Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Questions on toilet megaproject  (Read 1829 times)

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Questions on toilet megaproject
« on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:05 pm »

So, I want to do a toilet megaproject. This will involve having a functional water closet for both magma and water, a "plunger switch" for flushing the toilet to kill seiges, a simulated floater to keep the water from overflowing, and a cover and the thingy underneath it.

First question is:  should I do this in .18 or .19? I want to make this as authentic as possible (i.e., use porcelian), but I don't know whether it's a large benefit or not.

2) How would I simulate a floater? Should I use a series of pressure plates that engage at certain levels of water? If so, would they reset once the water receded?

3) Should I make a pressure-chamber right behind the areas that the water would flow out of to speed the process?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on toilet megaproject
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:42:52 pm »

Make an above-ground reservoir, fed by pump stacks from below.  In this enormous reservoir, build a narrow tower (obsidian, since all floaters I've seen are black) and atop this tower, make a small "bulb" perhaps with fortifications to let water into the bulb.  Within this (or on top, depending on your goal) you add a pressure plate that is triggered by water.  This plate is linked to your windmills/waterwheels, so that it cuts off power to the pumps when it's triggered (disengages the gear assembly, wiki it if neesed).  This will cause water to fill up to that level only, and when you Flush, it'll drain out and allow the pressure plate to reactivate, which pulled in more water from below.

The issue then, is how to stop the flush, other than manual lever-pulling?  You'd probably need a pressure plate set for 7/7 water at the bottom of the reservoir, or, something...  I'm not sure.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:11:20 pm »

I dunno. Just capture seigers and flush them.

You do now how happy that would make me, right?

sharpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:08:48 am »

Make sure to accommodate upper-deckers.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:16:18 am »

you will need a drain/sewer for the flushed water to drain into, you could put a pressure plate to stop the flushing down there at a certain height that would only be reached whenever5 you flush, or you could try using something closer to what a real toilet uses.
Edit: a real toilet uses the floater to stop the flush and the refill the reservoir  , maybe put a pressure plate at the bottom of your obsidian tower(maybe 1 level up)  that activates on 0/7 water
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:18:43 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 02:15:18 am »

I'm tempted to make a megaproject of a dwarf urinating now.

..I don't know, because I can.

Wait until 31.20 when some bugs get fixed.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 03:32:21 am »

This is the main thing I love about DF!

Someone states they want to build their fortress in the image of a functioning, giant toilet, and all the posts have serious advice and admiration.

Make sure you take pictures, and post them here.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 03:42:03 am »

Water pushing creatures is wonky and not very effective.
Magma flood is too fast.

I suggest lightly splashing them with magma, wait until they are finished crawling around and bleeding to death, and flush that shit out to a bauxite grate. Then magma the grate, melting all but good metals. Then flush the metals to your smelters.

Bonus points if you automate it.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:21:19 am »

make a pressure plate that triggers at 7/7 water min that is attached to a floor hatch to prevent overflowing
Code: [Select]
OHOOOOOOO    top
OPPPPPPPO
OEEEEEEEO
OEEEEEEEE
OOOOOOOOO    bottom

P=pressure plate
E=empty space
O=wall
H=floor hatch
LOSING IS FUN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 04:25:19 am »

You just drew that so you could write
P
E
E

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 05:28:21 am »

I'm tempted to make a megaproject of a dwarf urinating now.

..I don't know, because I can.

Wait until 31.20 when some bugs get fixed.

Someone already did :P 70z levels tall, holds 300 dwarves.  It pees and drinks beer.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 07:09:45 am »

Someone would have to find a way to combine the 2 once this is done. Or he could build his own megadwarf to accompany the toilet. Either way, good luck to you.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 07:44:49 am »

2) How would I simulate a floater? Should I use a series of pressure plates that engage at certain levels of water? If so, would they reset once the water receded?
I believe your reservoir should be several (lots of) z-levels hight, drop a deer in it and make exit at top level, place pressure plate stopping filling there. Deer have innate swimming so they won't drown, I had one chilling out in ocean for years though, so I can't tell for sure they'll try to escape. Try other animals as well.
 As for series of plates, they send a signal (toggle for bridges and flood gates, open for a short time for doors and hatches) every time their condition is fulfilled. If you make them react at water, you'll have to find a way how to make them ignore wandering tiles of other level (6/7 in crowd of 7/7's for example)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 07:54:02 am »

Perhaps I could use several interlinked Pressure Plates...

In any case, I have almost enough info to start up now. But, the preliminary (read: Several sheets of graphing paper) tests show much complexity, so it may just be a big basin with a wierd drain, and an aboveground water closet.

Can you use porclean in constructions?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 07:57:29 am »

Perhaps I could use several interlinked Pressure Plates...

In any case, I have almost enough info to start up now. But, the preliminary (read: Several sheets of graphing paper) tests show much complexity, so it may just be a big basin with a wierd drain, and an aboveground water closet.

Can you use porclean in constructions?

I don't think, but it's easy to mod it to be.
Pages: [1] 2