Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rocs are unaffected by cage traps, yet don't have TRAPAVOID.  (Read 4318 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Rocs are unaffected by cage traps, yet don't have TRAPAVOID.
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:02:24 pm »

So in an attempt to capture and breed yet another improbable and dangerous creature, I started a new fortress on an embark site containing the nest of a female roc.  My goal was to capture and tame her and enjoy fresh roc eggs until I could entice a male roc to visit, at which point I'd start a roc farm.  First thing I did, after throwing together a hastily dug fortress, was build a nest box with a cage trap right in front of it.  She flew right over the cage trap without setting it off and claimed the nest box.  I build a few nearby cage traps and lured her into flying across them.  Again, nothing.  Cage traps should work against flying creatures, buzzards and giant eagles can usually be caught by them reliably, so I was puzzled as to what was causing this.

I checked the raw files for BIRD_ROC.  They do not have TRAPAVOID.

Thinking that perhaps the cage traps were failing to work against her because she was a local resident, or something, I managed with some difficulty to lure her onto a cage trap sandwiched between locked doors, and fortifications.  I arranged a nearby cave-in and blasted her with cave-in dust.  She was knocked unconscious on the cage trap, yet the trap did not go off, and she was not caged.

I'm at a loss.  The only other thing I can think of to try is using a GCS to web her on a trap, but the lures I've put out in the caverns have failed to attract a GCS.  I've yet to actually ever see a GCS in the current version in fortress mode, I'm not convinced they still ever show up without modding. 

I suspect that very large creatures may be immune to being caged now.  If so, this would be new behavior.  I can provide a save of this fortress if anyone wants to experiment.

As an aside:  Despite being allegedly 2310 times the size of a turkey egg, a roc egg still adds one or two units to a stack of cooked food.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocs are unaffected by cage traps, yet don't have TRAPAVOID.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:11:58 pm »

Try putting webs on the cage. See if that works.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:13:00 pm »

Try putting webs on the cage. See if that works.
If I could find a GCS to do so, I would.  You can't just pick up a web and move it, you need a GCS to deposit webbing on an already-existing cage trap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:17:15 pm »

Yeah, then get some. Or build a cage on a web. That's easier.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:25:57 pm »

Building a cage, or anything else, on a web destroys the web.  You need to build the trap, then get a GCS to put a web on it.

I have a handful of GCS traps placed in the caverns.  I'll see if they trap anything.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:38:55 pm »

Could be a bug. Like the contaminants still spreading even if you put the spread_contaminants: NO in the init file.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 10:43:49 pm »

If the creature is there before you embark, theres some bug with it being tagged as 'friendly'
Something similar happens to the animal-men in the caverns.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:45:40 pm »

Does being there at embark cause them to not set off traps?  And if so, shouldn't cave-in dust knock them out and cause them to trigger a trap?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:48:12 pm »

Have you tried building a roof over the nest and all eight adjacent tiles (with cage-traps in those eight adjacent tiles)? That would force her to "fly" at zero altitude in order to reach the nest.
Never pet a burning dog.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 12:52:10 am »

First guess would be that it somehow flew.  I recently captured a flying FB in .19, along with a dozen other of its fellows, so I can assure you that GCS are alive and well, just bad luck on your part.  So, try using a roof to force it onto the traps proper.  Failing that, I would assume it to be some bug caused by being a local resident.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 08:34:59 am »

The cage traps were in a single tile wide/tall tunnel, so she can't have flown over them.  I have her now hemmed in between two doors, sitting directly on a cage trap, not setting it off.

Do GCS wander onto the map if they weren't there to begin with?  I have yet to see one during the time I've been running this fortress (despite the fact that their webs are everywhere) but I'll leave the underground traps active for a while.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:47:40 am »

Use the door lure.  A wooden door and a cage trap 2 spaces away, hemmed in by walls to force the GCS to get on the cage.  Best done in 1st cavern layer, as there's fewer building destroyers here.  Much like any creature, they wander on and off the map, so if you kill the current cavern residents then another pack of animals will arrive.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:50:49 am »

Are rocs immune to being knocked out by the dust from cave ins? You could have a mini-collapse in a tunnel next to the roc tunnel and make fortifications between them for the dust to go through.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 08:54:18 am »

Are rocs immune to being knocked out by the dust from cave ins? You could have a mini-collapse in a tunnel next to the roc tunnel and make fortifications between them for the dust to go through.

As I stated in my original post, I already tried this.  The Roc was knocked out by the cave-in dust directly on top of a cage trap, but did not set off the cage trap.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 10:21:42 am »

Does the cage trap have a cage in it?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,
Pages: [1] 2