Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: very poorly cat :(  (Read 3844 times)

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
very poorly cat :(
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:30:16 pm »

My cat is sick.  Really sick.  Blood tests so far have shown an abnormally low white blood cell count, and the 2 most likely candidates for this are feline leukemia/bone marrow tumour, or feline HIV.

The last time she got sick from swallowing an entire spool of cotton thread she had to have 1/3 of her bowel and intestine removed and it cost me so much I'm still in debt now.  If she's got either of these illnesses I have no idea how I'll be able to get her the treatment she needs.  I'm already midway through getting a DRO as it is.

Anyone here had a cat with either of these illnesses?  Anyone got any advice they could offer would be appreciated.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: very poorly cat :(
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:14:49 pm »

Ermm...I don't know how to say this but, I think it's time to let go. Your too poor to pay the med bils and surviving cancer is tough even for a human.
I'm really sorry.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »

I think, you might just have to let your cat go.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:21:41 pm »

If it is feline leukemia there won't be anything we can do anyway, aside from keep her comfortable while she goes.  If is it feline HIV she could, with treatment, live as long and healthy a life as a normal cat... it'd be kinda hard to "let her go" under that circumstance, you know?  But I do see what you mean.

I just wondered if anyone here has had a cat with either of these illnesses could give me any idea what to expect from here on in.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:28:49 pm »

Let it die mercifully. A cat that has lived a full life (one long enough to get and recover from cancer), should not be made to suffer due to your attachment.

Never had a cat with those issues, but I have had one that began suffering from dementia at the age of 15, a few years after loosing a leg from an auto accident. Had another one that was very sick after what I assume is cancer due to the tumerous growth on his chest. Also had a couple of young warlock dobermans with congenital heart deformities.  All of them were put down to prevent further suffering.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:57 pm »

A cat that has lived a full life (one long enough to get and recover from cancer)

Dude.  She's 5.  As the vet said himself "just a baby"

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:50:05 pm »

A cat that has lived a full life (one long enough to get and recover from cancer)

Dude.  She's 5.  As the vet said himself "just a baby"

And my dobermans were 3. There is only so much that you can do. You can not afford treatment, that means that treatment isn't available. Since treatment isn't available, the only humane option is euthanasia.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 02:56:55 pm »

Never had a cat with those issues, but I have had one that began suffering from dementia

... I'm curious, how do you determine that a cat has dementia?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 03:03:20 pm »

Never had a cat with those issues, but I have had one that began suffering from dementia

IIRC: personality change, seems to not recognize family members with growing frequency, random aggression, no longer cleans itself, apparent disorientation and lack of balance, no longer interested in eating. I think that covers most of the symptoms.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 03:10:30 pm »

My cat had brain cancer and had some of those symptoms too, as well as incontinence.  He'd also spend hours just walking in circles.

I also had a cat with feline leukemia, and he had to be put to sleep, and two of my dogs were too (One had incurable stomach cancer and was obviously suffering, the other was ancient, approaching the record for his breed, and was also obviously in a lot of pain, serious joint problems and possibly also cancer).

If she's clearly suffering and you can't or can't afford to treat her, the only humane thing to do is to put her to sleep.
Shoes...

ryak2002

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Computerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 03:56:41 pm »

If you actually do end up having to put your cat to sleep, think of it this way.  Every day, there are cats who are put to sleep because the shelters can't afford to feed/take care of all the cats they have even if they are perfectly healthy. 

Its terrible that your cat is sick, but if you can't save it at least you can save another on in its memory.
Dwarf: Excuse me, sir.  This !!x cave spider silk tunic x!! is on fire.<BR>Store Clerk: Oh, how about half price?<BR>Dwarf: deal!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 12:14:51 pm »

Like Nadama said, probably similar to the ways you do in a person. You can tell.

I had a cat who probably didn't get dementia when she was old, but her personality certainly changed. She got a lot more friendly, quiet, and didn't venture too far outside anymore. Of course, this was probably also set off by the fact that she got a terrible, painful eye infection and had to get it amputated.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »

Leukemia would be a very difficult cancer to cure... But look up the power of apricot kernels(AKA Vitamin B17, amygdalin, laetrile). I know it sounds like a bunch of conspiracy theorist hooplah, but I worked for the company that sells the most kernels and has the longest and best reputation in the industry and some of the testimony from the customers was ridiculously convincing.

This site is run by the same man, whose father was a Doctor, and one of the laetrile pioneers, and has lots of people in situations dealing with cancers, etc. and there should be plenty of topics etc. about pet dosages. If not, you can always start a thread; the people there are very friendly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 03:59:38 pm »

Pics Double-blind trial or it didn't happen

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:33:59 pm »

Reading their description of a "zapper", they don't know science from marketing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2 3