Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bees  (Read 1848 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Bees
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:38:04 am »

My biome is definitely Not Freezing, but I see no bees... do colonies have a chance of popping up?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Bees
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:27:02 am »

I think they will, over time, if you aren't in some extreme climate.  I don't know if it's been verified yet.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:50 am »

I'm having the same problem. Then again, I don't know what the hives look like, so maybe they're carefully hidden.

And it seems I can't make hives yet. I guess you need to have at least one real hive before you can make artificial ones?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:29:35 am »

Hives look like ant colonies. Maybe you glossed over one?
Memento Mori

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:34:45 am »

If you have a hive set up and someone with Beekeeping the beekeeper will automatically find a hive if it exists, so you don't actually need to know where one is.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:35:15 am »

If you have a hive set up and someone with Beekeeping the beekeeper will automatically find a hive if it exists, so you don't actually need to know where one is.
But I can't make any hives. At least, I assume it's under Craftsdwarfs Workshop -> Rock, but there's nothing bee-related there.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:40:51 am »

But I can't make any hives. At least, I assume it's under Craftsdwarfs Workshop -> Rock, but there's nothing bee-related there.
I'm pretty sure hives are under wooden crafts.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 11:42:10 am »

Nope, just bolts and crafts under "Wood". And you should be able to make stone hives.

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 11:43:19 am »

hives are under both wood and stone as well as metal

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 02:14:42 pm »

hives are under both wood and stone as well as metal
And also the kiln; you can make ceramic hives.

Edit: If you're actually looking for bee hives in nature, look for small brownish vermin swarming around something that looks like an ant colony. Those aren't the hives the game refers to when trying to build one, you need to create a hive item at the Craftsdwarves workshop or kiln, then place that, and your beekeeper will run off, grab a natural hive, and shove it in the artificial hive in the form of thousands of live honey bees.

If you're worried about having a sustainable supply (Although I doubt you'll only ever have 1 bee colony on the map), keep your first hive so you can split it later. You'll have to tell your beekeeper not to take products from it if you're trying to do that, though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:28:57 pm by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 03:46:09 pm »

If the game isn't letting you make hives, then you're probably running a fortress that was generated in version 0.31.18 or earlier, in which case bees do not exist - you need to generate a new world and start a new fortress within it before you'll get bees.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:19:37 pm »

Anybody else having problems getting your dwarves to collect bumblebee hives from the wild?  On the current map I'm playing, there's at least one or two bumblebee hives (but no honeybees) and despite having three available hives to place a wild hive in, my dwarves won't collect them.  I've noticed this happening in other fortresses I've run as well.

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 12:47:34 am »

I also noticed my dwarves would not collect bumblebees even with 5 open hives, but hastily collected the 3 honeybee colonies on my map.
-The Dwarf Creed-
This is my workshop. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without my workshop I am useless. I must use my workshop well. I must work harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. He must have fun before I do. I will make it so. Before Armok I swear this creed: my workshop and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Amen.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 06:36:06 am »

If the game isn't letting you make hives, then you're probably running a fortress that was generated in version 0.31.18 or earlier, in which case bees do not exist - you need to generate a new world and start a new fortress within it before you'll get bees.
But I'm not... I just generated this new world.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 07:29:58 am »

But I'm not... I just generated this new world.

Just curious, in the craftdwarf workshop can you make pots, jugs, and nest boxes?
Pages: [1] 2