Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A lot of real countries have Dwarf Fortress style names if you translate them...  (Read 7115 times)

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://i.imgur.com/ex6Zu.jpg

(Unfortunately the image doesn't include sources so I guess there's an outside chance it could be inaccurate)

Examples:

Spain = Isle of Shrewmice
France = Land of Spears
Kenya = Mountain of Whiteness
Korea = The Land of the Morning Calm

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile

Hehe, awesome, an island was named "alligators".
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

'Unknown southern land'

Realy? I mean realy... We do have name!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Central Nation?

Try "The Middle Kingdom."

Not too sure about many of these Translations.

Spain, for example probably be something more like, Land of Rabbits or something, if you were to go off the Phonecian alone. But, because the modern name is a corruption of the Latin name, which itself was a corruption of a combination of the Greek and Phonecian name combined, it's probably mainly nonsense.

Also, Romania and Bulgaria are switched.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:42:57 am by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile

Denmark is not flat borderlands...
On Danish it is "Danmark" which means "Danernes mark" which in turn means The field of the Danes on English.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

My country, aka Romania.
"Those who Maintain the Forts"

Feels good man.

Waitwhat. Switched ? Makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:52:08 am by Dbuhos »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's better than some of the others like this that I've seen.

Denmark is the only thing I see that's actually wrong, but many others are just a little off, and there could be something there are also more than a few countries that I don't know, and didn't bother to look up.

Here's this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country_name_etymologies
It's not exactly perfect either, but it's the best there is.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile

The Chinese name for England is a phonetic corruption of the English name: Yīng guó. Translated literally back into English it means something along the lines of "Land of the Brave".

I think that's pretty cool, even if it's not the root of the name itself.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno about a lot of these. I think most names originate from languages that are long since lost in time.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile

Land. Come on!

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why groaning over "Land" when we have gems such as "Frizzy Hair New Blacks"?  ::)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

At least the Netherlands is correct, low lands is a good translation. (I like Land though :P)

EDIT: WTF! Iraq means the same as the Netherlands? Why the hell did the US attack the the Netherlands?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:55:02 pm by Dutchling »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Gilbert!
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile

At least the Netherlands is correct, low lands is a good translation. (I like Land though :P)

EDIT: WTF! Iraq means the same as the Netherlands? Why the hell did the US attack the the Netherlands?

We know one of you two lowlands has a secret WMDs hidden in Windmills...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ocean near the bear? I like it.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4