Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Learning cliff, i'm X where is X?  (Read 1636 times)

Twistolation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Learning cliff, i'm X where is X?
« on: February 03, 2011, 07:52:27 pm »

So all in all, i'm finally starting to crack this steel lined wallnut of a rock that is DF

I can get my forts up and running, get a wall up, and handle myself darned well untill the 20+ dwarf mark, and then i just run out of things to do for the other dwarves since i can buy massive amounts of stuff with from the caravans and i can suit up about 3/4 dwarfs with steel to make a decent enough army, i know i can increase the size of my army as my pop increases, but it is just unnerving to have 50+ idlers just having a big bad oktoberfest in my legendary engraved dining hall

So if i'm X and X is on "The" learning cliff, where is X

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Learning cliff, i'm X where is X?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:54:05 pm »

So, are the caverns open yet?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:55:01 pm »

You're on a small plateau, just above understanding the main mechanics but below knowing how to control large populations and set yourself ambitious goals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:56:52 pm »

I was gonna place you somewhere, but that's a good point.

If all: roughly 8/10, you haven't seemed to make magma explosions or pointless megaprojects, but you can thrive.

If no clowns: Still 8/10, because clowns kill FPS and avoiding them is no shame.

If no caverns: 5/10, you've got the foundation, but keep digging...

If no megabeasts: 3/10, a wall will stop an entire goblin army.  Try a real enemy, like flying, exploding carp, riding war grizzly bears, who also fly and explode.

Twistolation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:58:28 pm »

Well my first yeti was bowled over my walls into my fort, i bursted open the cavern to lose 50 dwarves to a single spider !!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:59:28 pm »

6/10, keep fighting, at least you're not suffering the utter lack of fortress from one crundle.

Twistolation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »

thanks, i've got to go manage large pops and caves now!

Twistolation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:14:57 pm »

Any1 got any tips on how to manage them dorfs? i seem to run out of things to do tbh

Bikgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 08:18:59 pm »

Dwarf Therapist helps so much with assigning dwarves skills, or just telling all your dwarves to become masons and get off their lazy bums for a second and pave a giant ceiling for your fortress.

Managers are also very nice for getting jobs done. If you MUST have ____, then simply put an order for it through the manager. The dwarves will keep doing the job (or trying to, which can result in terrible, terrible red text spam) until they finish the job or until you cancel it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 08:25:44 pm »

I turn off those spams in the Orders menu, since I tend to burrow people with unlocked doors, which generates a lot of "I want that sock on the battlefield but it's outside my burrow" spam, and also the "We won't have platinum until next caravan but you've ordered platinum tables" spam.

As for actually finding things to use them for, invent a new industry.  Clothes-making takes a lot of time, especially when training noob dwarves into legends.  Manually operate an artificial waterfall with pumps.  Manually operate dry pumps for the lulz.  Test your new cave-in defense and also train your doctors.  Meatshields.  Any variety of megaprojects!

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:23:31 pm »

Think bigger. Have 6 dwarfs in your steel industry? Make it 16. Don't have a glass industry? There's a place for 3 or more dwarfs. Need more bags for that glass industry? There's work for 3 more dwarfs. Not enough plants to make thread? Start more farms (above and below ground) and there's work for 6 or more dwarfs.

I usually just make everyone a miner and a mason because I always have mining or construction going on. I like huge, empty spaces and tall, pointless buildings.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Twistolation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:30:17 pm »

Yeah but i usually refrain from things i see no "profit in"

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:34:27 pm »

Download the fortress defence mod.

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 09:44:59 pm »

Whenever you get a Immigrant wave try sorting all the hauling labors to specific dwarfs. Like for example mason strictly are stone haulers and burial, farmers strictly harvest and grow crops let them be food haulers. Also try experimenting with the burrows and military. Like having a burrows set up outside your fortress gate that only military dwarfs are allowed, so that casualities are limited when you push the panic button...he he he.  Pick a industry like cloth and bring a proficient dyer with before embark so you don't have to spend all that time training him to legendary. Have him dye masterwork bags and set up a glass industry.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 03:30:18 am »

...i can suit up about 3/4 dwarfs with steel to make a decent enough army
Concentrate on learning the military system.  That's your next step.  A military allows you to have fun while still being able to control just HOW much fun you're having.

I'm still trying to get the hang of schedules and patrol-routes, but I HAVE managed to get a squad of Marksdwarves to "Defend Burrows" on top of a tower in front of my entrance and shoot-up any would-be troublemakers and provide covering-fire when my militia goes out to "Clean up the mess".  Marksdwarf covering-fire is really quite effective.  They don't kill quickly, but a bolt in the leg can stun an enemy long enough for your Axewarf to lop-off something important.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: [1] 2