Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No seeds are wine available for embark  (Read 1618 times)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No seeds are wine available for embark
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:17:19 pm »

So I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find anything.

I'm using Lazy Newb Pack v7.0 (with DF 0.31.18). I made a world with PerfectWorldDF and when I go to embark, the embark screen won't allow me to bring seeds or wine with me. The options just aren't there. Is this due to the world I created, the specific embark site, or what?

I've only just started playing recently (this will be my second fortress) so I'd be grateful if someone could point out what I'm doing wrong.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: No seeds are wine available for embark
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:20:05 pm »

You have a world with no caverns. You have to have at least one layer of caverns to get underground plants.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:26:05 pm »

You have a world with no caverns. You have to have at least one layer of caverns to get underground plants.
Not entirely. It means the chosen embark civilization doesn't have access to caverns for some reason. I ran into a similar issue with an embark and on further investigation all the other Dwarf civs on the map had underground booze except the one I had randomly been stuck with.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:28:08 pm »

Hmm, interesting. I never really thought of that. I'll have to do some more !!SCIENCE!! in the caverns.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:41:37 pm »

I see. I must have turned off caverns somehow. I'll have to regen the world I suppose. Thanks for the quick response. World generation seems like more of an art than a science. I have a feeling it will take me awhile before I get something I'm truly pleased with.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:15:52 pm »

If you're just beginning to learn to play I'd just create a generic medium-sized easy world with all five or whatever (savagery, etc) parameters set to medium. Once you have basic survival figured out in a simple location with water, trees, and decent stone then you'll want to try stuff like Terrifying glaciers with volcanoes and other bizarre stuff that you basically need advanced world creation to get.

So basically I feel like advanced world generation is somewhat pointless unless you're really going after something specific, which usually involves extreme conditions that are significantly harder to survive in.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:25:14 pm »

I got a civilization with no sunderground seeds, and no booze. My solution was to gather plants aboveground, and farm aboveground till ready to go into caverns. My first cavern had plump helmets, that my plant gatherer could harvest, so I imagine other underground plants can be harvested in the caverns too.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:33:32 pm »

Well I was trying to make a deeper world (z-levels). I played Bentgirders (sp?) tutorial and the world seemed rather shallow. So then I thought I'd make my own world... and one thing led to another and somehow I ended up with PerfectWorld DF. World generation seems like another game entirely. It's been kind of addicting figuring it all out. Still, I suppose I should get a greater grasp of what I actually need before creating any crazy worlds of my own.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »

One trick (that I haven't tested in .19 and may no longer work) is to mine away the ceiling of your top layer. This causes the exposed terrain to be above ground for purposes of farming. You can then farm aboveground plants on any farm plots in this pit, even if you later roof it over once more.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 06:12:21 pm »

That does still work, btw.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 08:39:25 pm »

One trick (that I haven't tested in .19 and may no longer work) is to mine away the ceiling of your top layer. This causes the exposed terrain to be above ground for purposes of farming. You can then farm aboveground plants on any farm plots in this pit, even if you later roof it over once more.

Thats a good idea and much faster than what I usually do which is build a square wall around a garden that's entered from underground (no exterior gate). You could also probably just dig out a dry moat around an area that can only be accessed from an underground stairway.

Don't forget that digging dry moats is usually as effective as a wall and it's MUCH faster to dig a dry moat than build a wall. Also don't forget d z (remove up ramps) down in the moat. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Hmm... dry moats may actually be better than "wet" ones because swimming things should be able to swim over wet moats, but it should (?) take a flying creature to get over or maybe a giant toad that can jump...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »

That's true, amphibious or swimming creatures will ignore your wet moat, unless your wall is up against the moat itself.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:03:39 pm »

what I usually do which is build a square wall around a garden that's entered from underground (no exterior gate)

I use to do this as well but once a goblin archer ambush spawned inside my garden somehow.  Several Dwarves died initially and many militia members during the assault down the long 2-wide corridor to reclaim the farms.

Since that day, i haven't done a single aboveground farm.  I miss strawberries : /
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:13:51 pm »

If they're spawning in your walls, there's a breach somewhere, probably some diagonal.  All goblins spawn at the map edge.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »

If they're spawning in your walls, there's a breach somewhere, probably some diagonal.  All goblins spawn at the map edge.

Goblins *seem* to spawn out of nowhere during ambushes, but I'm assuming that they have to just spawn invisibly at the edge of the map and invisibly move to the ambush site. I haven't had anything "spawn" inside any 10x10 walled in areas but maybe I've just been lucky. Then again I usually cover half the area with farm plots, then place a statue in the garden and make the whole thing into a statue garden so perhaps the fact that the whole thing is a "room" stops them from being able to teleport in?

It is worth noting though that dry moats won't stop arrows like walls will, and neither will being down in a pit. Perhaps next time I do this I'll dig out a big one z-level pit and put the wall around the edge on the level above....