Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hang on Embark?  (Read 1313 times)

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
Hang on Embark?
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »

Howdy.

I just tried a couple times in different locations, different worlds, to embark with untrained dwarves and only a steel anvil, one lump of garnierite (or whatever metal ore was available), and around 75 dogs. Every time, the game hangs on embark, and doesn't do anything at all (I left it for about 20 minutes). The fan is going full-bore, so there's definitely computation going on. I've only tried this on one computer, but the game works fine when I embark in those same locations with a "normal" loadout. This happens as soon as I press 'e' for "embark". I'm using 31.19.

Anyone else have this problem or have any idea what's going on? I'm going to get a fresh copy of the game and see what happens.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Hang on Embark?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:58:16 pm »

75 dogs
Why? And that may be your problem.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:03:04 pm »

What business do seven dwarves have with 75 dogs in the middle of nowehre?

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:05:56 pm »

I've had at least 75 animals running around in regular forts. It'll cause low FPS, but certainly not as low as 1 frame per 20+ minutes!

As to the reason, I wanted to use up my embark points. But I think that's beside the point, it doesn't seem too unreasonable to have 75 units on a map.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:17:12 pm »

i get that mostly when i embark on potentially glitched world/location. things like volcano that's actually there but not shown on regional embark screen, or not lifting surround terrain, exposed HFS etc.
even 2X2 embarks were going to hang.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:18:58 pm »

I downloaded Phobeuss 31.19 and couldn't get it to work. I tried embarking 4 times, and only "embark now with whatever is the default" worked, but I got a rectangular hole all the way down, with some water and magma, and lower FPS than in a 5 year old fort, so I quit. My other three attempts looked like a memory leak. DF would grow to about 2GB, then crash on embark.

I stick with LNP 7.0 (31.18) for now. It is pretty stable.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:26:09 pm »

Yeah, the clean version I installed cleared up the problem.

That's weird, my version must have been generating Weird Things on every embark location in the world or something.