

If I get the game with the DLC, can I play vanilla for a while before turning on the DLC? Or is it automatically installed and enabled?

I'm not too bothered with the late game getting tedious, as long as I get a solid handful of hours of fun out of the game before I lose interest in it. I already have too many games, and I probably shouldn't be getting another one anyway. I'm guessing I won't get it at a lower price anytime soon, but while I know it's quite easy to obtain via piratey means, I really would prefer to support the developer.

I wish I had time to play the hell out of more games, but while in one sense I'm a lifelong hardcore gamer, in another sense I'm an adult with two jobs who spends so much of my valuable spare time playing Minecraft and making videos that I haven't seen a single non-work friend in months. So actually, a game that doesn't last for too many hours before becoming tedious is actually a bonus -- means I can get through it, get my fill of it, and move on.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9541 on: October 17, 2014, 12:58:12 am »

If I get the game with the DLC, can I play vanilla for a while before turning on the DLC? Or is it automatically installed and enabled?
I'm guessing I won't get it at a lower price anytime soon

I don't know about the DLC, I got burnt out on the game after 1 single map and never bought Reign of Giants. Price-wise:
https://www.steamprices.com/us/app/219740/dont-starve

It's only been cheaper once, as far as I know.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: October 17, 2014, 01:16:02 am »

X:COM Enemy Within is $9.89. While it's on my wishlist.....I think I can wait until the Winter Sale for massive DLC to a game I've yet to finish.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9543 on: October 17, 2014, 01:38:03 am »

6 hours left to grab Aliens Versus Predator for free.

AVP Classic 2000 is my favourite Aliens game to date. While it's very much a product of its time it still holds up amazingly well, much better than the other games in the series.
Don't forget to pick up the redux mod if you're (understandably) strangling with the visuals.
Do note however that the mods seem to not work with GoG's Galaxy version, at least currently. Let us hope this is just beta being beta and not a permanent "feature".
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9544 on: October 17, 2014, 01:54:08 am »

The DLC is set by the user to on or off at map generation. (Many other settings about mapgen are tweakable as well.)

A "Single Map" is rather misleading, as a) these maps are pretty damn big considering the scale of things (speed of movement, length of day, time to starvation, etc.) b) There are many sub-layers to each map. c) The non-sandbox portion of the game (i.e. the only way to actually win) is a series of randomly generated maps. And finally d) there's a triggerable map regeneration sequence that will let you take a few items with you to a fresh world.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: October 17, 2014, 10:55:18 am »

For anybody else curious about Payday 2 DLCs (the game's one of the many free ones this weekend, too, and I highly recommend it if you have at least two other bozos to co-op with you), here's my take; Keep in mind I'm talking about these mostly with an eye towards playing the game seriously enough to play Overkill difficulty.

First, the various weapon and etc. packs;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These are just my opinions on the three DLC heists; you don't really need any of them if you just plan to go play with random folk online. If you have a regular group, whoever's gonna host should have them. The Hotline Miami pack does have a set of three SMGs and some melee weapons (some of which are actually useful), so if that's your thing it's worth picking up regardless.

The Heists:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9546 on: October 18, 2014, 04:28:42 pm »

Humble Store has Devolver Digital weekend. There's some fun games on sale there.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: October 18, 2014, 05:38:17 pm »

Personally my big beef with don't starve was the constant progression of the world into the unlivable state. I'm always a big fan of the turtle up + slow expansion way of survival, and that just doesn't really work in a world that keeps becoming more and more difficult to survive in every day. Guess that's why I'm such big fan of DF, minecraft, and Cata though. :P
That would actually be a cool MC mod. As you play the world (very slowly) spawns harder and more dangerous enemies. It would also add some blocks that would lower the spawn level nearby, which would result in your base and nearby areas being fairly safe. On its own it wouldn't be very fun, but with the extra weapons/tools/defenses some mods give you it would be pretty neat.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9548 on: October 18, 2014, 05:39:45 pm »

I wouldn't mind a traps mod. Like a spike pit that kills mobs but leaves items totally safe. Or even just a resetting trapdoor-plate-thing.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: October 18, 2014, 11:57:49 pm »

I tried some of the free games on Steam this weekend, and I liked Injustice and both of the Trine games. Trine especially surprised me with how nice it looks and I haven't done any platforming lately. Injustice ran really well on my computer which is hit and miss sometimes with really nice looking or otherwise demanding games.

I didn't like Company of Heroes much but I think that's because I used to play Close Combat games and those were superior game-wise in my opinion despite their age and lack of cutscenes and modern graphics.

Blade Symphony was cool but I didn't do more than one match of multiplayer in it after playing in the offline training for a while.

Payday 2 runs really bad on my computer for some reason, otherwise I would have enjoyed it as I can tell it's a very good game. Cops run in slideshows, aiming is really slow and jerky.

Killing Floor I didn't spend much time on, but long enough to be eaten by zombies at least once or twice.

GRID 2 has BSOD issues with my graphics card in the same way Borderlands 2 does. That means I know how to fix it with Orochi CEG but I think I will try to beat the Injustice campaign first.

I did not download Awesomenauts or Don't Starve though both look like good games and I had no reason not to other than time limits.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:26:16 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9550 on: October 19, 2014, 12:01:47 am »

Injustice wants 30 GB. For a fighting game. What's up with that?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9551 on: October 19, 2014, 12:04:43 am »

It's an unoptimized uncompressed pile of shite?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9552 on: October 19, 2014, 02:41:50 am »

There are cutscenes between every fight in the Campaign to fill in the story. I'd imagine that's where a lot of the space goes but I don't know for sure.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: October 19, 2014, 02:50:06 am »

I recommend Awesomenauts to everyone. And I will continue to do so.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9554 on: October 19, 2014, 04:05:31 am »

Ok, what about Payday 1 vs 2? I stupidly missed the opportunity to grab 1 for free, but 90% off is still pretty neat compared to 2's 75% (because I'm cheap). Cons I see are less maps, less guns and less RPG elements, but some say gunplay is better in 1? So, what do you think?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 1134