Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Experiments in Ceramics  (Read 2240 times)

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Experiments in Ceramics
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:38:02 am »

I have created a new material, dwarven battle ceramic (Idk why I'm using that name, please suggest better!), which has the properties of iron (except for density, 2250), but is made (pretty cheaply) from 3 boulders of clay.
Material:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reaction:
Add
to entity_default, under the entry for Mountain/Dwarves, or whatever other race you use, to be able to actually MAKE the stuff.

If there are any errors or updates needed, please tell me!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Experiments in Ceramics
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 02:11:21 am »

So this can be used to make blades or armor?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:19:00 am »

Call it bread. Make it require flour, sugar, beer, and gypsum powder.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:54:00 am »

What do you call a ceramic long sword? A claymore.
*Ba dum tish*

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:02:39 am »

Call it bread. Make it require flour, sugar, beer, and gypsum powder.

You swing your Broadloaf at the monster. It is struck down!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:16:08 am »

if you meanthis, then you probably messed with wrong material(s)

and that is way beyond, i supposed, dwarven technology.
otherwise i think they should be able to extract aluminum from bauxite, which they cannot now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:20:47 am by Lamphare »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:18:16 am »

Realy? Because I was planning on using ceramics to build a super conducter energy network that functions at room temperatures, but I guess that is off the cards.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:21:38 am »

Realy? Because I was planning on using ceramics to build a super conducter energy network that functions at room temperatures, but I guess that is off the cards.

Hmmm... do we have conductivity modeled at all much currently in-game? I know we have some rudimentary heat transfer, but how deep does that rabbithole go?

as for the "energy network", if you made "logs" out of ceramics you could use them for the axles to transfer power between machines. Freeing up wood for other uses.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:21:18 am »

This wasn't supposed to be realistic, I mean, THEY'RE DWARVES! They use quantum entanglement or whatever it's called to link things together over massive distances WITH TWO PIECES OF ROCK! They make MAGMA CANNONS with GLASS! I'm sure they can somehow magically make a ceramic with iron strength from 3 pieces of clay!

Sorry about the rant, if you have anything to say about GAME BALANCE and how it should be modified, please do!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:43:00 am »

if it's just iron-analog, it works for me. Probably would help with the whole problem of "I'm being attacked and my civ is stuck in the bronze age (if that)".

I thought maybe we were moving on to further experimenting. Clay coins? Clay logs? Clay Dreidle ITEM_TOY? Glay golem creatures?
[/quote]

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:46:52 am »

Has anyone TESTED this? I'd kinda like to know if it works and i'm not the greatest fan of 31.19's stupid embark screen... Well, if I can find a 'cano with flux, running water, and clay nearby, I'll go for it...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 09:50:59 am »

Has anyone TESTED this? I'd kinda like to know if it works and i'm not the greatest fan of 31.19's stupid embark screen... Well, if I can find a 'cano with flux, running water, and clay nearby, I'll go for it...
It's all shown on the embark screen.

"deep/shallow clay" - clay
"volcano" - volcano
"flux stone" - flux

If you need other translations, I can help you :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 08:20:50 pm »

I know that stuff, I meant just finding the right site, I often have issues with finding good sites, as I'm VERY particular about embark sites. Anyway, the mod didn't work, the reaction and material exist, but the reaction gives earthenware bricks!

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 08:40:59 pm »

Umm, what? It should not give earthenware bricks, it should give "dwarven strengthened ceramic shard". And you probably don't want BLOCK, try BAR.

Edit: Ah, here's your problem: you need CERAMIC_BATTLE, not BATTLE_CERAMIC. Because it doesn't exist, it must be making a generic material.

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 08:54:29 pm »

Oh derp, mismatched names, block instead of bar (note to self... anything used as a metal needs to be in BAR form to be usable)... BRAINFART! I think I'll fix that, I want to have a pseudo-metal industry running.
OFF-TOPIC: I only wish I had had the foresight to bring an extra pick... second fort in a row where the miner just decided to stand still as the lava advanced, one FELL ASLEEP before getting immolated, this one just stood there with "no job"! Both had been assigned to burrows outside of the magma tunnel so they had more of a reason to run away, but alas, dwarves are R-R-R-RETARDED! (Yes I embarked with one miner and one pick...)
Pages: [1] 2