Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Sieges  (Read 1066 times)

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Sieges
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:21:13 pm »

My current fort (0.31.18) has 155 dwarves and I haven't had a single siege.  My last fort got it's first siege very shortly after reaching a population of 80.  It was a pathetic one-squad siege with one mounted leader, but a siege nonetheless.  I've had various uninvited guests and a few ambushes, but nothing too exciting for years.  I think ambushes have completely stopped, and now that I think about it, it's been a long time since I've seen even a kobald thief.  I'm getting bored, considering gearing up for a circus expedition, which seems difficult without getting more combat experience for my soldiers.

I currently allow all my dwarves to roam the entire surface and every inch of each cavern level, largely out of laziness, but also because I like seeing my civilians punching things to death.  There have been a few injuries, but I have plenty of happiness and plenty of dwarves.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Sieges
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:25:50 pm »

Can you order your squads to kill your own pets, say some of those pesky owned cats?  At least they'll get practice with their swords.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »

What about the worth of your fortess, the number of inhabitants and your yearly amount of trade?

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:47:42 pm »

Created wealth is at 2.9 million dwarfbucks. I don't trade much because the only thing I want more of are tame beasts and cotton candy.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:02:35 pm »

Are you on an island or are goblins extinct?

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 02:26:14 am »

If I'm on an island it's a damn big one. I have goblins in cages, but I haven't seen any new ones in a while. If they're extinct, it happened very recently, and the 'c' key shows a goblin civ. I did get at least one ambush after going over 80 in population.

Regarding pets, I have a waterfall/dwarf shower that sometimes sucks pets through a fortification drain enough z-levels to suffer injuries that eventually kill them. I thought this was a major bug in my design until I realized that the waterfall itself is more than sufficient to offset any unhappiness they get from dead pets. It's clearly a feature.

I don't think the military can be used to kill tame animals at all, not that they'd offer much of a challenge.

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 04:42:59 am »

Oooh, I finally had a siege.  Very weak, one large squad of archers, mostly wearing leather, all very dead.  Not one injury on my side.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »

Just jumping in on this question here:

I can get ambushes after long enough, but I've never seen a siege. Does the civ screen have to say "War" for them to siege? If the gobbos aren't at war with you initially, will they declare war after some point?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 02:50:51 pm »

Just jumping in on this question here:

I can get ambushes after long enough, but I've never seen a siege. Does the civ screen have to say "War" for them to siege? If the gobbos aren't at war with you initially, will they declare war after some point?

If gobboas send ambushes they should eventually send sieges (the ------ next to a civ at the embark screens pretty much means they're not at war with you but they'll send sieges and ambushes anyway) Civ's without that do need to declare war (humans and elves in vanilla)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 04:20:24 am »

An easy way to get a declaration of war from humans is to kill their caravans. For the elves it's the same, or simply try trading wood to them enough times.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 04:36:28 am »

I've now had two goblin sieges and I killed the elves while the last one was in progress.  I've heard, however, that elves are prone to forget the misdeads of dwarves and sometimes continue sending peaceful caravans even after several are slaughtered in cold blood.