Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird, possibly meaningful, possibly bug  (Read 690 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird, possibly meaningful, possibly bug
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:04:05 am »

The situation is new to me, at least: I had perfectly functionable marksdwarf squad.  Sure only two or three carried ammo at any given time, but those three did enough damage to make things fun. Then, after an oversight on my part and idiocy on theirs, two dwarves, including the militia captain ran into a spike repeater meant for the goblins, it was full of steel spikes, so both dwarves predictably exploded.

So here comes the weird part--the new commander came back and hangs out in the spike area now.  In the exact spot his ex-leader got skewered. If I give a station order he doesn't really follow. If I give a scheduled order same result: He says he's "stationed in the arena" instead, he is pensively sitting in a hall of spiked doom, which I am trying to modify with a drowning trap.  I really want him gone--so I change team leaders around, bust him down to private.  The next militia commander returns to the damn spot. Are they mourning? Can I make this stop? 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird, possibly meaningful, possibly bug
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:06:16 am »

Are they trying to get his stuff? They seem to like wearing the exact items of their previous leaders.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:21:59 am »

Dwarves develop "favorite places". They go to their favorite places to hang out. This is his.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 05:40:41 am »

Dwarves develop "favorite places". They go to their favorite places to hang out. This is his.
ya they do that. Mine go to where they scored kills and such.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:47:49 pm »

The trying-to-get-dead-leader's-stuff thing seems more likely, since two captains both really like the spot now.  I still don't get why he spends all day standing there, while his activity reads as "go to archery practice". I tried restricting the area with limited results--forbidden doors stop him, but Restricted activity zone does not. 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »

In my last fort, I'd just finished my gatehouse with fortifications above the entrance, and sent my newly trained marksdwarves there for their first combat when I got a siege. They didn't do anything, while my other squads tore the gobbos to pieces, but after that they'd always hang out there on breaks. I like to think they enjoyed watching the slaughter so much they had to look at the killing fields in every spare moment.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:51:19 pm »

When you give a military squad a direct order to station somewhere (ie, not an automatic scheduled order) then if they're idle, they tend to return to that spot.  This can be a nifty trick, if you tell a squad of 1 peasant hauler to stand on the wall, and disable his skills, then he'll automatically return there when idle and hopeful spot an ambush for you.  Sure, pets on chains are easier, but meh...