Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: .19 loves freakembarks? /help?  (Read 1680 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
.19 loves freakembarks? /help?
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:59:10 am »

trying to find a suitable embark for a game for 2 hrs now ... i usually look for multi shallow/deep metals and flux sites in the finder

but somehow those that work have all cruel sideeffects

from a major river flooding into the first cavern into a giant magmasea just 5 z-level below ground followed by 50 z-level of semi molten rock with identical stonelayers at the corner (quadratic orthoclase section for about 50 level)

to a freaky candy pillar-world with open access to fun (thus screaming starts the moment i unpause) and finally an embark on a small isle at the ocean shore sourrounded by sharks and werewolves o.O

am i doing something wrong or is it just bad luck? i mean i like fun maps but i just wanted to test few new designs and game aproaches not that crazy stuff^^

edit it must be freak settings i now get lots of maps with open caverns up to cavern 2 where many of the caverns sport outside stuff (for at least 12 z-levels downwards o.O

edit 2: ok im giving up .. even reverting to saner settings (only cave size and density settings changed abit give me only those kinds of embarks

see below for a screenshot .. any idea whats wrong?

for details hell is visible magma and water in cavern mixed .. open caverns up to cavern 3 + those odd quadratic areas

all i tried to achieve is smaller and compact caves :/ below example is quite standard-embark by now .. even just randoms

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:57:07 am by schussel »

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: .19 loves freakembarks? /help?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:07:47 am »

I've often had similar problems to lesser extent in .19. Miss-aligned caverns and hell coming through magma sea in big square patterns like that. A symptom of it seems to be a volcano showing up in the mid-scale map but not the embark square selection one.

Seemed like altering the advanced parameters made it much more common.

Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:09:57 am »

I think it has something to do with gaps between biomes...
Soaplent green is goblins!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:11:00 am »

Try closing and restarting Dwarf Fortress between all worldgen attempts - it's possible some memory isn't being properly initialized.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:14:35 am »

Try closing and restarting Dwarf Fortress between all worldgen attempts - it's possible some memory isn't being properly initialized.

gonna try that  later .. im kinda exhausted now

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:01:42 pm »

Looks like a critical overload of fun.