Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fighting Giant Monsters  (Read 2198 times)

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fighting Giant Monsters
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:27:38 pm »

Trolls, Cyclopes', Dragons, Hydras - even basic night beasts can make lunch out of seasoned adventurers, so here are some tips for fighting them:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Soloing a giant monster is far, far more dangerous, and should only be attempted by legendary warriors with an action speed of 1300+. Even then there's a fair bit of luck involved. The greatest danger by far with most of them is simply being charged and knocked down, at which point you are in serious trouble. You could just get splatted or chomped by a lucky strike, but your armor and other defenses will at least help with those - knockdown is the most common first step on the short road to death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:31:00 pm by Vastin »

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Giant Monsters
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:27 pm »

I have a few suggestions to make (note:  I've only played 31.18, so I don't know about .19's changes).

First, although spears are very good for killing large monsters (especially if they have scales), swords are just as good at penetrating and killing them, and are more versatile.  Slashing weapons usually don't penetrate the skin, and bashing weapons take a really long time to be fatal if you can't get a headshot.

Hydras can easily be taken down with repeated stabs to the upper body.  Every time I've ever stabbed a creature in the heart, from groundhogs to fully-grown dragons, it has bled to death.  Hydras are very good at tearing off limbs with their bite attack, so it's a good idea to cripple them quickly.

With enemies that feel pain (dragons, giants, not night creatures or hydras) you can easily cripple them by throwing crossbow bolts and arrows.  I've found that they have about a 50/50 chance of chipping a bone, which almost always leads to unconsciousness within 10 turns.

Dragonfire is completely harmless if you have a shield and at least high master shield skill.  I've never been burned by dragonfire when I've had a shield, but without one I'm always somewhere between toast and charcoal.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:36 am »

I just got 2 livers, four hearts and 4 lungs out of a hydra. So yes, they do have vital organs to hurt. They just have more than you'll ever damage.

Also, think you for these guides, these things are helpful beyond belief.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:55:01 am »

Actually, hydras have normal organs. You've gotten "more than one of each" because they're so large one is split up into several portions.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:19:28 pm »

A interesting thing I learned today that could come in handy is if a creature grabs you with its hands, either break one of its bones or damage a sensory nerve and it should let go.
Blargh.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:57:42 pm »

A interesting thing I learned today that could come in handy is if a creature grabs you with its hands, either break one of its bones or damage a sensory nerve and it should let go.

Yeah, whenever I have a follower who has been grappled I'll try to figure out if there's some way to land a strike that will free him. They last a bit longer that way.

Also, if the monster gets the chance to shake while grappling I'm gonna get follower blood all over me, which is gross.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:06:56 am »

Huh. I've actually been having an easy time slaying Giants and Hydras. Killed the Hydra by separating it from its lower body with my =Steel Short Sword=, after sneaking up to 3 squares away from it and throwing silver arrows to weaken it first.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:07 am »

Legendary +5 archers still take 50000 steps before being able to act again or they get almost normal "cooldown" times after attacking?

or throwing honey bees > any other ranged attack?

using bolts and arrows on dragons seens a bad idea if it gets 3400 free turns to burn you to death

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:16:45 pm »

There's still a speed delay when using heavy armor I have noticed for archers. But like hell are we ever wearing anything but plate.

Also when fighting giant creatures, does attacking the feet specifically also work for dropping them permanently to the ground, or do we have to kneecap them?

Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:43:24 pm »

As far as I know there's a roughly 5000-6000 action delay on firing any bow or crossbow, regardless of what you are wearing? Probably 12000 from stealth... :P

Throwing has a much less significant action penalty, seems to be about the same as melee.

Throwing is just kinda broken in most respects. Really serious hit difficulty unless you have very high skill - and its damage calculation is completely borked.

As far as I can tell from reading posts and my own experiments, it's probably ganked in much the same way as 'glass weapons' were broken in fortress mode for a while - some key component of the damage calculation ends up uninitialized, so the thrown object ends up doing 0<->MAXINT damage if it hits. Sometimes it bounces off of cloth, and sometimes it ends up hitting with the effective mass of an aircraft carrier. YMMV, to say the least.

kuromori

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 04:54:07 pm »

As far as I know there's a roughly 5000-6000 action delay on firing any bow or crossbow, regardless of what you are wearing? Probably 12000 from stealth... :P

Throwing has a much less significant action penalty, seems to be about the same as melee.

Throwing is just kinda broken in most respects. Really serious hit difficulty unless you have very high skill - and its damage calculation is completely borked.

As far as I can tell from reading posts and my own experiments, it's probably ganked in much the same way as 'glass weapons' were broken in fortress mode for a while - some key component of the damage calculation ends up uninitialized, so the thrown object ends up doing 0<->MAXINT damage if it hits. Sometimes it bounces off of cloth, and sometimes it ends up hitting with the effective mass of an aircraft carrier. YMMV, to say the least.
Hi, forgot to do this a while ago, but this deserves a sig. This is also my first post lol -_-
Sometimes it bounces off of cloth, and sometimes it ends up hitting with the effective mass of an aircraft carrier. YMMV, to say the least.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 04:41:04 am »

Instead of headshot, aim for the throat and run!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:37 pm »

rember that wounds add up now, so loads of weak blows can sever body parts.
blood loss the one better ways to kill large monsters 3 to five open arteys then run a way.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG