Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Change  (Read 5286 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Change
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 09:06:21 am »

A joke, huh  ???
Interesting to see what counts as humour nowadays...

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 09:27:38 am »

A joke, huh  ???
Interesting to see what counts as humour nowadays...

I don't really care whether it's funny or not, I wasn't intending on insulting any woman and I don't really think that an intelligent woman should be insulted when some random forum guy posts a figure of speech, joke, etc. It wasn't intended as a joke and is not.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 09:29:21 am »

If it wasn't intended as a joke or to be insulting, then what was it intended to be? I can't really see any other ways to take that statement.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 09:39:24 am »

some random forum guy
This isn't your average random forum. We care.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 09:51:54 am »

1. I was not intending to insult women, anyway.

2. This has gone way off-topic.

If it wasn't intended as a joke or to be insulting, then what was it intended to be? I can't really see any other ways to take that statement.

As a figure of speech. Listen, we are from different cultures, and insults are viewed differently, so just forget it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:57:19 am by Domenique »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 10:10:11 am »

Eh, I'm against any culture where degreading women is viewed as ok.
Just be mindful about what you say.
This isn't /b/ or a mens locker room after all.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 10:32:21 am »

My culture isn't anti-feminist (that's hasty generalization and hasty conclusion in one), it's just that my people don't take these things seriously.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 01:05:29 pm »

So uh... you just throw out random, nonfunny offensive things every now and again just because you feel that people "don't take these things seriously"?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 04:46:01 pm »

Oh jee, if you are to be as intelligent as you say you are, atleast have a sense of humour. It's just a figure of speech, not that i'm trying to reduce women. If you are an intelligent woman, good for you, but if you want to be seen as one, don't react to sexist jokes, you won't seem like a woman that fights for women rights or something, but rather a girl that can't understand a joke. Cheers :).

Because women who react to sexist jokes are stupid, rather than humorless?

Because a culture that finds these things trivial enough to joke about is "in the right," and those who stand up for it are somehow lacking in intellect.

Or because it's safer to say "it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings if it isn't intentional."

If it were a crowd of men saying "quit it," would you call all of them stupid, or would you rethink?  Would you say that they "can't understand a joke," or would you say that they don't think it's funny?

No need to answer any of the above.  I'm just throwing them out as speculation.

Just because it is your culture does not mean that it is the culture here.  As you may have noticed, this place is not the mainstream, and it does have its own rules as a separate society from the norm.  I would like to tell you that, gently, because this is a place where we do not make those sorts of jokes--since certain people among us find it rather difficult to laugh at them.

I'm not here to jump on you and wrestle you to the ground.  I'm trying to explain that things are simply done differently in these parts, and you might want to rethink your behavior.

My culture isn't anti-feminist (that's hasty generalization and hasty conclusion in one), it's just that my people don't take these things seriously.

My people don't take these things seriously either.  Ever.  Why do you think I'd be angry about it?

I'm tired of people feeling safe to say, to my face, grinning, "there's sexism and racism in the world, and I'm A-OK with that."  They weren't joking.  Why should I be the one feeling unsafe when I speak up, for fear of "not getting the joke" that seems to be inevitably told about me, by people who are not like me--in a vein of humor I never indulge in?

I don't think that makes very much sense, personally.

As far as change goes... well, I don't know.  If you're talking about new cosmetic changes, I've taken a leaf out of the prime minister of Ukraine's book and decided to start dressing a little bit differently.  I don't know how differently people are reacting to it, but I think they've started being somewhat more welcoming... or maybe it's just my demeanor that's changed.

In any case, I certainly don't know if I can say "all change is unilaterally good."  It seems more appropriate to me to say that "all change has the potential for good, somewhere along the line."  I can't say that as a statement derived from first principles, of course, but it's part of my outlook on life.

Sometimes, I suppose, you just have to take a guess and run with it.  That "sometimes" is seeming more and more frequent to me, nowadays.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 04:53:08 pm »

dude you just opened a can of shit for yourself.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »

I see cosmic smackdown approaching...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 07:23:29 pm »

dude you just opened a can of shit for yourself.

I see cosmic smackdown approaching...

Sweethearts, I already responded to his post.  Contrary to popular belief, not everything sets me off to drink testicle smoothies for breakfast.

There's a few ways this could go now, but you know... I never intend to get in a fight ^_^;;
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 07:54:29 pm »

girls are so mean D:

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 08:11:07 pm »

girls are so mean D:

Trollololololo~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 08:31:13 pm »

Means are so girly!

(?Que?)

I think that the guy needs a lesson of savoir-vivre, and that Vector overreacted.
In case anybody would like to know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5