Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cannot Build at Highest Level  (Read 1142 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Cannot Build at Highest Level
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:47:22 pm »

Does this mean my tower is finished?  It's only 10 tall D:

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Cannot Build at Highest Level
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:49:10 pm »

Correct.  You can't build walls on the highest Z-level, and there's no way to increase Z-levels after you've embarked.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:50:25 pm »

10 z-levels tall is enough to make anything you chuck off it splatter into paste.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:51:39 pm »

In that case, I may have to lower the terrain...  This is possible, right?  If I dig a channel around the entire map, 10 levels down, and then cause a cave in, the entire map will shift down...  Destroy my tower in the process, but now that I have good macros made, that shouldn't be an issue!

I'm debating between this idea, re-embarking (but it's such an awesome fort D:) or just going underground...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:57:09 pm »

You can't channel out the edge of the map, so you'll be left with a wall around your embark site.  And natural stone walls aren't destroyed when they cave-in, so you'll have to actually mine out each layer.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:04:11 pm »

I know, this would leave a ring around the map, which could be interesting, eh?  Without a ramp, any attackers would be stuck on the ledge!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:10:09 pm »

For future reference there's an option in advanced worldgen parameters to increase the amount of space above the highest point of land you get. Max is 100.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 04:17:06 pm »

Yes, I had noted this, but foolishly assumed it would go up more as I built more.  Like, it defines the point above the highest existing point.  Ah well, next time I dig down, channel out a pit for my tower like an antlion hole, with the spire rising up out of it grand and abusive!  With luck, I'm hoping for a foundation in the first cavern and a roof at +100, an easy 130, maybe 150 if I tweak the cave depth to reflect this desire.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:35:15 pm »

Just tested, you CAN build a support on the topmost level, and have it hang something from it.  Due to this, I plan on performing an ENORMOUS brick drop, where I shift the entire terrain down several layers at once.  I will mine out a few whole layers, detach my tower from the ground, with plenty of stone stocked within, and then drop the map.  Then it should be easy to construct additional floors hanging from the bottom-most floor of the tower.

Now the question: How far should this drop?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 10:15:55 pm »

It is quite funny that in Dwarf Fortress, the sky being the limit is the problem...

That summarizes the entire game.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:42:20 pm »

Now the question: How far should this drop?

As far as you can possibly make it drop because failing to maximize the abuse of physics on this grandiose scale would make Baby Armok cry.

And please, PLEASE take a movie of it, because I will print that movie out in a flipbook and fan myself to sleep with it every night.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:56:38 pm »

Alright, how do I record?  This will likely all be on stonesense, too.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:53 pm »

Now this could be fun.  Definitely got to get a movie of it.  Only caveat I'm seeing is that bit about not being able to build constructions (ie. walls) within 5 spaces of the map edge.  So that would leave you with a 5 tile wide wall around everything, but a few ramps and it's all accessible.

So drop everything 10-100 z-levels except the 5 tile limit section and then I guess it's ample space for siege weaponry.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 11:17:50 pm »

Actually, you can build floors and ramps against the map edge, but not walls, statues, or fortifications.  Basically, nothing which blocks the edge can be built on the edge, but passable structures are permitted.  You can designate within one tile though, so I'll be making a very narrow ledge around my base, and then connecting that to stairs and ramps as needed to direct traffic where I want.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 11:27:35 pm »

Good to know, I've never bothered with passable structures near the edge.  Only thing I've bothered with is walls, in the quest to turn most of my surface into a deranged maze (preferably roofed)with various raising bridges to reconfigure the passages that could have sieges wandering lost for decades.

Problem is I have a tendency to not finish.  Either I make a fun discovery (like a forgotten beast climbing up a well after sliding through a fortification that should only have an outflow due to an aquifer draining into the well cistern) or a minor refinement somewhere that would require me to shift everything already existing over 1 tile in some direction to use said improvement.

Therefore I invariably scrap whatever I'm working on, gen a new world and start over elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2