Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 143

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 635827 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #1920 on: March 10, 2023, 01:54:26 pm »

I've been using Retroarch on Steam for quite a while now (it's been available in "Playtest" form since 2020) and honestly the main draw for me is that you can use it with Steam's Remote Play Together feature. I've successfully played several co-op/competitive N64 games online with an international friend through it and it worked rather shockingly well.

Cloud saves are another notable perk, though they don't work on every core.

This is all assuming you can figure out the correct cores and properly configure it, though, and it is admittedly a mess in that regard.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 16, 2023, 10:38:48 am »

This week epic store freebie is "Warhammer 40k Gladius : Relics of War"

It's a very good wargame based on the good old Panzer General system (like old WH40K Rites of War was) but with some 4X elements added to it (research tree, city building) to add some depth.
By default it features 4 factions (space marines, orks, imperial guards, necrons) but similarly to a Paradox games there are truckloads of DLC that adds more 40k factions (and some dlc that add more units to the existing factions).

An interest point is that each factions (at least the default one as i have no idea about the dlc) have their own gameplay gimmicks.
The game is apparently DRM free.

There's no announced game for next week, is that because it's a surprise freebie or did Epic just ran out of fortnite money ? :D
(edit : ah they updated the page, next week it should be "Chess Ultra" that is a chess game in 3D with a VR mode, not sure it's any better than 2D free chess games like the most excellent Lucas Chess )

note : a mod that is often recommended for Gladius is this one that adds tons of voices to the units
https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40000gladiusrelicsofwar/mods/11
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 01:18:03 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 20, 2023, 11:36:14 am »

On gog you can claim for free "Lorelai" , it's at its core a mix between visual novel and adventure point&click game but with your character side scrolling around and lots of voiced dialogues instead of text.

From what i read it's also the last game of a trilogy with the previous games being "The Cat Lady" and "Downfall".
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:44:06 am by Robsoie »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 20, 2023, 01:30:19 pm »

A friend of mine was quite impressed with Cat Lady but it didn't really look like my cup of tea. Good for horror fans.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 23, 2023, 09:34:13 pm »

Discoverd Beyond All Reason today.
Heavily inspired by Total Annihilation, this could be a nice new gen sucessor to titles such as TA and SupCom.

Still in alpha, I had two CTDs on a specific map, but it looks and plays nice overall.

And hey - it's free!
Download available on the site below

https://www.beyondallreason.info/news
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: March 23, 2023, 10:38:47 pm »

It's a spring engine game, for what it's worth -- same as Zero-K and a pile of others. Basically a more modern open-source engine built to run TA and things like it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 24, 2023, 01:27:44 pm »

On gog you can claim for free "Neurodeck: Psychological Deckbuilder"

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: March 25, 2023, 07:20:42 pm »

Didn't noticed before but in february there had been a new 2.11 release of the excellent Dark Mod
https://www.thedarkmod.com/posts/the-dark-mod-2-11-has-been-released/

For those that never heard about the Dark Mod, it's a free and open source stealth game more than inspired by the Thief serie (it has nearly the same gameplay) running on the doom 3 engine . The Dark Mod is a standalone game, no need to have anything else, just download (well download the installer that will download the game files for you) and play

Note while there are 3 missions (one is a training mission) that comes with the game, there are more than 100 additional missions you can download from the ingame menu, see the list :
https://www.thedarkmod.com/missions/

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 28, 2023, 08:39:49 am »

on gog you can claim "Alwa's Awakening"
That's a metroidvania game that look, sound and play like an old NES game (they even have a DLC that allow to play the game with a NES emulator)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 31, 2023, 02:01:37 pm »

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 31, 2023, 04:01:40 pm »

I just gave a quick try and i find it promising.

Deep Sky Derelict is a deckbuilder game in which you explore space hulks trying to reach some contract goal to make money, upgrade stuff all around and etc.. Some rooms in those derelicts can be searched for item, you can run into various type of encounter, etc..
 Just made sure you keep enough energy to go back to your shuttle and back to your station to sell your loot.

The visuals are inspired by Darkest Dungeon (though less dark) but with a sci-fi design.

Not sure how it is on the long term but so far it's enjoyable

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: March 31, 2023, 04:17:21 pm »

I got it a while back, and while I very much enjoyed it at first, it started getting samey and unenjoyable after a bit. YMMV, but it didn't really feel like it evolved at all as the game went on.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 31, 2023, 06:42:18 pm »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: March 31, 2023, 07:18:23 pm »

I got it a while back, and while I very much enjoyed it at first, it started getting samey and unenjoyable after a bit. YMMV, but it didn't really feel like it evolved at all as the game went on.
Echo-ish that, though I think some of the DLC work changes that up a bit? Even base game felt like it was worth... whatever it was I paid for it, years ago, in any case. Deffo worth free.

... though minor caveat, I didn't like the... oxygen or energy or whatever mechanic it used to put a clock on individual runs, so I did yeet that mess out of my life with cheat engine when I played. I don't think it's a detriment to the game, per se, and plenty of folks probably enjoy the constraint/resource management involved, but, like. I bloody hate food clocks and will beat them over the head with a memory editing tire iron very rapidly and with no regret, so.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 31, 2023, 08:16:14 pm »

I can see how it can get repetitive after a while, but at least so far i'm enjoying it.
I got my crew to level 4 and nicely equipped with some good cards, the customisation of your troopers equipment by adding modules to their carried items to get different cards into their deck is a good idea.
For now the energy has been generous enough, finding rather often recharge so i could stay in a hulk for rather long before thinking of going back.

Totally worth a try, especially at that price.

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 143