Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two little things, seeing dwarf targets and strange mood tweak.  (Read 681 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two little things, seeing dwarf targets and strange mood tweak.
« on: February 27, 2011, 01:22:35 am »

Ok first, seeing dwarf targets.  Dwarfs have a tendency to spam about not being able to get thins they want, the area being inaccesible or an object blocking or what have you.  I would really appreciate being able to zoom to the blocking or inaccessible object from the announcements screen, currently this zooms me to wherever the dwarf was when he decided to cancel the task instead.

The strange mood tweak is a bit more extreme, but something I think people would appreciate that also, IMO more accurately reflects the inspiration or strange moods.  In folklore, especially Scandinavian folklore and also in many fantasy stories dwarves make legendary items, this is what the strange moods were put in to emulate in my understanding.  However, in folklore the items that they make are usually, although not always, weapons.  I think if strange moods were weighted toward making weapons it would make them something more appreciated by players as well as keeping them closer to their inspiration.  The occasional legendary hatch cover or whatever is fine, but currently it seems that most strange moods lead to a craft of some sort, or a decoration, while in the inspiring stories it was usually legendary swords, sometimes shields, and so forth.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Two little things, seeing dwarf targets and strange mood tweak.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:26:44 am »

Well, the thing about strange moods in real life is that when a sword was made, it was oftern used to mass slaughter an entire village. So legendary weapons were talked about. When a legendary hatch cover was made, people would notice it and say to themselves "Golly gosh! That is a nice hatch cover! I wish I had made it." and that would be the end of it.

In real life, 95% of all artifacts are toy boats, but they never get talked about. So I think the current mood system works well.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27:33 am »

1  the computer doesn't know whats blocking it.  It just knows there's no way to get there from here.

2  long term non-weapon artifacts will be more interesting.

Lungfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:04:32 am »

1  The computer doesn't know what's blocking it, but might it know the path it was attempting? A "show attempted path" would help trace your way to what's blocking the way.

2  Artifacts are rad regardless of what they are, IMO - they add value to your fortress and sometimes boost dwarf skills. A lot of legendary weapons might overpower a dwarven army (unfun). Also, the rarity of artifact weapons will make finding them in Adventure Mode more exciting.

On the subject of artifacts, it would be cool if they were more sought after by thieves or evil adventurers. The theft of an artifact should be a devastating loss to general moral and drive the creator insane, prompting the player to add an extra layer of protection for the artifacts.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:12:41 am »

1  The computer doesn't know what's blocking it, but might it know the path it was attempting? A "show attempted path" would help trace your way to what's blocking the way.

No, it doesn't know that either.  It has a list of all the points it CAN get to.  Maybe there's the previous cached path that could show you what changed to make it recalculate.  Maybe