Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Swapping out elves for..?  (Read 2153 times)

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swapping out elves for..?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 02:42:00 am »

"She enjoys astrology, sleeping with musicians, and patchiouli for its scent's perfect mingling with natural body odors.  She needs cannibus to make it through the working day ... at least if she had a real job in the first place."
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 02:45:00 am »

I know what you should do!
Don't remove the elves, just edit the raws so that they burst into flame upon appearance!
Or, if that's impossible, edit them until they no longer resemble elves.

"This is Llofleehamentith Amaranth the !!Elf!!."
"Attack this unit? This may provoke a hostile reaction."
"The !!Elf!! strikes you in the upper body with it's proboscis!"
"The !!Elf!! lets loose a burst of flame from it's mouth!"
"The !!Elf!! gives into pain"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 02:48:00 am »

I think you can set the boiling point for their bones.  Just set that to "0", and watch them sizzle.  I have no clue what will happen.  They may melt.

Thingy Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Disemboweld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I think you can set the boiling point for their bones.  Just set that to "0", and watch them sizzle.  I have no clue what will happen.  They may melt.</STRONG>

That most likely wouldn't kill them, but once one of there bodies rot you would see boiling clouds of bone vapor.

What you should do is make them generate heat but make them unable to tolerate the  heat at the same time.

Simmilar to the problem toady had with magma men melting them selves earlyer on.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 08:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Forumsdwarf:
<STRONG>

When life hands you lemons don't you make lemonade?</STRONG>

Elfade? just add purring maggot milk to taste.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 09:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Forumsdwarf:
<STRONG>"She enjoys astrology, sleeping with musicians, and patchiouli for its scent's perfect mingling with natural body odors.  She needs cannibus to make it through the working day </STRONG>
... at least she would, if she was able to stoop to working for the man in the first place.

FTFY   :D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 09:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Thingy Master:
<STRONG>
What you should do is make them generate heat but make them unable to tolerate the  heat at the same time.

Simmilar to the problem toady had with magma men melting them selves earlyer on.</STRONG>

Actually, that was because the heat melted the "lava stone" that magma men were made out of.  They didn't melt themselves (this is assumed from his notes in the creature file, but I don't actually know).

A creature with the [FIXED_TEMP] token will be impervious to temperature changes, since they're always the same heat.  

Pity about them not melting though.  Still, a cloud of "boiling elf bone" vapor would be pretty cool.

Demology

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

I simply changed the elfs into orcs,
felt goblins needed some allies to stir things up a bit.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

So you want to replace the elves. Are you looking to change the aesthetics only, or do you want different stats for the race?

If it's aesthetics, you could replace elves with traditional folklore forest creatures such as:
*gremlins
*fey
*nymphs
*wild trolls
*wisps

Or, you could try some interesting variants:
*gargoyles
*specters and other non-corporeal undead
*sentient parasitic flowers that take over the bodies of humans, and sprout colorful petals all over the carcasses of their victims
*symbiants between dumb animals and sentient fungi
*four-armed creatures with a long, upright snout and a fleshy skirt sticking out of their lower torso, as a substitute for legs. They supposedly make a perfume of sorts by sucking tree sap, a perfume which has the side effect of keeping their flesh hale and moist (as they cannot drink water).

I realize that most of these aren't really original. I could write a ton of unique ideas here (such as armless creatures crafting nests out of their own progesterone-induced black phlegm, sculpting the mess with their multiple, tentacle-like tongues before it runs dry, or creatures that become effectively invisible while near trees), but it would probably be impossible to mod them in.

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 10:37:00 am »

*sentient parasitic flowers that take over the bodies of humans, and sprout colorful petals all over the carcasses of their victims   :) That must be put into the game!
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

Why not make a race of....  trees? I mean, the raceglosses work great now, so why not make a race of immobile sentient trees? Make them use bows, or give them firebreath or something.  :p
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

Trees with a firebreath but in turn set themselves on fire, turning into a kamikaze tree?

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>Trees with a firebreath but in turn set themselves on fire, turning into a kamikaze tree?</STRONG>

There are plenty of trees whose seeds will only sprout after the area is cleared by a forest fire; what better way to ensure that your progeny won't be hampered by more established plants than to firebomb the surrounding area?

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

Tree Wars. The diffrent trees burn down eachother. I bet the oaks win.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Wow, lot more replies than I thought I'd get.  ;)

Centaurs would be interesting if I could get them to act as their own packmules for trading, I'm not sure if that's something I can do with just the raws.

Sasquatches could be pretty cool.

Something insectoid.. would creep me out, but it might work anyway.  ;)

And I hadn't thought of replacing them with a belligerant species, so swapping in ogres or trolls or something could definitely work.

I'll probably spend some time with the raws this weekend, gen up a bunch of different sets, and see what feels best.

Pages: 1 [2] 3