Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Computer-based games  (Read 2363 times)

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
Computer-based games
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:07:44 am »

Hey guys, I was looking for games that can be played... on the hard-drive. It's kinda hard to explain.
Think of a worm virus, but instead of going out of control and doing bad stuff, it's a game. I had this idea this morning, and it seems pretty cool (if it were to ever work).

I can't of been the first person to think of this, and if anyone knows any game of the sort, I'd love to hear about them.

Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Computer-based games
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:11:58 am »

Erm.

There's a game that every time you score (or something) it randomly deletes a random file on your computer, which can be anything from some random text file to critical system files.

An I mean.. it deletes them.. literally.. they're gone forever.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:23:31 am »

That sounds like an incredibly bad game.

Also, what's the name so I know what to avoid? =P

Otherwise, the base idea sounds cool - sort of a beginning virus-maker's toy.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:41:35 am »

I recall a game called Inner Space, which is a 2d top-down space shooter with levels sort of based on your hard drive. That is, in each level is based on a folder and there are files floating about and your objective is to destroy infected ones (although of course, it doesn't actually delete the files on your hard drive). Besides that, there's also other ships, which can be hostile or friendly to you. Can't remember much else of it.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:47:16 am »

Virus: The Game

Virus: The Game is a classic example of great idea gone to waste by horrendous execution. Games Domain's uncompromising review of this unique old game says it all:

"Virus is a strategy game, well hidden in a Descent- style engine. It makes its levels out of the file structure of your computer's hard drive, which is quite unique. The plot is somewhat weird: A virtual Virus has been released into your computer and it's up to you to stop it. Otherwise you'll witness the ultimate decline of your entire system and the destruction of all your work. The virus will attempt to shut you out of your computer, kill your mouse, paralyse your keyboard, smash your windows [oh please..] and corrupt your files. Have you got what it takes to stop it?

The first level in the game is like this: You are placed in an attack craft, and you have to roam around in a lessened version of your directory structure. The task is to destroy the viruses residing in your files. These are shown in an Explorer-esque bar to the right, and the very file room you are present in is highlighted. The annoying bit here is that the file manager bar is too small; you need to scroll to the left and right all the time. And changing to 800x600 or higher doesn't work. Just another one of the distressing things Kidum could have fixed. The second level introduces you to the strategic part of the game; you'll need to build up a base and construct attack crafts and Kilobyte collectors. Kilobyte collectors are unarmed units designed to harvest KB which can be converted into energy by your KB Transformer. Energy is what you need to build things. However, new viruses will constantly attack your base, making it very hard to construct a base, even on the basic levels. And that's really what the essence of this game is: To collect kilobytes to build up your base, and then kill the virus. You can tell your units to patrol between two locations, auto-pilot them to new locations, and other various commands. You can take control over your units, and move them around manually, and this is the method of preference. The auto-piloting works terribly, and the game runs very slow when you use this feature.

Virus tries to combine the strategy and action genres. It fails in both aspects. There are not more than 10 units, which is a low number for a strategy game. Total Annihilation has 150, and that says a lot. And Virus is not a good action game either; it's nothing on titles like Descent 2 and the classic Terminal Velocity. But what's making Virus REAL bad is the fact that it's not scary nor involving. It has not any features that make it interesting, or no features that makes it worthwhile to purchase. It barely escaped the heinous GDR Junk award, thanks to its originality. Because frankly, it stinks, and you should not under any circumstances purchase it. And the great deal of major and minor bugs in Virus does not make things better. It's an interesting twist on the genre and it's original, but hey, that really does not help when the game plays like a wet fish. It does not look the part either. Treat this game as it really was a virus: Avoid it." Ouch. Terrible gameplay in every aspects - and Inner Space has done the computer-virus-invasion concept before, and better. Avoid at all costs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFMTvHMaons

Funny thing is that when you entered a txt file the text was written on the walls of the room, in rooms representing mp3s the music of the mp3 was playing and, jpgs had the picture on the walls, this was kind of neat.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:53:24 am by kulik »

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:02:24 am »

Fine then, sorry I ever opened my mouth :P
I'll go back to my corner writing my ideas of this game with my blood on the walls.

Goddamn, virus:the game looks terrible

I still like this idea though. So I shall PURSUE it Then I'll probably just stop... I'm a terrible procrastinator

I'll just shut up now
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:27:26 am »

In Space Quest 4, when you throw out Space Quest, it uninstalled itself.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:25 am »

Uplink?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 02:40:38 pm »

http://www.stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/

If you're a Mac user, this is the perfect game for you.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 06:33:24 pm »

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 08:51:32 pm »

Goddamn, virus:the game looks terrible
If you don't want to risk destroying your machine and have some replayability with it, especially if critical system files are boss fights or something, I would advise using a virtual machine to install an OS in, and then install the game in that. It should be the safest approach.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 10:59:31 pm »

Sometimes, I stop to ask myself this:

Who in their fucking mind would make games like these?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 11:01:51 pm »

to fuck with you and being the idiot you are, piss on your computers XD

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 11:05:14 pm »

Trolls.
[/post]

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 02:00:52 pm »

Trolls.
Quote from the site says something about it being an "art" game, but it doesn't mean its fun or useful. Seems pretty boring for something that blows up your files.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: [1] 2