Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My first megaproject - great pyramids  (Read 1652 times)

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first megaproject - great pyramids
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:40:54 pm »

So I've decided to start my first megaproject, and not being incredibly creative I've decided to build great pyramids in my current dwarf map, which is about 1/3 volcano, but about 2/3 very flat.  I've also decided that it's not really a good megaproject if I need to turn off invasions, so I'm doing everything with unmodded df (except allowing myself to tame exotic animals) and fighting off invasions with my small military. 
I've also decided that I want to make sure each pyramid is a different color and uses only 1 type of stone (Basalt for black, alunite for white, cinnabar for red, olivine for green, and I will do a gold one, since my embark has a ton of gold, etc.)  And once they're built my dwarfs will make their homes in these pyramids. 

Any ideas on what else I can do besides pyramids?  A sphinx is an obvious idea, but I'm not sure I'm up to the design task.  I've also thought about possibilities of making some sort of skyway system between the pyramids, but I'm not sure how that would work.  I've recently just finished my first pyramid (basalt), and have some others underway, although for some of them the problem is as much finding enough stone (I know it's there cause I used prospector).

Anyway, any suggestions?   

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: My first megaproject - great pyramids
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:46:01 pm »

Err you don't have Limestone ? Thats out of what the pyramids are made out of
Desu

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 01:00:15 pm »

Well, essentially. A realistic take would be making the pyramid out of whatever you want, then building one layer of walls and a layer of ramps on it out of pure limestone.

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Supersquee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:13 pm »

Pyramids eh? Well i'd suggest working with the other Egyptian works to make them fit in, you could attempt to make boat burials with them, maybe a mortuary complex linking to the pyramids with giant causeways, and i'd give you extra points for burying important Dwarves in them. I suggest a Sun Temple though, very open, lots of archways, a shrine with a representation of the ben ben built on top.
The problem with finding badassery in DF, is that the standard is so damn high.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:23:26 pm »

Hmm , make a Egyptean DORF Past City , A desert with a huge river , a huge map , some buildings , roads , pyramids , the kings palace and even more =3
Desu

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:25:24 pm »

Obelisks.  If you don't know what those are, the Washington Monument is technically one.  A 3x3 pillar with a pointed top, preferably made of ramps.  Get this all in stonesense plz!

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:21:05 pm »

Err you don't have Limestone ? Thats out of what the pyramids are made out of

Don't have limestone, and I don't need pure historical accuracy.  Also, I'm going for the different colors, all limestone would make it somewhat... monochrome. 

I could see doing a sun temple and some obelisks.  That might be an interesting addition to the project. 

I'll try to post what I have going in stonesense at some point, so it can be seen what I'm working with.  They're have been a few casualties so far in my project, so at least some of the pyramids might be used for tombs in keeping with tradition.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:32:07 pm »

Build them out of steel bars.  8)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:03:44 pm »

Obelisks.  If you don't know what those are, the Washington Monument is technically one.  A 3x3 pillar with a pointed top, preferably made of ramps.  Get this all in stonesense plz!

This is more like a hectoproject than a megaproject. Still... ah, hell, I could try.

I'll build a bauxite obelisk in my current fort. Maybe even quickly.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 03:04:52 pm »

Not build the obelisks as the main project, but a grand pyramid, with 4-6 obelisks accenting its walkway, would look pretty nice.

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 03:14:39 pm »

Pyramids are a nice start. :)
Well what i can say is try to add some complexity to the tombs inside them.

But my best advice. Do what ever you like for a mega project. I have done them all. (its sad yes. i spend too much time playing DF.) The wiki had a nice project list at one point. Plus there should still be some old threads. 

These days i build ever more complicated cities. I love cities. But that is my thing. Find your own and enjoy.

PS. remember, mega projects take time.. Don't get flustered if you don't seem to get anywhere. Some takes months of playing to get anywhere.
Art is a Blast

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:18:49 pm »

I'm a fan of towers myself.  I want to build a skyscraping, dizzying tower a few dozen or hundred Z's tall, with gran room allocations for all individuals.  In a fort of 100 or so, making a small fort for each dwarf, with their own bedroom, study, dining hall, and food stockpile, all suspended in the air, should prove to be quite the challenge.  If I can ever get stonesense working, it should be all the more amazing!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »

Use obelisks to accentuate the pyramids. I have a marble pyramid and it looks sick in Visual Fortress, especially with iron statues on all the corners.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »

Also since you are keeping invasions on--remember disastrous reclaims are fun for megaprojects--I remember the green glass tower of icy death, that when complete would not actually work (icy death clogged up the tower, naturally), trying to build it, losing to goblins, trying again, losing to F.B.'s, trying again, finishing the damn thing and realizing it will only work if I turn off temperature making my complex maze/tower/ice assemblage into a basic drowning hallway. Epic fail is epic!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 09:41:20 am »

I think I've decided to defy physics and do mirror pyramids, so something like this:
XXXX
 XXX
   X
 XXX
XXXXX

Along with other creations around them.  I'm trying to get stonesense to work, but it doesn't seem to be working for me, but it will take a while to make significant progress anyway. 

Anyway, once I make some significant progress I'll start posting screens.
Pages: [1] 2