Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Succumbed to infection"  (Read 2047 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
"Succumbed to infection"
« on: February 13, 2011, 02:38:14 pm »

Any dwarf that I have who sustains major injuries without dying quickly seems to get plane and then have this happen, sometimes with no 'need X' messages in the medical screen. They get faint then pale, then die in a season or two. Is there a way to prevent this?
Soaplent green is goblins!

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Succumbed to infection"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:39:19 pm »

make some soap

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:42:05 pm »

I made some soap, but he was already 'pale'. Was it too late then?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 02:43:31 pm »

Soap is helpful to prevent infections, provided you have a hospital and a doctor to clean the injured dwarf's wounds before the infection sets in.  Once the wounds are infected, the dwarf needs to have a strong resistance to infection to survive.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:12:03 pm »

From what I can tell, soap only *reduces* the chance of infection. Occasionally (but very infrequently) dwarves will get infected anyway.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:14:05 pm »

My dwarves get infected all the time and they usually get over it. Just need some good doctors and some water around.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »

ive yet to make a working hospital...let alone good doctors lol....though I suppose I never get to far it seems >.<

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:55:37 am »

If you re-injure a dwarf with an infection, will the infected area get cleaned again after the dwarf is re-diagnosed?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 01:10:37 am »

A re-injury may work, but even then you're still not going to be able to save everyone. Remember, there are no antibiotics in DF.

Just like IRL without antibiotics infections were extremely lethal. Nearly all deaths due to warfare were not due to weapons, but due to disease. Minor injuries would often lead to lethal infections, or some sort of plague would spread amongst the camp.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:21:48 am »

If you re-injure a dwarf with an infection, will the infected area get cleaned again after the dwarf is re-diagnosed?

I've wondered this as well. It never says on the health screen whether it's the whole dwarf that's getting cleaned or just the injured spot. It just says "cleaned with ... soap".  Does that mean they clean the whole dwarf every time? Or that they just clean diagnosed areas, but don't bother to list each one, since they all get cleaned at once?
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 01:26:33 am »

It appears to be only the affected area.  If you have a dwarf with multiple wounds, like upper and lower arm cut, then it generates two sets of clean, suture, dress orders.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 01:36:05 am »

It appears to be only the affected area.  If you have a dwarf with multiple wounds, like upper and lower arm cut, then it generates two sets of clean, suture, dress orders.

Two sets of orders, yes, but all the clean orders get satisfied at once. If you look in the log, you'll see only one instance of "clean" but multiple sets of stitches and setting bones. That's what mad me curious; maybe they only clean once b/c they clean the whole dwarf under that order so there's no need to do it multiple times. Or maybe the cordite knows and only cleans the left lower leg and right upper arm. The problem is that although this is a legit question, I can't think of any way to test it...
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:09 am »

Too many variables.  There's A) Does it wash the whole body or just the wounded parts? and B) Is an infection helped by washing?

I suggest danger room testing.  Get an infected dwarf who's got a leg infection, and toss him in the danger room without greaves, then let him go to the hospital.  If they wash his leg and he's cured, then bingo.  Repeat the process, except leave his breastplate off, and if the leg infection isn't cured...

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:53 am »

Too many variables.  There's A) Does it wash the whole body or just the wounded parts? and B) Is an infection helped by washing?

I suggest danger room testing.  Get an infected dwarf who's got a leg infection, and toss him in the danger room without greaves, then let him go to the hospital.  If they wash his leg and he's cured, then bingo.  Repeat the process, except leave his breastplate off, and if the leg infection isn't cured...

Danger room testing is a good call. All of my "medical school" experience so far has involved a 2 story drop directly into my hospital, which makes it pretty hard to injury a specific body part w/o lots of pretty irritating saving/reloading just before he hits the ground. I'll have to try this out.

"An' th' tables?"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 02:03:19 am »

For max protection purposes, use steel armor excluding one part, and keep in mind the areas that don't heal, namely toenails and teeth.  If a dwarf gets an infected toe, then he's screwed.  Try to injure a large region, such as upper leg, or perhaps internal organs via blunt damage without a breastplate.
Pages: [1] 2