Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground Caps Invasion *Minor Spoilers*  (Read 3046 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground Caps Invasion *Minor Spoilers*
« on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:42 pm »

Okay, back in my old fort before it died a slow fps death when I breached the circus, there where 3 layers of caves. Time passed and the caves became impassable, as the caps growed almost everywhere on the cave mud, trapping megabeasts, critters and not allowing my dorfs to do anything besides cutting wood. As there was a bug with dumping and I didn't want to micro manage the mass dumping, I build a walled highway, took time and stone, but the outside was still filled with all plants and things. I tried flooding it with magma to remove the mud, but it was too time consuming. Any ideias as how to remove the mud and make the caves passable to my dorfs without involving periodical mass tree cuttings?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Caps Invasion *Minor Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 03:43:50 pm »

Paved roads.

I mean, it's not like it's a bad thing to have a shit ton of trees, you just need to construct roads there and there so that they don't end up preventing traffic.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:50:41 pm »

Or you could flood a part with magma once you burn away the mud trees won't be able to grow without the mud problem solved. Alternatifly you could smooth a large part of the cave (about as much work as paving depending on stone positions and dwarven skill).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »

Trees grow on smoothed and/or engraved floors, which is why plumbing systems get clogged so often.  Paved roads is the easiest way to purge them.  Personally, in one of my few forts that had plumbing, I enjoyed it.  Every winter I'd shut off the pumps, deforest the sewer, smooth it all over again, and then turn it back on.  I even had a few handy sewer-related statues, like the goddess of fortresses laughing, and elves being struck down.  Not that this actually reflected the sewers themselves, but everyone loves a dead elf.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:19:14 pm »

Too many trees and your not considering mass deforestation... I'd call you an elf if not for your idea on flooding it with magma.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:31:54 pm »

Eh, why ruin your limitless supply of wood with magma anyway?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:42:16 pm »

My highway was stone paved, and I threw magma but the caps didn't let the magma flow. And killed my fps, and destroyed underground lakes. Paving everything is too much time consuming, as my dorfs spend a lot of time in parallel activities and I have to dettach a squad to prevent the working dorfs from geting teared apart by cavemen.

Paved roads.

I mean, it's not like it's a bad thing to have a shit ton of trees, you just need to construct roads there and there so that they don't end up preventing traffic.
Oh yeah, it's bad since the megabeasts become trapped and I lose all my syndrome bearing fire spitting oozing FUN.

Too many trees and your not considering mass deforestation... I'd call you an elf if not for your idea on flooding it with magma.
You insult me, kind sir. I just respect all forms of life equally and I love them al- OH SHIT

I mass deforested once, one year later it have more trees than a elf house. And I don't have the place to put all this wood.

Eh, why ruin your limitless supply of wood with magma anyway?

Is way too much wood. I just use it for steel and barrels, as I have beds for every dorf and I dont need more barrels right now.

I guess the solution will be deforest everything, flood with magma and just leave a few clusters with mud so they become some dense forests, to have some wood stock. Dunno, the cave's being a HUGE forest doesn't seems right.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 06:45:38 pm »

Build some cave-in traps for trolls and other nasty sieges.  A support, with some walls above it.  You can make this into a thick block, 3x3x3, and consume 27 wood + 1 mechanism, to make a death trap, although 9 of that wood will be recovered after the cave-in.

Alternatively, build something.  Colored wood is fun to build with, or you can make it all charcoal and build in shades of gray.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:41 pm »

I propose you make it all into soap. Then make a road out of soap.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:51:06 pm »

Yes, but it's not like the wood in trees is a huge FPS killer, you can't really have too much in that sense.

And any other negatives you can easily makes. For example, you could make a path with the road to all the open edges in the cavern so that anything that arrives won't find itself stuck in trees (and blocking some of the edges with walls if necessary). There aren't usually that many potentially entries underground, and honestly, paving is not that slow.

Aesthetics I call your problem =P

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »

Trees don't grow on stockpiles, designate the areas you want cleared as stockpiles with nothing allowed and problem solved (for flavor you can make literal roads of milk and honey with correct stockpile assignments)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 07:15:40 pm »

Just cut everything down and smooth the whole thing.

Trees grow on smoothed and/or engraved floors, which is why plumbing systems get clogged so often.

They grow on muddied smooth and/or engraved floors. Without flooding, there is no mud. Without mud, there are no treeshrooms.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:16:07 pm »

I am pretty sure I have seen saplings grow in a stockpile. Don't know if the stockpile keeps them from maturing.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »

Trees cannot grow on roads, unmuddy stone tiles, or on constructed floors.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 07:36:52 pm »

I wonder, will this kind of stuff happen aboveground? I never actually tried that...
Pages: [1] 2