Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Maximizing FPS?  (Read 4634 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Maximizing FPS?
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:10:45 pm »

I just embarked from the mountainhomes, and booooooy is my FPS low!
Seriously, though. I think it's kinda weird that RIGHT AFTER EMBARK my FPS is in the 20's. I used dfreveal to look for problems, but I can't really find any.

EDIT: After another peek into the caverns with reveal, I noticed that the water in the 1st and 2nd levels is draining somewhere or something. Looks like the same thing's going on with a magma pipe draining into the magma sea, which in turn is draining off the left edge of the map. The massive amounts of flow are probably what's causing this.
EDIT2: Still haven't discovered where the magma's draining to, but I found some exposed ground-ish looking tiles in the magma sea called "magma flow". Being a noob, I don't know what that is.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:19:42 pm by SirAaronIII »
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Maximizing FPS?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:19:39 pm »

does the same thing happen on other sites?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:21:33 pm »

if there're water draining it's a definite site killer. Just embark somewhere else.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:30:57 pm »

or you could cheat with dfliquids and put some obsidian to block the water/magma draining.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:35:19 pm »

No, I think it's only on this site. I'll go check...
... and nope, it's only on that one spot.
Also, with the dfliquids obsidian, thing, I'd do that, but I'm too lazy. So, new embark spot time.
Anyway, back to the title: Anybody got any tips or tricks to help increase FPS?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:01:20 am »

Heard less cavern layers helps, cleaning the contaminants too, not have too much magma or water flowing. Also have as few dorfs as possible. I usually go with population cap of 100, but even there my fort slowly walk to a freezing, 0 fps death. Heard that in .40d some guys put openGL to use with DF, and that helped their fps to a good amount, but dunno if opengl is already in the DF2010.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 08:51:46 am »

World map size matters. Going from "smaller" (33x33) to "medium" (129x129) can easily halve your Fortress Mode FPS. Keep that in mind next time you gen a world.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 09:01:36 am »

You can use OpenGL with DF 2010 - just change PRINT_MODE in /data/init/init.txt from 2D to STANDARD or one of the other OpenGL modes.
IIRC DF2010 was designed with OpenGL from the outset though the default is to use the old 2D mode.

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:11:27 am »

[TEMPERATURE:NO]
[WEATHER:NO]
[ECONOMY:NO]
[INVADERS:NO]
[CAVEINS:NO]

[EMBARK_RECTANGLE:2:2]

[POPULATION_CAP:20]

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:0]

I forget the exact string but in world generation only have 1 layer of caverns instead of 4.

cage or kill every animal you can. all those cows, horses, and donkeys walking around generate pathfinding processes. also, bring only male cats. kill every female.

atom smash as much stone as you can.

DO NOT overproduce food/drink. you can make a lot of food/drink quickly and easily if you plan ahead.

do not embark anywhere with running water or magma!

create a bath at your entrances. just a trench with 3/7 water in it they have to walk through. this will wash contaminants like blood and vomit off your dorfs. then use the DFclean utility to erase them.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:34:12 am »

One problem I've had is just changing caverns from 3 to 1 scrunched everything up.  I've got 3 lqyers of soil; 3 layers of aquifer that blends into 4 layers of cavern, and RIGHT below that, the magma sea starts.  (15 layers of THAT, though...)

The aquifer is draining into the cavern, too... megaproject to handle that, I'm sure...

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 09:56:06 am »

you've probably got a bad world gen. I've been playing with 1 cavern layer since forever and it's nothing of that sorts.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Niseg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:40 am »

[TEMPERATURE:NO]
my small test indicate 25% fps gain from turning off temperature in my "advanced" game.
[WEATHER:NO]
haven't noticed a difference. I didn't test it on the long run.

[ECONOMY:NO]
I don't think it's turned on anyways.

[INVADERS:NO]
[CAVEINS:NO]
Turn off the fun  :(.
[EMBARK_RECTANGLE:2:2]
Takes getting used to for a newbie like me . I managed to get used to 3X3  . 31.19 is metal problematic so small embarks may be harder to gather desirable biomes (I could be wrong).
[POPULATION_CAP:20]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:0]
cage or kill every animal you can. all those cows, horses, and donkeys walking around generate pathfinding processes. also, bring only male cats. kill every female.
Less pathfinder is always good but it removes  some the "fun" (you can always find ways to fill your graveyards). I think caging helps but due to the game dynamics I haven't figured a test for that.

DO NOT overproduce food/drink. you can make a lot of food/drink quickly and easily if you plan ahead.
This seems to help but I'm unsure why -  could it be that anyone that's searching for something has to go through the entire map's inventory or something. 

do not embark anywhere with running water or magma!
I think that's correct flow isn't good for fps but I'm unsure how bad it is. I bet temperature calculation are heavier because the probably involve averaging which means division (the most processor intensive opp) and they are on a larger area than flow.

In my tests I also discovered that raw cpu speed is the main factor on how well the game run . I got a linear degradation of fps when lowering my cpu speed (it's overclocked from 2.4 to 3.3 GHz).  So getting a good single thread performing CPU and pushing it to the max may be desirable

other than that I haven't tried the openGL method I'm using 2dasync which loads another core.
Projects:Path finding simulator(thread) -A*,weighted A*(traffic zones), user set waypoints (path caching), automatic waypoint room navigation,no-cache room navigation.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 10:48:17 am »

other than that I haven't tried the openGL method I'm using 2dasync which loads another core.

2dasync uses more than one core to process the game/graphics?

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 02:09:43 pm »

This seems to help but I'm unsure why -  could it be that anyone that's searching for something has to go through the entire map's inventory or something. 

That's exactly why. How else would you program dwarves to find stuff? More stuff, longer time to look for stuff.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:57 pm »

World map size matters. Going from "smaller" (33x33) to "medium" (129x129) can easily halve your Fortress Mode FPS. Keep that in mind next time you gen a world.

Wait wait wait, a bigger world means less FPS?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye
Pages: [1] 2 3 4