Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need a block of obsidian.  (Read 1605 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need a block of obsidian.
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:47:20 am »

Roughly 100x100x6 (or taller, havent decided). Fully above ground, midair even. Whats the best way to filling such a space with magma while dodging evaporation?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: I need a block of obsidian.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:57:11 am »

Unless you wan't to cheat, build walls around the area you want to fill. Then pump either water or magma into it; enough for the bottom level and no more. Have a resevoir built over the tub filled with water/magma (whichever is not in the tub already), making sure it's the same width and length of the tub. Have the bottom of the reservoir be composed of nothing but magma-safe hatch covers and magma-safe mechanisms, all connected to the same lever. When all is set up, pull the lever and it should dump magma onto each square of water in the tub and create a layer of obsidian. Close the hatches and repeat for each layer.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:03:11 pm »

After building the mould:

Pump a bunch of magma into level 0.
Pump a bunch of water into level 1. It'll fall all over the magma and create a full level of water.
Pump a bunch of magma into level 2. It'll fall all over the water and create a full level of magma.
Repeat.

Disclaimer: I just thought this up after reading the OP.

Edit: edited for wrong levels.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:05:38 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:10:32 pm »

What I do is what Sutremaine said. To elaborate on that process, first build two pump stacks, one for water and one for lava, a z-level higher than you want to the final product to be. You can look pump stacks up on the wiki if you don't know what they are.This can be done concurrently with building the mold walls, but you should have both pump stacks up to start with, since you couldn't do even a single level without them both anyway. Don't forget to hook them to levers, because you'll be turning them off and on a lot. If you want an extra degree of safety, you can put a magma-safe floodgate on each level to let out excess. This won't be necessary if you're paying attention the whole time, but since you're never done this before it might be a good idea anyway. Note that venting excess fluids, especially lava, will make trouble for whatever's standing under and around the floodgate.

Once you've got it all that stuff set up, basically do what Sutremaine said. Only point of interest: Try and shut the pumps off when things would even out to around 4 depth. You don't need the full 7, and if you try for it, you're likely to get water in more than one z, which can cause problems and would require you to vent excess.

Once you've got all the levels done, just strip away the walls and the pump stacks (though depending on how you built them, you may want to leave the lower levels intact).

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 01:26:47 pm »

Putting the magma on top of the water isn't guaranteed to work correctly, you may end up with single-tile holes in the obsidian filled with magma and have to use water a second time.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 01:48:41 pm »

Trouble is, magma at 1/7 will evaporate. Will that be any issue?

Anyway, I did a more careful measure. The fort itself will be 87x87, with towers going out the main wall by 3 tiles.

I was thinking of making an overstructure. About two levels over where I intend the final floor, I will build out a mold, with several chambers to it, and bridges for a floor. After filling that up to a suitable amount., I retract the bridges, filling the floor before adding water and refilling the mold.  I will also put in a few support beams, so I can just pull a lever and deconstruct the entire thing at once. This method also lets my dwarfs work from ground level and away from danger.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 02:36:52 pm »

Putting the magma on top of the water isn't guaranteed to work correctly, you may end up with single-tile holes in the obsidian filled with magma and have to use water a second time.
I don't see how. For that to happen, wouldn't the magma have to replace the water somehow?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 04:04:21 pm »

Yes. From what I've seen, water flowing into magma makes obsidian, but magma flowing into water may just annihilate the water. Usually the water from an adjacent tile then flows back in to create obsidian but there can still be gaps filled with magma.

Edit: Example here. It might have changed since then but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:09:44 pm by QuantumMenace »

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 04:11:17 pm »

Roughly 100x100x6 (or taller, havent decided). Fully above ground, midair even. Whats the best way to filling such a space with magma while dodging evaporation?
If you don't mind me asking... why?
What do you think? Yes? No?

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 04:13:20 pm »

This is DF. A better question is, why not?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:23:10 pm »

Natural stone can be engraved, constructions can't. Obsidian is also the most valuble layer stone in the game, so it's worth doing those engravings.

Plus, it's something to do.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 08:16:47 pm »

This is DF. A better question is, why not?

!!*QUOTE*!!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 09:53:00 pm »

Natural stone can be engraved, constructions can't. Obsidian is also the most valuble layer stone in the game, so it's worth doing those engravings.

Plus, it's something to do.

You are exactly correct good sir. I plan on making a fortress above the ground, cast in obsidian so I can engrave it.  I still have lots of work to do, but this is turning into one epic project after another. I have already managed to bring magma to the surface. (Being held in ice no less), And farming it for obsidian to build the foundation. If all goes according to plan, I will have an elevated fortress, above ground, holding everything I need. Situated over an 85x85 area of open terrain which I can use to harvest trees. Unbreakable, Unsiegable, Unburnable, Unstoppable.

Until then, my current hole in the ground will need to do. As it turns out this is an incredibly shallow map, with magma seas just 10 z levels underground, and SMR just 30 below ground.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 09:59:26 pm »

Nice. Is there much in the SMR, or is that shallow too?

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 11:19:44 pm »

I rather not try to break the SMR and risk HFS. I'm still a rookie when it comes to military matters.

I have always wanted to build an aboveground obsidian fortress. With this map, I have everything I need to do just that, and every reason to do so as well. Between the caverns and the magma sea, there is not much room to build down.