Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What film shall I watch......  (Read 4592 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What film shall I watch......
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:46:34 pm »

I'm a big film lover, specifically scifi but more generally I like pretty much everything made around the 80's. Some earlier films I like, such as War of the Worlds (1957?) and several others. The day the world ended?(I think is the name) an early sci-fi I liked. It was remade with keanu reeves recently I think, but I haven't seen that one. I'm not a fan of remakes, they nearly always don't even begin to pay homage to the original.

I also like history, Tora Tora Tora, Patton etc that type(realistic).

Sometimes I like some random action films, as a break pretty much, Commando being the best.

Aliens, Predator, are my overall favorites, but i'm not ready to revisit them yet  :P

All ideas welcome!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:45:00 am by Deadmeat1471 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What film shall I watch......
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:48:05 pm »

It may not be "realistic" but The Dirty Dozen is one of the few war movies from the 70s that doesn't put me to sleep. All star cast (Charles Bronson, fuck yeah), well written characters and a decent climax.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:48:59 pm »

It may not be "realistic" but The Dirty Dozen is one of the few war movies from the 70s that doesn't put me to sleep. All star cast (Charles Bronson, fuck yeah), well written characters and a decent climax.

Hmm haven't seen that, I may have to dig it up!!

*It seems to be a similar type of film as 'The guns of Navarone', I read the book of than once and watched the film much later, it's pretty good for similar reasons.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:53:26 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:01:16 pm »

How about Mercenary Fighters?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093525/

It's a war film that pretty much defines the 80's, and if you can get your grubby hands on it, good luck.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »

Stalingrad.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:02:52 pm »

The Guns are dead serious, the DD not so much. Still, a classic.

If you're into that 70-80s sf kind of movies, then I can recommend a few.
It was the time of dystopia flicks, it seems:

Rollerball(~1974?) - One of my favourites from the period. Corporate totalitarian regime rules the whole world using the "bread and circuses" approach. Rollerball is a sport that fills the role of "circuses" here. The story follows one player, who begins to realize the extent to which the society have given up it's liberties.
Can't say it's less fitting a commentary on a society now, than it was back then.
Don't mistake this one with the 2000-ish remake starring Jean Reno, and being generally terrible in every respect.

Soilent Green - Now, that's a classic. A rather simple story, and the twist is of the M.Night Shamalayan(or whatever his surname is) variety, but you can't really call yourself a sf film buff if you haven't seen it.
It's the future(that is, 1999 or something ;) ), and the world can't sustain the exponentially growing populace. There is some algae-based food substitute rationed to everybody everywhere, and our hero is on track of some weird conspiracy involving the panglobal company producing the stuff(soilent green it's called).

Logan's Run - I remember only bits and pieces. A man awakes from a cryosleep, or something, to find himself in a society where everybody is young and beautiful. To be exact, everybody is younger than 30, and he soon finds out why. (not really a spoiler: they're offed afterwards)

Planet of Apes - What can I say. Forget the not-so-recent remake and see the real thing. A really good SF movie. Minimalistic, and not dumb, which is pretty much the oposite of the remake.

Death Race 2000 - Have you played Carmageddon? If yes, then you'll find out that the game was borrowing ideas(and even designs) from this movie like crazy. If not, then you'll find here a zany, half-serious bastard child of Mad Max and Wacky Races.

A Boy and his Dog - This one, in turn, is one of the major influences for Fallout. If you're a fan of the game, it's a must see.

I'm pretty sure that you must've seen Blade Runner, else you wouldn't call yourself a SF film lover, so I'm not going to try and sell it to you.

For the realistic-historical ones, try:
Stalingrad(1992) - the best (anti)war movie ever made period. The film follows a bunch of German soldiers, from when they are being shipped to join von Paulus' army, to the bitter end of said army.

Other good war/antiwar movies: Platoon, FMJ, Cross of Iron, Empire of the Sun, Grave of the Fireflies(animated).
Also, I recommend early Marlon Brando movies concerning the IIWW, like e.g."Young Lions". It's almost strange to see Germans portrayed simply as enemies, and not as faceless monsters of today's variety(cough, Private Ryan, cough).

There's this one film concerning reneissance era, which could be treated as historical, due to the amount of detail and thought that went into recreating people's mentality in that period. It's called "Flesh and Blood", starring Rutger Hauer, among others. The story concerns a band of mercenaries somewhere in Italy, as they are betrayed by their employer, and seek revenge. And how it bites them in the arse.

Too bad you haven't decided to post in the last thread about movies instead, as it'd be generally better, IMO, to contain all such things in one place.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 07:36:55 pm »

A Boy and his Dog - This one, in turn, is one of the major influences for Fallout. If you're a fan of the game, it's a must see.
It also has the most hilarious ending.

Solaris [1972] is must-see for any scifi fan, really. But if you can't deal with the Russian Soderbergh did a more recent version with George Clooney (2004 about?).

And speaking of Blade Runner, Linklater's A Scanner Darkly [2006] is probably the best adaptation of a Philip K Dick novel.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 02:40:13 am »

Palazzo gets points for giving several a shitload of excellent ideas!

'The Guns are dead serious, the DD not so much. Still, a classic.' - Oh didn't know this.

Rollerball - Sounds epic and I've never even heard of it.
Soilent Green - Never even heard of it but it sounds equally as good.
Logan's Run - Seen it, like it, not much more can say here.
Planet of Apes - Watched this again recently, I hadn't seen it since I was a child. I was surprised how good it was. It's one of the few films I thought were good as a child, that got better on rewatching as an adult.
Death Race 2000 - Sounds amusing, heard of Carmageddon but haven't played.
Blade Runner - I never liked this for a long time, but recently it really seemed to grow on me. The whole environment of the film is brilliant.
Stalingrad - Also seen, also up there with my favorite war movies, a good choice here I think!
Platoon, FMJ, Cross of Iron, Empire of the Sun, Grave of the Fireflies - Seen, Hate, Not, Not, Not seen. I'll have to take a look at these.
Young Lions - Sounds like a must see.
Flesh and Blood - This sounds awesome, and a part of history scarcely shown in films.
'Too bad you haven't decided to post in' - Didn't see it, and this was just a call on ideas not a discussion!

fqllve

A Scanner Darkly - I have seen once, but I wasn't paying attention, it may be good to have a re-look at this one!
Solaris - I never heard about, only the Cloony version, which I avoided like the plague :D. I don't mind foreign films at all, I prefer foreign films in their native language with subtitles, makes it more real.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:43:37 am by Deadmeat1471 »

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 03:07:22 am »

The Green Mile.
8 Mile just for something to watch.
If you want to see the art of the scumbag at its best watch 'Dorian Gray'. On another note, that was made from the most homoerotic book I have ever had the misfortune of partly reading. Good thing the movie is nothing like that.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:51:27 am »

The Green Mile.
8 Mile just for something to watch.
If you want to see the art of the scumbag at its best watch 'Dorian Gray'. On another note, that was made from the most homoerotic book I have ever had the misfortune of partly reading. Good thing the movie is nothing like that.

Green Mile - Like it, somewhat, not enough to watch again.
8 Mile - sucks, it's a sob story about rappers.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 03:56:25 am »

Moon is the best sci fi movie produced in the last 10 years. Period.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 04:34:55 am »

Scott pilgrim Vs the world, Juno, and Kickass were all great movies that did well in trying to show young adults as young adults.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 04:50:56 am »

*It seems to be a similar type of film as 'The guns of Navarone', I read the book of than once and watched the film much later, it's pretty good for similar reasons.

I was _this_ close to mentioning Guns of Navarone, but it's sort of an example of the kind of war movies that I *snore* through.

The somewhat cheeky nature of The DD kept it watchable for me, up until the part where it gets real good.

And seriously, Bronson. I'll recommend "The Mechanic" (I think is what it's called.) Just another in a line of Bronson Hit-man/Asskicker movies, but unlike Deathwish ect.... it's probably one of the better written/directed/performed ones.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 02:21:58 pm »

Stalingrad.

In a similar vein, Das Boot. The extended director's cut version.

Moon is the best sci fi movie produced in the last 10 years. Period.
Agreed. The short film on the DVD was good too.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »

If you like a good series, The Pacific is incredible. It's a sort of sequel to Bands of Brothers, which I hear (I've yet to see it) is also great.
Pages: [1] 2 3