Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indoors pastures.  (Read 5539 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Indoors pastures.
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:34:11 am »

So, I embarked on a site with a few sandy clay layers and shallow metal (magnetite, and limestone - squee!). I was mining out a square for refuse on the first z-level down, which is a sandy clay layer, and I noticed that grass started growing there! In sparse amounts, sure, but still, grass!

So my question is: are indoor pastures viable at all?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Indoors pastures.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:38:00 am »

I haven't tried it out, although it seems feasible. When I put animals down there they starved :/ I think there is a glitch with them trying to eat grass under a door/building/stairwell instead of the grass they are standing on until they starve.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:12:02 am »

The problem is they eat so much.  I had a yak and water buffalo and they ate 9 squares really fast. (I had them chained, they ate all around the chain)  Like 3 times a season.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 10:42:46 am »

Yeah, another problem with DF time dilation. Grass should grow faster than a square a season in my opinion.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 10:48:43 am »

I have two rabbits, four cavies, four yaks (I meant to take two...whoops), and a guineachick, and they seem to be doing quite fine on a 13X24 pasture. I plan to expand it a little, though. To be safe (and for when the bunnies start humpin').
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:50:46 am »

I have two rabbits, four cavies, four yaks (I meant to take two...whoops), and a guineachick, and they seem to be doing quite fine on a 13X24 pasture. I plan to expand it a little, though. To be safe (and for when the bunnies start humpin').

Edit: Make that six cavies...perfect comic timing, miss cavy.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:06:26 pm »

Yaks eat like hell. All pastures where I've had Yaks and Water Buffalo have ended up bare very quickly, it also seems to me that grass grows slower inside, though I'm not certain. Anyway AFAIK it's a bug, grass isn't meant to grow inside. You're meant to use grass outside or fungus in the caverns.

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 05:14:50 pm »

I have several large beasts and a few smaller ones in a pasture ( 20x20) inside. Seems to work just fine. A few bare spots always but mostly grass. 40 pets total, maybe half are sheep or bigger. Less than 10 camel sized so far.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 06:20:39 pm »

i do winter-summer rotation.
essentially like the real herdsmen do, shifting pasture land half-yearly.
so the other part of the pasture could grow enough grass without disturbance.

or simply mine a huge pasture.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »

Similar to me,
I also let my livestock graze on a pasture
and after a while put them onto another pasture elsewhere,
so that the plants on the previous pasture can regenerate.
But I think IŽll try another approach soon,
making individual pastures for every kind of livestock (one for yaks, one for camels and so on)
so that I can individually can determine the pasture size for every species

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:45:18 pm »

Yeah, another problem with DF time dilation. Grass should grow faster than a square a season in my opinion.
How fast is grass meant to grow underground?  :P
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.