Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: My Daughter's Name For Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24407 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: My Daughter's Name For Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2011, 05:25:27 pm »

Nobody I know plays it, and I don't talk about it much any more. Any mention of it is inevitably met with "I don't care."
くコ:彡

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2011, 07:19:54 pm »

i have a tendency to babble when bad things in game happen or talk to my dwarfs.

my famaly is momentaraly confused when this happens.

then they remember what i'm playing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:32:43 pm by uber pye »
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2011, 08:11:57 pm »

I often regale my friends and family with tales of events from the game. So far, no one has seen fit to come up with a nickname for it, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

blaize9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blaizecraft
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:39 pm »

None of my friends know I even play.
As a 16 year old I don't think I'd get much respect for playing DF.
WHAT!@#$!@# im almost 17 years old and when i show people the game with a nice looking tile set they are like where do i start lol

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2011, 09:22:21 pm »

There is a very good reason to kill every crundle on the map: Crundles are assholes.

They inevitably make my dwarves fall down stairs and break various limbs.  Assholes.
I'm going to go make a SBaHJ edit of this. Because mixing DF physics and Sburb can't end anything but well.

E:
Spoiler: WAPBAM (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:52:03 pm by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2011, 10:39:37 pm »

dude

why
くコ:彡

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2011, 11:40:47 pm »

Because Karne is awesome.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2011, 12:40:50 am »

My nephew doesn't know it's a game, since I told him it's work so he'd quit trying to take it from me.  He just keeps telling me to play a game when I play DF now.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »

There is a very good reason to kill every crundle on the map: Crundles are assholes.

They inevitably make my dwarves fall down stairs and break various limbs.  Assholes.
I'm going to go make a SBaHJ edit of this. Because mixing DF physics and Sburb can't end anything but well.

E:
Spoiler: WAPBAM (click to show/hide)

I don't get the refence but it still cracks me up.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2011, 05:40:44 pm »

My wife thinks the game is interesting, but has a very low opinion of her own intelligence, which causes her to give up on anything as soon as it seems complicated.  She demanded that I teach it to her once, but she was in a pretty psycho mood at the time and it didn't go very well.  She ended up telling me "Just tell me when they turn this into a real fucking game."  Since then she'll just comment when she catches a glimpse of it something like "I wish that game wasn't so complicated.  I'd really love to try it out."

My 6 year old son begs me to teach it to him, but it's just too agonizing yet since he doesn't read good.  I just tell him to practice reading and pay attention in school if he wants to play.

I have various friends who have shown some interest, but are too busy with Minecraft to take the time to give it a serious look.  I have a couple others who just like to hear the stories, but admit they'll never bother trying it themselves.

My younger brother used to frequent here years ago, and is the one who originally recommended the game to me.  We've both been playing roguelikes since the mid-90's.  It took Boatmurdered to finally get me to take the plunge, though.

No one I know has ever referred to the game with an amusing or stupid name.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2011, 05:51:42 pm »

I have various friends who have shown some interest, but are too busy with Minecraft to take the time to give it a serious look.  I have a couple others who just like to hear the stories, but admit they'll never bother trying it themselves.
All things considered, this isn't so bad.

Also:
My 6 year old son begs me to teach it to him, but it's just too agonizing yet since he doesn't read good.  I just tell him to practice reading and pay attention in school if he wants to play.
This either makes you a terrible parent, or a great one.  It's sort of a gray area where morality is obscured.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2011, 06:37:24 pm »

All things considered, this isn't so bad.

No, it's really not.

This either makes you a terrible parent, or a great one.  It's sort of a gray area where morality is obscured.

I've really tried.  I've devoted several hours to it.  He just... needs to be able to read.  All I could do was dictate the game to him, telling him exactly what keys to press and reading off every line of text.  He's only halfway through kindergarten, and can sound out words very slowly.  I'm sure he'll be playing DF within a couple years.  I started playing Nethack when I was 9.  He has ample opportunity to do better.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2011, 06:40:29 pm »

I usually say that a game requires more 'Toady tlc' when I really don't like it. Or 'moar ASCII plox'
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2011, 06:50:02 pm »

Eh I've showed it to a few friends and they just stare blankly at a screen for a few minutes before asking what they where looking at.

It's a bit annoying though when im reading through the forums and start bursting out laughing and other people ask what the hells so funny and dont understand....:(
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2011, 07:23:15 pm »

I started playing Nethack when I was 9.  He has ample opportunity to do better.

"Son, I had ascended three times as a freakin' tourist by the time I was your age. I am disappoint. Now go to your room and don't come back  out until you're the Hand of your deity and have a -30 or better armor class."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13