Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 1038 times)

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:25:44 am »

Hi fellow dwarfrotressers,

For the problem of the day I would like to submit you the problem of hunting.
In my first fort the hunting was working just fine.
In the last forts I've got a problem with that.

First, on the butcher shop there is no option regarding hunting an animal.
Second, when a designate a dorf for hunting, he fetch a crossbow (that's all right), then go idle and sit in the meeting hall being useless instead of getting his hairy ass out there and try to catch something to feed the fort or die trying.

Now, becuase the solution of setting a mining job for the ex hunter and ordering him to breach a magma pool it's quite ineffective in dealing with the fort food problems (but quite effective in dealing with the lazy bastard), can you help me figure out what is not working here?

Malakai Makaisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:31:15 am »

Does he have any ammo?

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:32:03 am »

Does he have bolts available somewhere? If they are in a barracks he won't take them, you need to have a non-military ammo stockpile where he can pick up ammo. And he needs a quiver too...

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:37:54 am »

He does have ammo, I usually craft some bolts along with the crossbow. But leone you could be right. Maybe it could be the quiver...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:39:29 am »

Hunter with skill enabled, unclaimed ranged weapon, unclaimed quiver, and some ammo.  You can tweak this by assigning your hunter to a squad, and then telling him to equip some type of bow, and you can adjust the ammo in the military screen to make hunters fire a specific type of ammo, even hunters who aren't in squads.  So, your hunters can burn through bone bolts while soldiers fire bronze.  He'll automatically grab a quiver, whichever is closest I believe, and hunt any wildlife, excluding zombie/skeletal wildlife.

Just be aware, while the hunting skill is enabled, your hunter will sleep on the ground and drink water.  This can sour his mood pretty quick, so regularly take your hunters off-duty for a while.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 05:48:42 pm »

Just be aware, while the hunting skill is enabled, your hunter will sleep on the ground and drink water.  This can sour his mood pretty quick, so regularly take your hunters off-duty for a while.

That's funny, I never noticed that, but I usually take 'em off duty periodically anyways, since a high level hunter can easily create a massive backlog in meat, skin, fat, and bone processing very quickly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:27:22 pm »

I combat that, by having three butchers, two tanners, and two kitchens, with everyone assigned to be a butcher and tanner.  I also place these above-ground, within the walls of my fort, to help ensure less cave adaption, miasma if things aren't hauled quickly, and quick access to the nearby kills.  Since I modded ethics to allow goblin butchery, then a well-stocked ambush will have my butchers running wild for a few months.  Large stockpiles for hair and cartilage help, and having a corpse stockpile that only accepts butcherable corpses, directly beside your butchers, will help.  So, for 3 butcher shops in a line, I have a mirrored 3x9 corpse stockpile for them.  Notice, that's Refuse > Corpses, not conventional Corpses, because that one implies dead dwarves and pets.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 12:26:46 am »

can anything be done with cartilage and hair?
i can think of all sorts of uses in real life, i just cant figure any out in DF.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 12:31:50 am »

Cartilage and hair have no use. Atom smash them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 12:34:06 am »

There's mods that allow their use for things like rings and other trade goods, but not really.  You can make a custom reaction for them, if you want.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 01:14:56 am »

Is "my hunter walks into the posh dormitory and sleeps on the floor right next to a bed" considered a bug or working as intended?  :-\
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 02:17:06 am »

This is as intended.  He'll sleep wherever he happens to be as long as hunting is active.  Also expect sleeping hunters to be acres away from the fort, and die during their sleep in an ambush/animal attack

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 02:26:00 am »

It just doesn't make sense IMO... I mean, if he's inside anyway, and not actively out stalking, why wouldn't he just plop into the bed.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 02:30:58 am »

the AI needs more work is why
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 02:42:05 am »

I think there's a token for it in the entity file somewhere, it seems to come to mind...  But yeah, it's annoying when you've got the gate shut, no wildlife, and your hunter is sleeping in the butcher shop.
Pages: [1] 2