Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Iron, Flux, Platinum, sand, clay, 0.31.19 embark  (Read 2427 times)

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Iron, Flux, Platinum, sand, clay, 0.31.19 embark
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:09:30 pm »

I've found Iron, Flux, and Platinum so far and there should be at least 2 more metals to find. Completely flat at the 3x3 I'm digging, only one layer of soil, a massive amount of iron, and there is a nice surprise if you dig 20 z-levels straight down in the center of the map. The stream is 5 tiles wide and has a great name, Chunkyearth the Trifling Prestige. Some great civ names too.

Edit: I guess my modding has bit me in the proverbial rear, and you may need Hippo Pack to generate this world. If you don't like my modifications, they can be mostly ignored. Although immigrants do like to show up with shiny hippos on occasion, they aren't all that different from regular hippos.

Spoiler: Biome 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Biome 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Iron, Flux, Platinum, sand, clay, 0.31.19 embark
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:54:13 pm »

Do you have seriously modded raws or something? Because I have tried generating this world in Ironhand, Phoebus, and even vanilla and do not get the same world as is in your screenshots there...  The world is still called 'The Dimensions of Myth', but the continent is 'The Sacrificial Continent' instead of 'The Delightful Continents', and the land is shaped completely different, with a large bay a little to the west of center at the north of the map, covering the area where your embark is.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:02:59 pm »

Do you have seriously modded raws or something? Because I have tried generating this world in Ironhand, Phoebus, and even vanilla and do not get the same world as is in your screenshots there...  The world is still called 'The Dimensions of Myth', but the continent is 'The Sacrificial Continent' instead of 'The Delightful Continents', and the land is shaped completely different, with a large bay a little to the west of center at the north of the map, covering the area where your embark is.

From Toady's dev blog (or whatever it is called), "•fixed a problem causing worlds to generate different results at times"  It looks like you might be encountering that bug, I don't know what the bug exactly is, but maybe you can get the same result if you try again?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:32 pm »

Yea I keep getting teh same world no matter what I do, I even went and installed the hippo pack in the OP's sig thinking maybe that had something to do with it and I get the same world, which is not the one in the OP, odd.

Nevermind, it was the hippo pack.  I had accidentally opened the world I generated before installing the pack instead of the one after.  Installing the hippo pack gave me the world in the OP.  I like the embark, I really do, but I don't like the sillyness of the hippo pack stuff XD
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:10:35 pm by gtmattz »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:16:38 pm »

17k Magnetite
3.5k Garnierite
2.4k Cassiterite
383 Native Platinum

Not too bad, enough iron to choke to death on, plenty of wood and flux to crank out a decent amount of steel.  I would prefer a few veins of gold, but I am partial to making furniture and such from gold. 

Overall not a bad site, but I think the OP should state in his post that this requires the hippo pack to be installed to generate properly.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:56:51 pm »

Yea I keep getting teh same world no matter what I do, I even went and installed the hippo pack in the OP's sig thinking maybe that had something to do with it and I get the same world, which is not the one in the OP, odd.

Nevermind, it was the hippo pack.  I had accidentally opened the world I generated before installing the pack instead of the one after.  Installing the hippo pack gave me the world in the OP.  I like the embark, I really do, but I don't like the sillyness of the hippo pack stuff XD
Custom workshops affect worldgen, or is it the shiny hippos? Did you see the magma surprise in the first cavern?

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:15 pm »

17k Magnetite
3.5k Garnierite
2.4k Cassiterite
383 Native Platinum

Not too bad, enough iron to choke to death on, plenty of wood and flux to crank out a decent amount of steel.  I would prefer a few veins of gold, but I am partial to making furniture and such from gold. 

Overall not a bad site, but I think the OP should state in his post that this requires the hippo pack to be installed to generate properly.

Do you have a program or something that'll count up all the elements in the map? I want that :D

EDIT: Ooh, its that prospector thing. Neat
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:02:48 am by Zeranamu »

blaize9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blaizecraft
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:30:10 am »

17k Magnetite
3.5k Garnierite
2.4k Cassiterite
383 Native Platinum

Do you have a program or something that'll count up all the elements in the map? I want that :D

EDIT: Ooh, its that prospector thing. Neat
download DF hack and use dfreveal and dfprospector, it will show you how many of what you got

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 12:35:19 am »

Do you ahve a volcano?

I got a genesis embark with coke (peat, equivalent to lignite but in soil), hematite, gold, and exposed silver on the surface. It's not as good as platinum but there's a lot more gold overall.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 12:47:26 am »

I have a save file where I start with over 12000 units of iron ore, lots of flux and an abundance of gold, silver, copper, sand, lead, fire clay, platinum and microcline for the nostalgic. About half of it is in an embark with an aquifer in sandstone than contains about 10k of the iron in magnetite, the other half is aquifer free. You can get to several magnetite clusters without doing anything fancy thought and there is hematite further down. Trees are sparse at best and there are only 2 cavern layers to help squeak out more FPS on my old comp. Oh, and it is a saltwater desert so you might want to tap the aquifer for a well. If anyone is interested I can post the save file or worldgen seed, though I probably won't bother if nobody wants it.
Memento Mori

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:15:38 am »

Yip - getting iron in 19 seems to be the main reasons for mods.

27 worlds and I haven't seen it yet....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:37:10 am »

Odd. It is certainly rarer but it doesn't usually take me more than a couple of embarks on shallow metals sites to find. Of course if you have other criteria that makes it harder. I wish iron were more common and gold less so. I didn't really like being able to mine every metal on almost every map, but this way it seems like all the metals occur with about the same frequency. Oh well, it is supposed to be worked on eventually. 
Memento Mori

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 03:20:16 am »

These kind of sites are not that rare (not that they don't often require multiple worldgens, but that's how .19 is). Now, add coal in that and we are talking. The only site with coal I have found was bugged to hell.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Niseg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:29:26 am »

17k Magnetite
3.5k Garnierite
2.4k Cassiterite
383 Native Platinum

I got a better embark . It has 50k~ magnetite , plenty of B Coal, same Cassiterite, Tetrahedrite,  Galena and I think I got both  Garnierite and Sphalerite . It has no aquifer with a thick forest,lots of rainfall and pools , plenty annoying critters  .It does  have a small bay on the sea though .  It's a very short history game but I did see a snatcher (so goblinite ore is also available).

I got an after embark  save (modified Taters from wiki) . I  can give you the parameters and location - If you tell me how to extract them from the safe  or how to clean the pre-generated map ;). I don't have high boots though .
Projects:Path finding simulator(thread) -A*,weighted A*(traffic zones), user set waypoints (path caching), automatic waypoint room navigation,no-cache room navigation.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 08:16:28 am »

If either of those maps have limestone, sand, clay, whip vines, and rope reed then that is what I'm really looking for. I just posted this since it seemed interesting.

Do you ahve a volcano?

I got a genesis embark with coke (peat, equivalent to lignite but in soil), hematite, gold, and exposed silver on the surface. It's not as good as platinum but there's a lot more gold overall.
The surprise in the first cavern, center of the map is a magma pipe. Only 20 z-levels down too.
Pages: [1] 2