Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Catching Fireflies.  (Read 2475 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Catching Fireflies.
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:53:24 pm »

I have them on the map, I want them caught. (LANTERNS!)

How does one do this? I've read the wiki and it wasn't entirely helpful, either that or I just couldn't get it to work. Additionally it said nothing about how to designate which insects/vermin would be caught by the trapper. I'm not even sure if that's really possible but if it is, then that would be wonderful. If it is not possible then, I wouldn't mind a modding program to change whatever the crap I do catch into a firefly. Unfortunately it does not appear that tweak is compatible with DF 31.18 as DF Hack (partially) is.

Thank you
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Catching Fireflies.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:39:08 pm »

You can't designate an area for trappers to trap.  Also, I'm not sure what logic trappers use when they go out to catch things.  They might try to catch things starting closest to the kennels, or closest to wherever your spare traps are, I don't know.

It's possible that you are catching fireflies and that your dwarves are eating them.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:40:16 pm »

Yea, even if you tame them your dwarves will eat them if they get hungry...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 02:03:06 pm »

Yea, even if you tame them your dwarves will eat them if they get hungry...
Only if starving.  The bug where any vermin in cave would be devoured as soon as they were caught was fixed in DF2010.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »

Maybe constructing a trap next to a pond and putting in a gem would work?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »

You can't designate an area for trappers to trap.  Also, I'm not sure what logic trappers use when they go out to catch things.  They might try to catch things starting closest to the kennels, or closest to wherever your spare traps are, I don't know.

It's possible that you are catching fireflies and that your dwarves are eating them.
Will trappers not respect burrows?
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:30 pm »

Forget about eating them when starving, how do you get them to eat them now?

I've got, like, five tame Rhino-Lizards in a cage, and nothing to do with them.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:33:11 pm »

Forget about eating them when starving, how do you get them to eat them now?

I've got, like, five tame Rhino-Lizards in a cage, and nothing to do with them.

Same here, I can't release them, because they just get transfered to traps. I can't pit them. I can't kill them. All I can do is stuff them into a built cage. What is the purpose of captured vermin? Building cages with it in rooms of dwarws who hate it for !fun! ??
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 07:49:48 pm »

Dwarves can adopt captured vermin like fireflies, squirrels, mice, lungfish, etc. as pets. They'll carry them around in their inventory. I believe you have to mark them as adoptable from the animals subsection of the stocks screen, but I'm not 100% sure though, since it's been a while since I've bothered with that.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:49:54 pm »

Well if you catch a vermin, that's a critter that won't eat through a barrel or something.

Some vermin can be tamed but dwarves will rarely adopt them.  Or you can sell them off but it's not worth much of anything.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »

You need to tame vermin, then specifically mark them as available for adoption, in order for it to be possible for a dwarf to adopt them.  When a dwarf adopts a tame creature, he will carry that creature around on his body.  I have a dwarf in my current fortress who has at least three tame giant roaches crawling around on him now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 10:32:17 pm »

Can you make zoos from vermin? Rat zoo in the dining halls...
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »

I'm curious about how cave spiders would behave, especially with their web-laying.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 11:55:44 pm »

Fireflies are special in that they have the [VERMIN_NOTRAP] token - as such, they cannot be captured in a baited animal trap. However, if you order a dwarf to capture a live vermin and he happens to be near a firefly, he might decide to try and capture it. I've managed to capture live lungfish (which are also NOTRAP) using this same method back in 40d, though I'm not certain if it still works in 0.31.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 12:27:46 am »

Fireflies are special in that they have the [VERMIN_NOTRAP] token - as such, they cannot be captured in a baited animal trap. However, if you order a dwarf to capture a live vermin and he happens to be near a firefly, he might decide to try and capture it. I've managed to capture live lungfish (which are also NOTRAP) using this same method back in 40d, though I'm not certain if it still works in 0.31.

Clearly I'm deleting [VERMIN_NOTRAP]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: [1] 2