Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Film Enthusiasts; unite!  (Read 7121 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Film Enthusiasts; unite!
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »

Film Enthusiast; I summon thee!

Name your top 10 films, and put its main genre in brackets (in bold, preferably) next to it, and if its in a different language (for those who dislike subtitles and such).

1. Silk Ghost (Asian)
Spoiler: Synopsis (click to show/hide)

2. Pulse ("Kairo") Ghost (Asian)

3. Shutter Ghost (Asian)

4. The Eye Ghost (Asian)

5. Starship Troopers Sci-Fi

6. Serenity Sci-Fi

7. The Butterfly Effect Mindfuck

8. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954; Japanese)

9. Rush Hour Action-Comedy

10. Princess Mononoke Animé Asian
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:26:57 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Film Enthusiasts; unite!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:00:09 am »

By Film does it have to be live-action or are animated films allowed too?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:05:23 am »

1. Inception (mindfuck)
2. Memento (mindfuck)
3. Downfall (historical, WWII; German)
4. Big Fish (fairy tale/allegorical)
5. Goodbye, Lenin! (historical/comedy/not-that-happy, Berlin reunification; German)
6. Das Boot ist Vol (historical, WWII; German)
7. Notre-Dame de Paris, 1998 original cast version (musical/massive tragedy/laughing at cheap production values; French)
8. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (sci-fi/fantasy/animated; Japanese)
9. Princess Mononoke (fantasy/spiritual/historical/animated; Japanese)
10. 1776 (John Adams Extravaganza/musical)

... I'll probably assemble some other list later once I remember movies I enjoyed more than this, but I figure it's a good start.  They aren't in any particular order.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:09:07 am »

By Film does it have to be live-action or are animated films allowed too?

Oh man, I missed out my Hayao Miyazaki choices... But sure, Animé too.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:12:09 am »

Well this is my kind of thread. I'll warn you, my top ten aren't in any particular order. And I'm not one for genre categorization, either.

- Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954; Japan)
- City of God (Fernando Meirelles, 2002; Brazil)
- Eraserhead  (David Lynch, 1976)
- 12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957 - aside from how miscast Henry Fonda was)
- Up in the Air (Jason Reitman, 2009)
- The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)
- 3-Iron (Ki-duk Kim, 2004; South Korea)
- Three Kings (David O. Russell, 1999)
- Where the Wild Things Are (Spike Jonze, 2009)

WALL-E, Up!, and Toy Story 3 are in my top ten as well (replacing three of the films listed) but I thought it would be cheap to throw them in because I'm such a Pixar enthusiast. Including those, I'm finding it interesting how many of my favourites are from the 2000s, because nearly all of the stuff I watch (and enjoy, generally) these days is from the 1940s-70s.

5. Goodbye, Lenin! (historical/comedy/not-that-happy, Berlin reunification; German)

I'm gonna requote this because it's definitely worth a look to anyone who hasn't seen it. Great film.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:01:52 pm by Retro »

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:23:10 am »

Well this is my kind of thread. I'll warn you, my top ten aren't in any particular order. And I'm not one for genre categorization, either.

- Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954; Japanese)

I fucking love that film... I need to edit my top ten >_>'
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:24:55 am »

In no particular order

Brazil (dystopian sci-fi)
Eraserhead (horror?)
Pi (thriller)
Time (romance, thriller) Korean
Lost Highway (horror)
2046 (romance) Chinese
Dr Strangelove (satire)
The Producers (comedy)
Solaris [1972] (sci fi) Russian
Satyricon (historical, surrealism) Italian
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:29:03 am by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:31:55 am »

Say, does anybody know the name of the following film description? I saw it on TV once, I NEED to see it again! It's quite awesome.

German film. A High school teacher starts a class project about communism, but it soon spirals out of control. It starts with just a "group name", "secret inside phrases" and so forth, but escalates to uniformed same-clothing (white clothes) and shunning of those not in the group. They treat the teacher as a respected fuhrer, the leader of their group. The kids start vandalising areas by spray painting their logo around town (a fist I think it was, although I can't be sure).

Spoiler: The Ending (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 12:34:41 am »

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers
Disturbia
Surf's Up
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Greatest Game Ever Played
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Constantine
Bobby   
A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 12:39:27 am »

Say, does anybody know the name of the following film description? I saw it on TV once, I NEED to see it again! It's quite awesome.

German film. A High school teacher starts a class project about communism, but it soon spirals out of control. It starts with just a "group name", "secret inside phrases" and so forth, but escalates to uniformed same-clothing (white clothes) and shunning of those not in the group. They treat the teacher as a respected fuhrer, the leader of their group. The kids start vandalising areas by spray painting their logo around town (a fist I think it was, although I can't be sure).

Huh.  I want to see that too, now.

There's a similar film called The Wave, though, about an actual experiment on Nazism performed in an American high school.  It's absolutely terrifying.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 12:43:45 am »

There's a similar film called The Wave, though, about an actual experiment on Nazism performed in an American high school.  It's absolutely terrifying.

I thought he was talking about The Wave, but I don't think it ended that way. So I guess I don't know.

e- Also going to give a shout-out to Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece The Room (2003). Kind of indie, but one of the most moving films you'll ever watch. Definitely make an effort to find a copy.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:47:46 am by Retro »

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 12:47:03 am »

I thought he was talking about The Wave, but I don't think it ended that way. So I guess I don't know.

The wave! That's the one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1063669/
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 12:50:04 am »

Oh, interesting.  That's a German remake/film made from the same novel as a 1976 film about an experiment that happened near where I used to live.

I recommend checking out the original, too.  It was interesting.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 12:51:49 am »

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers
Disturbia
Surf's Up
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Greatest Game Ever Played
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Constantine
Bobby   
A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints

These are your favourite movies? Either you've got some serious guilty pleasure stuff going on here, or you've only seen ten films.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 12:55:27 am »

I have all the Shia The Buff love.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5