Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Plans for the winter of 1943

Операция "Ой морозь морозь" - Maintain a high operational tempo through the winter, attacking weak points as able
- 6 (60%)
Операция "Не морозь меня" - Slow things down, making a few major and considered attacks without wasting strength
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37

Author Topic: Arsenal of Democracy LP (1 October, 1944: Vperyod!)  (Read 95086 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2011, 01:23:39 pm »

So, before I get down to a bit of playing today, industry and research. Certainly, these are important parts of any world conqueror's planning.

Industry first. It's not just the number of factories you have, although that's an important factor. That number (your base IC) is modified by factors like your overall industrial efficiency (an increase in industrial efficiency means that 10 factories' worth of base IC makes 10 + (IndEff% * 10) effective IC), the ministers you've chosen, the positions of your government's sliders, and the policies and government type of your nation as a whole. The USSR is blessed with self-sufficiency: it has enough in the way of resources to support a very large amount of industrial capacity without having to trade for resources. Nations like Germany and Japan are less lucky. Without trading partners they won't be able to grow their industrial base sufficiently, and that leads to long-term problems, which tend to crop up in games which go all the way to 1964. :P

Production, too, has an additional subtlety or two. The one that comes to mind right away is the gearing bonus. It takes time to retool factories, which already suggests that long production lines are good, but in addition, the longer the line the more the gearing bonus goes up. It reduces the time but increases the cost of the units produced.

Research is also a bit more complicated than it looks at first glance (although I guess I haven't even shown you the research page yet). You have research teams, each of which has a skill level and several areas of proficiency. Research projects have a difficulty and several sub-projects which correspond to areas of proficiency. Project difficulty sets the base time required to finish a project, from ~40 to ~50 days. The skill of your research team relative to the difficulty adds or subtracts from that. Areas of proficiency reduce the time required to complete a matching sub-project by half, and blueprints from your allies (which the USSR doesn't really get, thanks to a lack of major powers as allies) reduce it by half again. There is an additional factor: time. Researching a technology ahead of time adds a massive penalty, up to 90% at two years or so in advance.

Now for a few words on overall goals, since it's best if we have a unified national idea of where we're going. Let's call it Plan za Krasniy Mir (the plan for a red world):
1. By 1939: be prepared to turn back a German invasion in terms of units. Take our half of Poland and all of Pribaltika after the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Annex Finland entirely in the Winter War.
2. By German invasion plus six months: halt the German advance and turn it back upon them.
3. By May 1942 (if the Germans have not attacked): attack Germany.
4. By German invasion plus one year, or May 1942 plus one year: reach Berlin.
5. By Dec 1944: control China.
6. By Dec 1945: invade the Allies in Europe (including Finland and Norway if we have the forces) and begin island-hopping toward Australia and New Zealand.
7. Long-term: invade the United States across the Bering Sea.

For 1-3, we'll be focusing on building a large land army. Following that, we'll begin to shift our production more and more toward air and naval forces. We'll need a strong land-based naval bomber force to help our fleet out in battle, since I doubt we'll be able to compete with the Americans on equal ground in the open sea. #7 is a response to that. The Americans will be capable of defeating our supply lines across the Atlantic with surface action. By using naval bombers based in Kamchatka and the far eastern part of Siberia, we'll be able to cross in somewhat greater safety.

Precisely how to accomplish these, the ordering thereof, and even adding or subtracting things to that list I leave as a topic for discussion.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 01:33:18 pm »

Dammit now i want to play HOI again X)
But i always sucked horribly, probably because i didn't really like fighting, and would focus solely on developing industry and technology, plus it was always fun to turn on germany as Japan and go halfway around the world to help out in europe XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 03:45:03 pm »

Actually, would it be feasible to move into the middle-east during this time and get us some much-needed oil? It would be nice for the Motherland to be able to be independent from the needs of trading of other countries in case we piss the allies off.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 03:58:46 pm »

We should try to ally Turkey. If I remember correctly, you start with pretty good relations with them. Would give you access to the mediterranean from Sevastopol as well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 04:10:47 pm »

Actually, would it be feasible to move into the middle-east during this time and get us some much-needed oil? It would be nice for the Motherland to be able to be independent from the needs of trading of other countries in case when we piss the allies off.
The Allies are a bunch of capitalist bastards. That our glorious Motherland should ever have to cooprerate with such sick and twisted civilizations is a disgrace. But I agree, take down the Middle East and annex it. Yes, all of it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 04:33:00 pm »

Persia sounds tasty to me, other than that I don't see many options.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2011, 05:31:03 pm »

Actually, would it be feasible to move into the middle-east during this time and get us some much-needed oil? It would be nice for the Motherland to be able to be independent from the needs of trading of other countries in case we piss the allies off.

We are, in fact, oil-independent already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_industry_in_Azerbaijan

On the other hand, more of it is never bad, and it might not be a bad idea to pick up some of the Middle East anyway. Eventually we'll be fighting the British there, so.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2011, 05:31:50 pm »

But without middle-eastern oil, the allies are doomed!

Wait, where does the reich get his oil from?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2011, 05:38:06 pm »

Wait, where does the reich get his oil from?

Romania and oil conversion refineries.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2011, 05:55:47 pm »

So we can go to Romania, yes?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2011, 05:56:26 pm »

Good, a shambling and war-wracked fascist empire will be easier to take down than a democratic coalition.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2011, 06:05:56 pm »

Now for a few words on overall goals, since it's best if we have a unified national idea of where we're going. Let's call it Plan za Krasniy Mir (the plan for a red world):
1. By 1939: be prepared to turn back a German invasion in terms of units. Take our half of Poland and all of Pribaltika after the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Annex Finland entirely in the Winter War.
2. By German invasion plus six months: halt the German advance and turn it back upon them.
3. By May 1942 (if the Germans have not attacked): attack Germany.
4. By German invasion plus one year, or May 1942 plus one year: reach Berlin.
5. By Dec 1944: control China.
6. By Dec 1945: invade the Allies in Europe (including Finland and Norway if we have the forces) and begin island-hopping toward Australia and New Zealand.
7. Long-term: invade the United States across the Bering Sea.

I disagree at point 6.  We need to add point 5A->Join the US in their attack on Japan.  The biggest fault of the real-life soviets was not invading Japanese holding sooner.  That meant that the Americans could dictate all the peace terms to Japan, allowing them to become the financers of the Cold War Capitalists.  Instead, jump on them while distracted by the Americans.  Only when they fall or declare peace with the Americans should we antagonize the Allies.

Oh, and how does this game handle the nuclear era?  Are nukes possible, and if so do they trigger a "cold war"?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2011, 06:11:04 pm »

I disagree at point 6.  We need to add point 5A->Join the US in their attack on Japan.  The biggest fault of the real-life soviets was not invading Japanese holding sooner.  That meant that the Americans could dictate all the peace terms to Japan, allowing them to become the financers of the Cold War Capitalists.  Instead, jump on them while distracted by the Americans.  Only when they fall or declare peace with the Americans should we antagonize the Allies.

Oh, and how does this game handle the nuclear era?  Are nukes possible, and if so do they trigger a "cold war"?

Agree. No cold war really but nukes DO work!

I think Raping Japan for all we can get should trump invading the allies.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2011, 06:31:14 pm »

Also could you add the Experimental or whatever it was called tech tree, the one that had all the goodies :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2011, 06:35:05 pm »

Cold war extention?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37