Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I5 Intel processors versus the I7.  (Read 1005 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
I5 Intel processors versus the I7.
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:40:33 pm »

So I think it's time to upgrade my processor. I still have a crappy intel pentium D-925, and it just doesn't cut it for newer mainstream games. My question is, which one should I get, the I5 or I7?

As far as I can see, here's the main differences between the two:

-The I5 is usually clocked at a lower speed, around 0.5 GHz difference or so. (This shouldn't matter much, as I can overclock it when I get my hands on it anyways.)
-While both processors have 4 cores, the I7 has hyperthreading enabled which simulates 4 additional cores on top of the existing cores, essentially acting as an 8 core processor. (Not sure what this does for newer games which run on DX11, which is my main concern.)
-The I7 is around $300, and the I5 is priced around $200. Obviously I'd like to get the cheaper one, but if the extra speed justifies the cost, I'm willing to pay.

Since most hardware enthusiasts buy the best processors possible, I haven't been able to see any demonstration videos with specifications similar to either my current computer or the build that I'm planning to get. So, which one would the fine denizens of Bay12 recommend for me?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: I5 Intel processors versus the I7.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:49:58 pm »

i5.
Remember, most games use your video card more than your processor.
The i7 is most likely overkill.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:51:15 pm »

I have a 260GTX, but from what I've seen that should be enough.

Iced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:36:16 am »

The computer I recently put together is using an I7-950, That was probably a lot of overkill, no game at the moment is going to use that many cores.

I really would not have noticed any difference if I had gotten a higher end I5 instead. (I do like the 1366pin motherboards though, probably the reason I'm still happy with my decision)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:35 am »

Got an I7 and hardly ever use all 8 cores, but more often than not go beyond 4. I do tend to do stuff like edit large video files while compiling complex programs while playing DF in the background and playing music as well.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:56:40 pm »

I5 is fine for the next 18 months - 2 years of latest games while the I7 is a bit futureproof for up to 50% longer. It's your decision. Personally I go for top of the line mobo and cpu while going for second or third best video card since I will have to replace that sooner usually. Just my 2 cents.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:38:50 pm »

Welp, I've made my decision to get a I7-950, and overclock it myself. (And save about 50 bucks in the process too.)

That, plus a new motherboard that supports the cpu, should run me about $500-$520 depending on how cheap I can get them from shady back-alley hardware dealerships. Thanks all for the speedy replies and whatnot. =D

Iced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:12:08 am »

That, plus a new motherboard that supports the cpu, should run me about $500-$520 depending on how cheap I can get them from shady back-alley hardware dealerships. Thanks all for the speedy replies and whatnot. =D
$500-$520! What sort of motherboard are you getting?

I paid $229(AUD) for my G-B X58A-UD3R, and parts aren't cheap in Australia. (http://www.msy.com.au/)

You should never be paying that much unless your buying from some silly chain store like Harvey Norman. (never, ever do this) look around for somewhere that sells parts at reasonable prices, or even order from the net.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 04:18:05 am »

$500-$520! What sort of motherboard are you getting?
I think he means mobo+cpu...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Iced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 06:36:25 am »

That...would make sense, yes.

Sorry.