Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tantrum Spiral Memorial  (Read 1250 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Tantrum Spiral Memorial
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:32:47 pm »

I've lost 55 dwarves to a fort-ending tantrum spiral.  Or at least I would have, except that my single addy-clad soldier survived.  I'm starting to love that guy.  Migrants have arrived, coffins produced, bodies tucked away, and acres of forbidden stone and food that had been thrown during tantrums, all reclaimed.

I'd like to build a memorial for them, preferably above-ground.  This was all triggered when a FB spawned near my tunnel entrance, and a single nameless peasant got locked outside.  Because there was a second FB in the cavern, I've yet to reclaim his body, but I'm working on capturing both FB safely.  I copied the world folder, and wrote down every death and cause of death, so I know who to memorialize and who died before or after the tantrum.  The question is: what now?

Current idea is to make a tunnel-tuber log tower, because there was a lot of miasma involved, and get all of their bodies away in tunnel-tuber caskets.  Alternative idea is a short, squat mausoleum made from blood-thorn, or similar menacing-sounding material, and to make it partially underground.

Thoughts?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrum Spiral Memorial
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:35:01 pm »

Make it a golden spiral rising up into the sky.
Or cinnabar, if you want to make it red.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:39:15 pm »

I don't want it to overshadow my fort, which is (going to be) a tower, so I'd prefer no spires or towers for the memorial, and also a small footprint because I think I'll need more memorial sites in the future.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:43:23 pm »

Make it a golden spiral rising up into the sky.
Or cinnabar, if you want to make it red.
No, a lead spiral going downwards.

A spiral quarry, that is.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »

See, that's more like it!  If I had access to lead I'd do that, but as it stands it will likely be copper, perhaps iron.  I have lots of both.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:53:00 pm »

You could cast the mausoleum from obsidian, if you wanted to be able to engrave it; that'd probably require a good amount of time before you could get the stiffs in, though. Another option would be to have it made of two types of wood (say, nether cap and tunnel tube) and use alternating colours and layering to put an icon or image on the structure. Not exactly high-visibility, but you'd know it was there.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 05:00:39 pm »

I'm generally against engravings, purely because you can't control what goes on them.  I'm much more likely to carve statues and place them as I wish, so I can be sure to get all-tantrum goodness.  Depending on the plan, the statues would likely be the same material type.  Sadly the FB who started it all has no associated materials.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 07:32:51 pm »

Make statues until you have one of every dead dwarf. Sure, it will take hundreds if not thousands, but what's time to a dwarf? Build a garden in a steel box within a deep cavern adjacent/beneath the magma sea. Coffins or slabs for each dwarf, next to their statue.

Seal off the garden, flood the cavern with magma so that it can never be visited other than by magma crabs and such.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 07:45:55 pm »

I don't want to build something opulent for them.  After all, the damned civvies just got sad and killed each other.  That's why I want to make it out of something cheap like wood or lead, except I don't have lead.  I do have ~50k tetrahedrite on the map, so I'll make it from copper and the leftover silver will be put to good use.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »

I don't want to build something opulent for them.  After all, the damned civvies just got sad and killed each other.  That's why I want to make it out of something cheap like wood or lead, except I don't have lead.  I do have ~50k tetrahedrite on the map, so I'll make it from copper and the leftover silver will be put to good use.

In that case, make the statues and caskets out of wood and leave the door open to the memorial, and after it's built vaporize it with magma, fill in the chamber with water, and mine their useless obsidianized corpses.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 08:05:03 pm »

cast obsidian tower/pyramid/tumulus.
[PREFSTRING:solemnness]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 08:30:57 pm »

Right now I'm doing the whole thing our of copper.  5x5 pit, 11 layers deep (or maybe 12-13) with 5 casket per level.  Stairs will be placed on the corners, such that it spirals downward and never use an up/down stair, and only uses up stairs and down stairs.  At the bottom will be the original dead dwarf's casket, with a level all his own, so that all may understand the magnitude of his fail.  Statues of various forms of dwarven death will adorn the site, particularly the small surface shack.  It's being built a bit away from the main fort, dug down into virgin soil.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 08:57:01 pm »

I like it.  Will there be anything special in it for the survivor?  Like maybe a statue of him on a platform above the spiral?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 09:02:36 pm »

He's got like a dozen more on his kill list and he doesn't get entombed in the Shrine of Fail.  That in itself is reward enough.  Dwarves don't get rewarded for surviving.  Surviving is normal, they're not doing anything special.  That's why I also argue against pointless graduations like "4th grade graduation" and birthdays, also New Years.  There should be no reward for continuing to not fail!

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 03:22:58 am »

You should consecrate the pit first by filling it with barrels of blood and pouring magma on them.

Nothing could represent tantrums better than having the walls and floor painted with boiled blood.
Pages: [1] 2