Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Confessions of a DF player.  (Read 13135 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confessions of a DF player.
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:39:21 pm »

So, what are some major quirks about your fortress?

I don't have any...

Yet.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions of a DF player.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:51:47 pm »

The rotting corpses and skeletons of every elven merchant that has ever come to my fort adorn the top of my front gate and walls.
Ancient Avatar

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:08:07 pm »

I absolutely can't stand having up/down stairs when they don't actually go both ways.

I take a lot of time to ensure that, even in my exploratory mining shafts, all stairs that go only up or only down are <'s or >'s.

That's not very interesting.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:12:21 pm »

My dwarves butcher sentients. 90% of my artifacts are usually made out of leather due to having so many kitchen staff on cleanup after a siege and tanning huge amounts of goblin leather. Of those, about 40-50% are made of some kind of sentient creature.

I also got a skirt made of chicken feathers once. And a cloak made from giant ant carapace. That one in particular I thought was pretty impressive.
くコ:彡

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:51 pm »

Because my entrance is 40z above my main fortress, in a permanently frozen tundra, it's littered with frozen corpses that my dwarves are too lazy to dump.

Here's a real confession - one time during a tantrum spiral (riot), I got sick of the chaos and issued my guards masterwork steel axes. I figured the riot was going to kill almost everyone eventually anyway, so I might as well hurry up the process.

Also, the local delicacy is kitten meat scones, but on this forum that's nothing special.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 06:14:28 pm »

I always remove ramps all around the entrance to my fort.  Not really sure why, but I always do.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:21:06 pm »

Secretly, ashamedly, I love building above ground, and rarely dig down to the magma.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »

Magma in the first season of embark, magma workshops up in the summer. Living quarters nested between the caverns.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 08:04:29 pm »

I...am always slow to develop a metal industry. I carefully segregate and protect my high-skill metal-oriented immigrants.

But I wall off the world, deploy a million cage projects, and build pump projects long before building the forges and smelting the ore.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:12:23 pm »

I have a crippling obsession with cavern exploration. If the first level of caverns contained 50 troglodytes that killed half my fortress, I'd order the survivors to dig down to the next level. Many forts have died this way.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 08:16:39 pm »

I don't kill the elves that come to trade.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »

Ive had 20+ fortresses... never seen magma...

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:15:18 pm »

I am building a gigantic olivine temple dedicated to the storage of chained macaques.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 10:10:37 pm »

There are at least two death traps on every floor.  The good dwarves are never told to go operate one.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 10:45:47 pm »

I always remove ramps all around the entrance to my fort.  Not really sure why, but I always do.

I do that as well, mostly because of the fact I hate when damn archers get above my gates and fire down. Might be instinctive for you to do it as well, it is something I know that I picked up early.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10