Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: The Portal 2 ARG, potatoes, Valve time, no spoilers. Pretty much outdated now.  (Read 12949 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is now available for pre-order
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 01:28:05 am »

I want more TF2 content. More. Until it becomes self-aware and starts creating hats of its own.

I really, really, hope to god you're not serious.

This mass influx of new items has ruined TF2 irrevocably.
You're nuts. I love new items.

Play on servers that do not allow items, if you're that whiny. :V
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:32:39 am by Soulwynd »

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 02:14:37 am »

I want more TF2 content. More. Until it becomes self-aware and starts creating hats of its own.

I really, really, hope to god you're not serious.

This mass influx of new items has ruined TF2 irrevocably.
You're nuts. I love new items.

Play on servers that do not allow items, if you're that whiny. :V

I agree with Draco on this one, it's not whining.  Balance has gone all to hell with that many new items.  Valve was doing fantastic with making items balance with original loadouts throughout the class updates, and then went crazy.  That said, new hats are fine.

KG

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 02:57:42 am »

I'm really not too sure on Portal 2. Sure the first one was a work of art in the age of cultural overproduction. However I'm not sure how far you can drag out the portal mechanics.

The first game was short and sweet, which worked for it. Attempting to force it into a stand alone game puts a large amount of stress on the game play. I don't believe it can't be done but the puzzles, level design and storyline really have to be to the highest grade.
You'd understand what I'm talking about if you've ever played any portal mods. A single crappy puzzle or map can ruin the whole mod. Also using too many "skill" moves rather than just puzzles can also screw things up.

Might also sound a bit cynical but Valve have really been leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. The whole Left 4 Dead 2 thing was seen as a betrayal of those who bought the first (I didn't bother however). The lack of the third episode of Half-Life which is what made Valve so popular in the first place. The disgusting butchering of Team Fortress 2 which destoryed the balance and community. The failure to support Alien Swarm which could have gotten a larger population interested in steam. The updates to Half-Life 2 to the newest version of source was non-optional which destoryed modding communties and made some of the community which low end computers bitch (though in all fairness you can't expect such old systems to be supported). The Portal 2 pre-order bonus is pretty crappy too, who doesn't own Portal in this age? Not to mention more useless crap for TF2.  We finish with the price which seems pretty steep.

But hey, after all that it looks like a game I will get, perhaps when it drops in price and maybe a demo. If it's anywhere as good as the first one it still blows pretty much any game that came out in the last 10 years out of the water.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:49:38 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 05:04:10 am »

I read today in some old news that they tried some puzzles without portals involved at all, and their focus groups just kept asking where the portal gun was. I'm personally still quite enamoured with the mechanic. I've also gained some hope after playing the DigiPen project Tag which was the inspiration for the different gels in the game. Since they can carry an interesting puzzler by themselves it'll be great to see them coupled with the portal mechanics...
I agree that TF2 has rolled into the realm of stupidity, and the early release of L4D2 was a bit rough on the fans, but hey, people seem to love them. If I cared for multiplayer I'm sure I would too.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 11:02:49 am »

They brought the Tag team (hehe, pun) on board to help with Portal 2.  Those guys are Valve employees now, too.

I agree that TF2 has rolled into the realm of stupidity, and the early release of L4D2 was a bit rough on the fans, but hey, people seem to love them. If I cared for multiplayer I'm sure I would too.

TF2 is dying, Valve knows it, and is milking the community for every last penny.

There will never be another game like TF2 because it will come with the expectation of unlocable items, achievements, hats, trading, and microtransactions all of which are the very basis of why TF2 is dying.

Oh, and Monday Night Combat is TF3 by the way.  Only remove any semblance of balance from what you know about current TF2.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 12:24:21 pm »

You guys are so whiny it's unbelievable. There's no issue with balance, balance doesn't matter, you can kill any class with any class. What matters is having fun and having new items is always fun.

Plus don't spill bullshit like TF2 is dying. TF2 is -ALWAYS- and I really mean -ALWAYS- in the top 10 played games in valve statistics above L4D2. As much as I love MNC, it doesn't even get in the top 10, ever.

Now excuse me while I hope for Portal2 items for TF2.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 12:30:49 pm »

Heh, I quit TF2 because I didn't like the direction its going in.  Its not dying, it just appeals to a different audience now.

I'm really looking forward to Portal 2 though.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 12:41:52 pm »

There's no issue with balance, balance doesn't matter, you can kill any class with any class.

*Snork*
Let me just (hehe) go over here (haha) and laugh my ass off.

AH HAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Balance doesn't matter."

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 01:09:18 pm »

The lack of the third episode of Half-Life which is what made Valve so popular in the first place.

You have a bitter taste in your month because a company hasn’t come out with a new game? Isn’t that rather a sign that you like the company and the products they make? What is the deal with people thinking they are entitled to another Half-Life?  Episodic or not, they aren’t. We may all want to know how the story ends, but we don’t get to make the timeline.
The disgusting butchering of Team Fortress 2 which destoryed the balance and community.
I’ll admit the whole micro transaction thing is very very strange, but it did not butcher the community. There are still servers up every day with low pings and plenty of players. How exactly do you measure a “butchered” community?

The failure to support Alien Swarm which could have gotten a larger population interested in steam.

Where to start on this one? You are upset and complaining that Valve released a free game and didn’t support it? Really? This is a big thing your entire post is missing out on. Supporting these games long after they’ve been released costs money and is not something the average development team does. Any additional content they released for TF2 or Half-Life or anything else could have easily been a paid download. TF2 has been out now for three and a half years! The fact that Valve even lets the servers run is pretty incredible, let alone developing new content for it.

The whole Left 4 Dead 2 thing was seen as a betrayal of those who bought the first (I didn't bother however). 

This is the one part that I kinda sorta agree with you on. L4D2 was a pretty big surprise. I didn’t feel like enough had been done with the first one and number 2 was released 1 year to the day after the first one.

But, again, how can this leave a bitter taste in your mouth compared to the business practice of other major game companies? Map packs for 20 bucks? “Elite units of the (direction)” for 6 dollars? New train types for 2 dollars!?

(obligatory return post to OP sentance0) Every game Valve has come out with has been fun and Portal 2will be no different.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 01:13:10 pm »

There's no issue with balance, balance doesn't matter, you can kill any class with any class.

*Snork*
Let me just (hehe) go over here (haha) and laugh my ass off.

AH HAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Balance doesn't matter."

This is actually why I've taken to playing modes where direct combat is less of a focus like PropHunt, Balloon Race and TF2 Ware. The game is still plenty of fun even when I'm deliberately ignoring 80%+ of the content.

BUT BACK ON TOPIC: This game is coming out right before my birthday, so I'm probably gonna coax someone into gifting it to me. This way I get to play it immediately without being directly exposed to personal financial loss if it sucks.  8)
... and then it explodes!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 01:33:35 pm »

This is actually why I've taken to playing modes where direct combat is less of a focus like PropHunt, Balloon Race and TF2 Ware. The game is still plenty of fun even when I'm deliberately ignoring 80%+ of the content.

Prophunt and Dodgeball are pretty much the only way I can play TF2 anymore.

(Also: for servers that have just base weapons, that's not what I want either.  I don't mind the items that were released with the achievements, those are alright.  I use some of them, its the newer stuff that I take issue with).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 01:53:03 pm »

I stopped playing in November, after acquiring pretty much one of every weapon except for the mad milk (Which I could have traded for; I tried passive trading - listing items on tf2items and waiting for people to ask you about them, but that results in people adding you to their friends list and never saying anything to you) and the headless horsemann's axe (which requires ridiculous amounts of metal to craft, prevents you from making one of the hats instead, and so on).

I didn't even bother logging on during the holiday even to get a christmas-themed crate. Didn't see the point. I had other things to do. Some of them were fun things. Why waste time on something less fun to try to get a special crate?

And then Valve added a bunch of new weapons which I didn't have, which annoyed me more, because they had just ruined all the effort of getting everything else. I think I tried it for one day before concluding it just wasn't fun anymore, and stopping (I didn't get any of the new items in that time).

TF2 has been leaking fun for a long time. The last time it was actually fun was the Halloween update.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 02:06:09 pm »

TF2 has been leaking fun for a long time. The last time it was actually fun was the Halloween update.

The last time it was fun for me (see exception in prior post) was the time I played before the Halloween update.  The update itself was annoying and frustrating.

I ended up using a client side texture replacement so that the "gifts" had wall-hack, no-fog, BRIGHT YELLOW, fullbright, and didn't fade in.

And then I started being able to locate and pick them up with regular frequency.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 02:14:53 pm »

I played on a server with a gift queue, and when it wasn't your turn and a gift was out, you were frozen, so everybody got a turn to get a gift.

And in the meantime there was fun with the Horsemann and whatnot.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 02:19:22 pm »

I played on a server with a gift queue, and when it wasn't your turn and a gift was out, you were frozen, so everybody got a turn to get a gift.

I never found one of those.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18